Crap Game: Snake but the only instruction is LD

People are still making stuff for the Sinclair related machines. Tell us about new games and other software that runs on the Spectrum, ZX80/ZX81, Pentagon and Next.
djnzx48
Manic Miner

Re: Crap Game: Snake but the only instruction is LD

Post by djnzx48 »

I was thinking of adding WASD keys but that clashes with QAOP which is more 'traditional', IMHO. I'll probably add redefinable keys in a future update. I don't know anything about Amstrad machines, so no idea if anything like this is possible there.

EDIT: Would ESDF do? It's the same basic configuration but just shifted over one.
djnzx48
Manic Miner

Post by djnzx48 »

[mention]MrPixel[/mention] there's a new update here adding ESDF controls in addition to the old QAOP and 5678 controls.
MrPixel
Microbot

Post by MrPixel »

djnzx48 wrote: Thu May 31, 2018 12:46 am I was thinking of adding WASD keys but that clashes with QAOP which is more 'traditional', IMHO. I'll probably add redefinable keys in a future update. I don't know anything about Amstrad machines, so no idea if anything like this is possible there.

EDIT: Would ESDF do? It's the same basic configuration but just shifted over one.
what about I,j,k,l or plain arrow keys. i'm on a latop so the traditional 5,6,7,8 keys are in a straight vertical line, not marked. good game though. i'm amazed that you were able to pull this off. won't run in zxspin assembler though
MrPixel
Microbot

Post by MrPixel »

so, the base game is good, impressive even. however, the snake lacks any sort of ability to reverse direction. maybe add in some sort of bumper (like in sonic CD in Collision Chaos) that would help the snake reverse direction. also, some music. take advantage of the Spectrum 128's capabilities and create something suitable. i would also suggest you remove the ground barriers as well as the ceiling as i had some trouble with them. your decision but keep it in mind. happy coding :D
djnzx48
Manic Miner

Post by djnzx48 »

Yeah there are probably too many obstacles, I spent about 5 minutes making the layout for the game so it could definitely be improved. I'd like to add music but there's no way to play it with just the LD instruction, so it would have to be done with some ROM routine and things could get quite tricky. Not sure quite what you mean about reversing direction?
djnzx48
Manic Miner

Post by djnzx48 »

New version released here: snake.tap

This release adds variety with new levels every 50 points, adds cursor controls, decreases the game speed and adds a brilliant new loading screen courtesy of [mention]R-Tape[/mention]!
Ersh
Manic Miner

Post by Ersh »

That's great! Ruddy brilliant screen by R-Tape, love the snake/logo and the background is just clever as hell. :)
Joefish
Rick Dangerous

Post by Joefish »

It's cheating, loading a screen like that. It should load a block of LDs that then draw the screen! :lol: