Lorna

People are still making stuff for the Sinclair related machines. Tell us about new games and other software that runs on the Spectrum, ZX80/ZX81, Pentagon and Next.
Andre Leao
Bugaboo

Lorna

Post by Andre Leao »

Lorna in portuguese, including a new loading screen, just released. Physical version will came later, this year. Enjoy, it´s free... :)

https://planetasinclair.blogspot.com/2018/09/lorna.html
Ralf
Rick Dangerous

Re: Lorna

Post by Ralf »

I played Lorna once, actually I was making a recording for Rzx Archive

[media]https://youtu.be/nxE5WbL2O1Q[/media]

It's a very typical Spanish game - pretty, colourful, careless about colour clash and hard as hell :)
So yes, enjoy it. If you can :D
Ast A. Moore
Rick Dangerous

Post by Ast A. Moore »

Crashes on the 128K/+2; and has absolutely no sound during gameplay. Pretty odd.
Every man should plant a tree, build a house, and write a ZX Spectrum game.

Author of A Yankee in Iraq, a 50 fps shoot-’em-up—the first game to utilize the floating bus on the +2A/+3,
and zasm Z80 Assembler syntax highlighter.
Andre Leao
Bugaboo

Post by Andre Leao »

Hum, no sound? Are you using on real hardware or on an emulator?
Ast A. Moore
Rick Dangerous

Post by Ast A. Moore »

Sorry, did have time to run it on an actual Spectrum yesterday. I tried it today, and—I stand corrected—there is, indeed beeper sound effects during gameplay.

A little bit of investigation confirmed my initial suspicion: the program toggles the wrong bit of the port $FE. In the first level/block, the value at address $DFD7 should be changed from $08 to $10.

The game toggles Bit 3, which is the MIC output, rather than Bit 4—the EAR output. While both are technically connected internally via a resistor (and plain shorted on the +2A/+3), the signal then takes different paths, and triggering the MIC output produces a softer sound. Some emulators, apparently choose not to generate any sound when Bit 3 is toggled. (As I was writing this, I tried the game in a third emulator, and the sound work without the modification above.)

The standard practice is to toggle Bit 4, so, the game should be patched to address this issue.
Every man should plant a tree, build a house, and write a ZX Spectrum game.

Author of A Yankee in Iraq, a 50 fps shoot-’em-up—the first game to utilize the floating bus on the +2A/+3,
and zasm Z80 Assembler syntax highlighter.
Andre Leao
Bugaboo

Post by Andre Leao »

Ast A. Moore wrote: Tue Sep 04, 2018 10:47 am Sorry, did have time to run it on an actual Spectrum yesterday. I tried it today, and—I stand corrected—there is, indeed beeper sound effects during gameplay.

A little bit of investigation confirmed my initial suspicion: the program toggles the wrong bit of the port $FE. In the first level/block, the value at address $DFD7 should be changed from $08 to $10.

The game toggles Bit 3, which is the MIC output, rather than Bit 4—the EAR output. While both are technically connected internally via a resistor (and plain shorted on the +2A/+3), the signal then takes different paths, and triggering the MIC output produces a softer sound. Some emulators, apparently choose not to generate any sound when Bit 3 is toggled. (As I was writing this, I tried the game in a third emulator, and the sound work without the modification above.)

The standard practice is to toggle Bit 4, so, the game should be patched to address this issue.
Thanks, will send this technical note to the coder ;)
PeterJ
Site Admin

Post by PeterJ »

[mention]Andre Leao[/mention] when you are speaking to coders would you be able to request their agreement to host their titles? The more permissions the better. Thank you.
Andre Leao
Bugaboo

Post by Andre Leao »

yes, will do that ;)
Andre Leao
Bugaboo

Post by Andre Leao »

Borrocop agreed to be approached. But it has to be in spanish, as he does not speak english. If the admin from Spectrum Computing needs is email contact, I can provide by PM.

He also can found on facebook under the name Alfonso Fernandez Borro.