Xelda

People are still making stuff for the Sinclair related machines. Tell us about new games and other software that runs on the Spectrum, ZX80/ZX81, Pentagon and Next.
Ralf
Rick Dangerous

Xelda

Post by Ralf »

There is an absolutely new game called Xelda released for Spectrum:

Thread at WOS:
https://www.worldofspectrum.org/forums/ ... sed#latest

Author's website with download:
http://andyspeccysite.simplesite.com/

It's inspired by Zelda - an absolute RPG action classic serie for consoles:

http://www.mobygames.com/game-group/leg ... lda-series

Maybe the author will appear himself here to talk about it but I believe it's okay if I make this thread.

I didn't test it much myself yet but it's supposed to have over 200 location so it would keep you busy for some time for sure :)
R-Tape
Site Admin

Re: Xelda

Post by R-Tape »

It's great, has a touch of Brunilda about it (or even Zelda!). It's annoyingly good that it's his first release, most of us can only manage CGC level first time!
Ralf wrote: Thu Nov 16, 2017 8:03 pm I didn't test it much myself yet but it's supposed to have over 200 location so it would keep you busy for some time for sure :)
The author says in the blurb that it takes him 2 and a half hours to complete. In my experience one 'author hour' is worth at least two of a regular player, perhaps more so in Speccy games.
Juan F. Ramirez
Bugaboo

Post by Juan F. Ramirez »

Just tried it. It's a nice game. And a cool loading screen!
Ralf
Rick Dangerous

Post by Ralf »

Loading screen is from Andy Green, the same guy who does alternate loading screen mentioned in another topic here.

It certainly very good. If only he did also graphics is the game... ;) The exsiting graphics are unfortunately a bit simplistic at moments.
R-Tape
Site Admin

Post by R-Tape »

I'm quite getting into this, some of the early tasks are a bit obvious but it's improving.
Ralf wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2017 10:26 am If only he did also graphics is the game... ;) The exsiting graphics are unfortunately a bit simplistic at moments.
Aye maybe, the sprites are good enough, apart from that recycled Churrera snake that I've seen too many times! It sounds like I'm taking the P?s? and I'm not but I'd file the overall look of the game under 'charming'.
redballoon
Manic Miner

Post by redballoon »

Yeah, I like some of the sprites but I'm afraid the rest of the graphics aren't to my liking and, I'll admit this sounds shallow, puts me off playing the game. But the idea of it all has real potential and for a 1st game! Woah.
andydansby
Microbot

Post by andydansby »

Hi:
I'm Andy, the author of the game. Just saw this posting, so I subscribed to the forums.

If anyone has questions about the scripting for the MK2 engine or game questions, I am happy to answer them, including decisions on design and gameplay.

I have placed the entirety of the source code on my GitHub page including instructions on how to recompile https://github.com/andydansby/MK2Xelda.

One reason I did this game is not only to promote the MK2, but to also provide a good working example of a large-sized game, pseudo inventory, puzzles and triggers. I'm sharing everything with the making of this game and hopefully to get others in the action of making their own games without having to learn assembly or even much with C. The script code is commented and to make your own game, just provide graphics and logic.

Andy Dansby
Last edited by andydansby on Fri Nov 24, 2017 5:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ivanzx
Manic Miner

Post by Ivanzx »

Welcome here, Andy!

Im still in the first dungeon, the other day was wandering around, but still couldnt solve it. I need one day with more time to properly take on it :)

Quite good game ;)
andydansby
Microbot

Post by andydansby »

If you like me to post the solution I can place it here. Note: it's an older solution as I haven't updated the solution in a while.

the darkness of the dungeon makes it seem harder than it actually is.

andy
Ivanzx
Manic Miner

Post by Ivanzx »

andydansby wrote: Fri Nov 24, 2017 5:29 pm If you like me to post the solution I can place it here. Note: it's an older solution as I haven't updated the solution in a while.

the darkness of the dungeon makes it seem harder than it actually is.

andy
Hi Andy, dont worry, I want to keep trying by myself ;) Anyways, If I can not find it after more tries, I will ask for some hints :)