Atic-Atac Isometric Version

People are still making stuff for the Sinclair related machines. Tell us about new games and other software that runs on the Spectrum, ZX80/ZX81, Pentagon and Next.
arkannoyed
Manic Miner

Re: Atic-Atac Isometric Version

Post by arkannoyed »

4 directions might work well enough if the speed were there. If it ended up being a slow old pony, with boring clunky movement, then even 16 way movement wouldn't help I suppose.

Much of the graphic content is however quite compressable it would appear, which certainly helps from a Speccy point of view!

I have almost managed to build a room with the floorboards wall stone features and doorways based upon an 8x8 sized layout. Doesn't look like it'll be too crowded.

The original only has 3 room sizes which are roughly equivalent to 8x8, 6x8 and 8x6, then the stairwells too of course.
redballoon
Manic Miner

Post by redballoon »

I know you’re only doing this as a proof of concept and all, but since that original screen, the doorways have been move “back” from the main play area so that the frame is flush with the edge much like the original Atic Atac and Knight Lore i.e. the frame doesn’t stick out. That also means the skirting bricks have changed and, with no actual doors yet, you can see the floorboards of a next room fading into darkness through the open door. S’all about the play testing early on.
arkannoyed
Manic Miner

Post by arkannoyed »

Sounds interesting, would love to see a picture of that ;)

I did start to consider the difficulties with collision etc with the doorways protruding into the play area.
redballoon
Manic Miner

Post by redballoon »

arkannoyed wrote: Tue Sep 11, 2018 12:56 pm Sounds interesting, would love to see a picture of that ;)

I did start to consider the difficulties with collision etc with the doorways protruding into the play area.
Bingo! The answer to that is “difficult” and “annoying as fu[REDACTED]”

Well, not so much difficult, just a pain. With it sticking out into the play area, it’s easy to get caught on it and the helpful nudge you get to go through a door won’t help with that. What was interesting to see was just how many people thought that Knight Lore’s door frames protruded into the play area when in actual fact they don’t.
arkannoyed
Manic Miner

Post by arkannoyed »

Just giving the inner part of the doorway some depth give plenty of feeling without actually having to make it get in the way.

The table seemed to be a bit out of proportion when I first saw it, but when you compare it with the item in the original, it is about right. Still seems quite an oversized item in the room though. Need somewhere to put the candle though!
redballoon
Manic Miner

Post by redballoon »

Nothing will be in the correct proportion, but that’s deliberate and deliberate for various reasons.
arkannoyed
Manic Miner

Post by arkannoyed »

In the original Atic Atac, the table serves no purpose except to be an obstacle to slow down progress it would seem!

Is it likely, the Hunchback, Zombie, Dracula and the Mummy will be making and appearance?
arkannoyed
Manic Miner

Post by arkannoyed »

Perhaps tiny Stampers (Tim, Chris) could be hidden somewhere! :D

That sounds a lot like a song lyric! Hold me closer tiny Stamper?! :lol:
redballoon
Manic Miner

Post by redballoon »

All the basic core game and objects will be there, of course, but we’re not doing a straight remake with an isometric viewpoint, though. Note that there are now 4 playable characters, and there are chests! What can the chests possibly do and they aren’t just set dressing. That’s just a couple of things, though.
arkannoyed
Manic Miner

Post by arkannoyed »

Intriguing....
ZXDunny
Manic Miner

Post by ZXDunny »

I remember TomCat's HoH remake had the doors inside the rooms - it totally changed the gameplay mechanism for moving from room to room. Previously you could aim somewhat for the door, and then slide into the opening by maintaining a forward motion but not anymore. That annoyed me enough to never play it past the first three or four screens.
Morkin
Bugaboo

Post by Morkin »

redballoon wrote: Mon Sep 10, 2018 8:23 pmWe've had some nice encouragement from a few ex-Rare staff, as well as from a couple of developers from the Spectrum days and the creator of the recent isometric game "Lumo" (prompting me to get meta and to include "Lumo" easter eggs into my list of graphics).
That's quite cool.

I enjoyed playing Lumo, and all the retro references within the game (though dying 60 times on the same screen got a bit tedious!).
My Speccy site: thirdharmoniser.com
stupidget
Dynamite Dan

Post by stupidget »

Lumo was a great game and perfect for the PS-Vita. But yeah, the constant dying on certain screens was a reet pain in the arse.
bobs
Microbot

Post by bobs »

I've been following this on Twitter, with an eye to a possible remake for a 48K Spectrum. As the game is effectively 2D a lot of what slows down other 'fully' 3D isometric games can be dropped (i.e. height). I was developing a 3D engine (spookily under the title of AticAtac 3D) a couple of years ago, which eventually became my SokoBAArn! game, and that would suit this perfectly - take a look at some of the test GIFs on my Twitter account.

Is anybody else already looking at a possible conversion though? As if so I'll politely move along... :)
Sokurah
Manic Miner

Post by Sokurah »

bobs wrote: Sun Sep 23, 2018 7:18 pm Is anybody else already looking at a possible conversion though?
Well, not me ... but if anyone can then it's you.
Website: Tardis Remakes / Mostly remakes of Arcade and ZX Spectrum games.
My games for the Spectrum: Dingo, The Speccies, The Speccies 2, Vallation & Sqij.
Twitter: Sokurah
redballoon
Manic Miner

Post by redballoon »

Well, we've decided to contact Rare to see if they'll grant us the use of the 'Atic Atac' name.
If they do, then, Aces! If not and want all Rare/Ultimate Play The Game/Atic Atac references removed, then, we'll do that - there's not much - and continue with the game under a new suitably terrible punned title.
redballoon
Manic Miner

Post by redballoon »

Well, the incredibly nice people at Rare have given us their blessing to carry on, which is pretty aces! The only condition is we cannot use the title “Atic Atac” as they don’t want it to be confused as an official Rare game.

So, no changes to the gameplay, content and graphics required other than coming up with a ridiculously badly punned title.
Kweepa
Manic Miner

Post by Kweepa »

That's awesome (and quite unexpected)!
Juan F. Ramirez
Bugaboo

Post by Juan F. Ramirez »

That's good news! Keep up the marvellous work you're doing.
redballoon wrote: Tue Oct 16, 2018 11:53 pm The only condition is we cannot use the title “Atic Atac” as they don’t want it to be confused as an official Rare game.
Well... what about Atac Atic? :mrgreen:
R-Tape
Site Admin

Post by R-Tape »

Great news; pleasantly surprised.
redballoon wrote: Tue Oct 16, 2018 11:53 pm So, no changes to the gameplay, content and graphics required other than coming up with a ridiculously badly punned title.
I'm afraid this one is already half taken.

Rorthron
Dynamite Dan

Post by Rorthron »

Crypt Clash?
Fright Fight?
Spooky Scuffle?
Juan F. Ramirez
Bugaboo

Post by Juan F. Ramirez »

:lol: