Ocean Draw

Whether it's Mire Mare or a BASIC tape you found in the attic, it needs to be preserved digitally. Post here and experts can help to do so.

Moderator: pavero

Nomad
Manic Miner

Ocean Draw

Post by Nomad »

The in-house graphics development program used by Ocean.

[media]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=289mF5XO_I0[/media]

Seems not to be in the database. Might be worth contacting the fella and asking for the files.
fenderjaguar
Drutt

Re: Ocean Draw

Post by fenderjaguar »

Is this what came before directx? :lol:
R-Tape
Site Admin

Post by R-Tape »

So they used a modded Melbourne Draw. Interesting video, ta.

It won't meet this update but we'll speak to Mark.
Mike Davies
Microbot

Post by Mike Davies »

This is one of the big reasons Spectrum retro is so interesting recently; Mark R. Jones going through and publishing various bits and pieces of developing Ocean games back-in-the-day. It's fascinating stuff, not just the sprites and graphics, the unused graphics/sound in Wizball, the playable demo of the cancelled Total Recall, documentation about the Imagine mega-games. Each revelation the nostalgia comes rushing back.
Nomad
Manic Miner

Post by Nomad »

R-Tape wrote: Sun Mar 11, 2018 12:32 pm So they used a modded Melbourne Draw. Interesting video, ta.

It won't meet this update but we'll speak to Mark.
Yea according to the video its a heavily modded version of Melbourne draw. They tacked on a sprite animator/editor. It sounds pretty cool. Being able to preserve the actual in-house development tools would be very nice.

I get the feeling this approach was used a lot with regular stock applications. Given the limitations of the commercial releases I would speculate that unofficial/unauthorized extension/patching to the applications would have been common.