ChibiAkumas for Spectrum 128K

People are still making stuff for the Sinclair related machines. Tell us about new games and other software that runs on the Spectrum, ZX80/ZX81, Pentagon and Next.
PeterJ
Site Admin

Re: ChibiAkumas for Spectrum 128K

Post by PeterJ »

There appear to be many contradictory articles, and I need to do some research for future requests. Thanks for the links [mention]Rorthron[/mention].
Alessandro
Dynamite Dan

Post by Alessandro »

I am sorry Keith took those issues so personally that he wanted to be deleted from the forum. I - and surely I am not the only one - don't really think the 131 hours he spent in making the Spectrum version of his game were "a waste of time". I really appreciated the way the designed the game characters and setting, and his attempt to build a different kind of shoot-em-up, developing it simultaneously on different platforms to boot. But anyway - I too wish him good luck with his future projects :)
Andre Leao
Bugaboo

Post by Andre Leao »

We have mixed feelings at Planeta Sinclair at well. Pedro Pimenta's review will be released in a couple of hours. He is very young and never have been playing games like Aftwerburner or Karnov, in the eightes (or nowadays) He was not born yet :). So his sensations about the game are different from mine. His feelings about the game are just average and he reflects that on his review.

I also have done a review, but it will only be available in a few months, at two magazines. I also thinks the game lacks on playbility, but thecnically is impressive, and I evaluated the game according to that (I gave it 4 out of 5).

Also, Afterburner costed, by the time, almost 10 pounds (or 1 pound in Portugal, pirate copies, of course), and this game is free... Don´t forget about that...

I hope Keith just takes all these opinions as something positive, so he can improves on part 2 of the game. I guess people was just expecting too much from this game at the beginning...
R-Tape
Site Admin

Post by R-Tape »

Andre Leao wrote: Tue Oct 30, 2018 4:50 pm I hope Keith just takes all these opinions as something positive
Doubtful.
I guess people was just expecting too much from this game at the beginning...
I think the problem here was not our expectations, but his.

Once it became clear the game wasn't going to sell out, it was made freely available. When there was restrained criticism rather than an avalanche of praise, he spotted his botty, and started slagging off people's inability to follow instructions, the Spectrum's graphical capabilities, the "lousy" memory map and the FUSE debugger. Then asked for his account and all posts to be deleted.

If this can be described as anything other than a big flounce, I'd like to know what it is.

That said, it's a decent game, really, the bosses are fantastic.
AndyC
Dynamite Dan

Post by AndyC »

I can understand some of the frustration of putting a lot of effort into something and then being disappointed by what might seem an underwhelming response. At the same time though, I don't really think that people should fawn all over every game simply because it's a new and given away for free (and even the paid versions aren't really a for-profit effort). It's a good game, a little ambitious perhaps and probably suffers somewhat from being ported to a large number of platforms - there's a reason such "lazy" ports were always criticised back in the day, whether Speccy => CPC/MSX or ST => Amiga, a shared code base has a tendency to highlight deficiencies of the secondary platforms and miss out on some of their advantages.

I think everyone should give it a go - personally I'd go for the original CPC version, the joy of modern retro-computing is we can all fire up emulation of pretty much any platform and give things a go on the machines they were designed for.