Atic-Atac Isometric Version

People are still making stuff for the Sinclair related machines. Tell us about new games and other software that runs on the Spectrum, ZX80/ZX81, Pentagon and Next.
stupidget
Dynamite Dan

Re: Atic-Atac Isometric Version

Post by stupidget »

Sokurah wrote: Mon Sep 28, 2020 1:24 pm
vanpeebles wrote: Mon Sep 28, 2020 1:11 pm What format is it for? :)
Really?
The video is from the PC version, but there will also be a monochrome version for the Spectrum 128K
And a version for Spectrum NEXT.
vanpeebles
Microbot

Post by vanpeebles »

Sokurah wrote: Mon Sep 28, 2020 1:24 pm
vanpeebles wrote: Mon Sep 28, 2020 1:11 pm What format is it for? :)
Really?
The video is from the PC version, but there will also be a monochrome version for the Spectrum 128K
I didn't know if it was for the Next etc.
Sinclair QL Forum: https://www.qlforum.co.uk/
Tatung Einstein Forum: https://www.robheaton.co.uk/tatung/
My Youtube Gaming Channel Acorn 32-bit, X68000 & QL: https://www.youtube.com/user/peetvanpeebles
Stefan
Manic Miner

Post by Stefan »

vanpeebles wrote: Mon Sep 28, 2020 2:39 pm I didn't know if it was for the Next etc.
redballoon
Manic Miner

Post by redballoon »

https://twitter.com/bitglint/status/131 ... 27968?s=21

Aaaaaand the playable demo of the PC version is now available!
Alone Coder
Manic Miner

Post by Alone Coder »

If there will be colour version for ATM-Turbo 2/ZX Evo/Pentagon 2.666LE, it will certainly take the 1st prize at the Your Game 6. Do the authors know?
Sokurah
Manic Miner

Post by Sokurah »

Alone Coder wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 1:34 pm If there will be colour version for ATM-Turbo 2/ZX Evo/Pentagon 2.666LE, it will certainly take the 1st prize at the Your Game 6. Do the authors know?
Well, this is the PC/Mac version, so that will never be on any other platforms. That question should really be directed at Bob Smith as he is the one doing the Spectrum 128K version ... or Kev who is doing the Spectrum Next version (which hasn't made any progress in over a year, but hopefully will soon, now that the main version (PC/Mac) is almost done).
... but I doubt any of those versions will appear on the platforms you mention.
Website: Tardis Remakes / Mostly remakes of Arcade and ZX Spectrum games.
My games for the Spectrum: Dingo, The Speccies, The Speccies 2, Vallation & Sqij.
Twitter: Sokurah
akeley
Dynamite Dan

Post by akeley »

Well, well. I've just had a little go on it, and it does indeed play as good as it looks. And it looks brilliant, especially with scanlines. The sfx is ace too.

To be honest, I 'm not the biggest fan of the Atic Atac style of gameplay - the respawning enemies trope is my old nemesis - and I kind of suggested myself it will be a Knight Lore-like, what with the 3D, sorry, isobliquetric gfx. Alas. But, will buy Spectrum version anyway, since this kind of AAA-quality development really needs supporting and cheering on.
Ast A. Moore
Rick Dangerous

Post by Ast A. Moore »

Sokurah wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 2:38 pm this is the PC/Mac version . . .
Uh, I don’t think there’s a Mac version or that it is even planned.
Every man should plant a tree, build a house, and write a ZX Spectrum game.

Author of A Yankee in Iraq, a 50 fps shoot-’em-up—the first game to utilize the floating bus on the +2A/+3,
and zasm Z80 Assembler syntax highlighter.
Juan F. Ramirez
Bugaboo

Post by Juan F. Ramirez »

Just played it. Great game!
redballoon
Manic Miner

Post by redballoon »

Alone Coder wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 1:34 pm If there will be colour version for ATM-Turbo 2/ZX Evo/Pentagon 2.666LE, it will certainly take the 1st prize at the Your Game 6. Do the authors know?
Sadly, I’m afraid not. We’re just trying to get the PC version finished first. As Sokurah’s already mentioned, we’re not handling the Next and 128K versions, the closest to those machines you mentioned, and they can only wait on our version getting completed.

At the moment it’s PC, Spectrum Next and Bob’s remarkable Spectrum 128K version. Richard recently managed to get the framework running on Android, so that’s always a possibility I kitty in the future. As for a Mac version, well never say never but things are stacked against us on that. Of course, there’s always consoles...
akeley wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 3:01 pm Well, well. I've just had a little go on it, and it does indeed play as good as it looks. And it looks brilliant, especially with scanlines. The sfx is ace too.

To be honest, I 'm not the biggest fan of the Atic Atac style of gameplay - the respawning enemies trope is my old nemesis - and I kind of suggested myself it will be a Knight Lore-like, what with the 3D, sorry, isobliquetric gfx. Alas. But, will buy Spectrum version anyway, since this kind of AAA-quality development really needs supporting and cheering on.
Juan F. Ramirez wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 7:25 pm Just played it. Great game!
Ach, many thanks!! It’s aces hearing people enjoy it!
We’re nearly there! The demo is pretty much the version we originally set out to make until we decided to take the game further!
Nitrowing
Manic Miner

Post by Nitrowing »

I hope they make this available via Steam or Epic - gog.com may be a good place for it too 8-)
bobs
Microbot

Post by bobs »

I can’t speak for Kev (author of the Spectrum Next version) but there is unfortunately no way an extension of my 128k version of the game for the machines you mention would be available for Your Game 6 - as it is highly unlikely the main version will be finished this year, leave alone an extended version by December.
akeley wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 3:01 pm To be honest, I 'm not the biggest fan of the Atic Atac style of gameplay - the respawning enemies trope is my old nemesis - and I kind of suggested myself it will be a Knight Lore-like, what with the 3D, sorry, isobliquetric gfx. Alas. But, will buy Spectrum version anyway, since this kind of AAA-quality development really needs supporting and cheering on.
Thanks for the vote of confidence and support. There’s a page for the game on my itch.io account (see the link below) if you want to follow its development. The current plan is that the game will be released for free.
Nitrowing
Manic Miner

Post by Nitrowing »

bobs wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 12:06 pm The current plan is that the game will be released for free.
I think it would be a steal at £5!
bobs
Microbot

Post by bobs »

Nitrowing wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 1:12 am
bobs wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 12:06 pm The current plan is that the game will be released for free.
I think it would be a steal at £5!
Thank you! However, I believe there is an agreement in place with Rare regarding profit, given how this is very much Atic Atac, and we want to be respectful to all the right holders. (You’d need to ask the authors of the main PC version for more details)
akeley
Dynamite Dan

Post by akeley »

bobs wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 9:30 am Thank you! However, I believe there is an agreement in place with Rare regarding profit, given how this is very much Atic Atac, and we want to be respectful to all the right holders. (You’d need to ask the authors of the main PC version for more details)
Ah...interesting, I did not think about the (c) angle. Oh, well. Perhaps next time, because I hope you will continue....that engine is awesome. Maybe it could be tweaked and used for a less arcade-y adventure a la Knigh...well, some other adventure, let's just say ;)

Plus, we can always "name our own price" on your other games as a way of saying thanks.
stupidget
Dynamite Dan

Post by stupidget »

for all you lucky Windows users here is a Demo!!!!

https://bitglint.itch.io/melkhiors-mansion
Matt_B
Manic Miner

Post by Matt_B »

Nice work!

Promise I won't tell anyone at Microsoft that some of their sprites are in there. :D
Joefish
Rick Dangerous

Post by Joefish »

I thought the graphics were amazing, and then I saw the underground section dungeon walls - OMG!
The pixel artwork on the doors, the dungeon walls, the stairs, the wulf-head on the wall - incredible. :o
bobs
Microbot

Post by bobs »

Matt_B wrote: Fri Dec 11, 2020 10:40 pm Nice work!

Promise I won't tell anyone at Microsoft that some of their sprites are in there. :D
Thanks! The authors of the PC version contacted Rare near the start of the project, and they’re fully onboard with what we’re doing.
Joefish wrote: Sat Dec 12, 2020 12:50 am I thought the graphics were amazing, and then I saw the underground section dungeon walls - OMG!
The pixel artwork on the doors, the dungeon walls, the stairs, the wulf-head on the wall - incredible. :o
The graphics are what first drew me to this project - they’re just so perfectly ‘Ultimate’. Getting it all to fit on the Speccy - even in 128K - is difficult, but it’s certainly getting there. I Need to dress some more of the rooms...
Ralf
Rick Dangerous

Post by Ralf »

I was going to mention the graphics too. They are gorgeous, maybe the best ever done in an isometric Speccy game so far!
Matt_B
Manic Miner

Post by Matt_B »

bobs wrote: Sat Dec 12, 2020 8:17 am Thanks! The authors of the PC version contacted Rare near the start of the project, and they’re fully onboard with what we’re doing.
That's good to hear and I wish more developers were like that.
Daren
Manic Miner

Post by Daren »

f*** me, this is beautiful!
Art
Manic Miner

Post by Art »

This looks really great. My favourite Spectrum graphics in this style was Head over Heels, but this is even better.
Sparky
Manic Miner

Post by Sparky »

This was my all time favorite game for the Speccy back in the day. It simply looks amazing!!
Alex