Questprobe comics

Whether it's Mire Mare or a BASIC tape you found in the attic, it needs to be preserved digitally. Post here and experts can help to do so.

Moderator: pavero

Juan F. Ramirez
Bugaboo

Questprobe comics

Post by Juan F. Ramirez »

The three titles were sold including a comic. Both Hulk and Spiderman entries include a comic but the Fantastic Four comic hasn't been preserved yet.

Any possibility of getting it? Anyone?
richl
Dizzy

Re: Questprobe comics

Post by richl »

Someone may correct me but I'm pretty sure only the first two actually came with a comic. The Fantastic Four one came in a double cassette case as well so there'd be no space for a comic, unlike with the larger boxes that were used for Hulk and Spidey. I've had a fairly good look online and can't find any evidence that the game came with anything other than an instruction leaflet.

http://www.abandonia.com/en/games/24755/ has a PDF of the comic but you'll notice that it has price on the cover as the three that were produced were also available to buy separately from the games. I think that they may have already been winding things down when the third game came out and obviously the other 9 games that were proposed never actually materialised.
Juan F. Ramirez
Bugaboo

Yes, that's a weird thing.

Whereas #1 comic has 60p prize on the cover, #2 hasn't got any. Both #1 and #2 include any Adventure International mention (even the Spiderman comic include the instructions) and #3 doesn't (only 'Scott Adams').

#3 seems to continue in a next issue, according to the last page, so... was Questprobe a comic series besides a videogame series?
8BitAG
Dynamite Dan

Post by 8BitAG »

8-bit Text Adventure Gamer - games - research.
richl
Dizzy

Post by richl »

I owned a copy of Spider-Man so I can say with absolute certainty that it came with a comic book but having had another look online, I couldn't find a single copy of The Hulk that came with a comic book so I'm not so sure now that it did come with one. I assumed it did because the Spidey game had but it was possibly only available separately, like with the Fantastic Four game.

The Spidey comic that came with the game was slightly smaller than a regular one so it would fit in the box. It was also printed on slightly better quality paper (only marginally better, however). As you said, Juan, it didn't have a price on the cover and there's a red box with text on the bottom left. You could also buy it in shops and obviously that version has a price on the cover and also has either a black Spider-Man head or barcode on the bottom left, depending where you bought it from.

Just to confuse things slightly, I also found copies of the Hulk comic from Marvel UK which have a regular Spider-Man face instead of the black one, a price in pence only (no cents) and I'm reasonably confident that they were also printed on slightly better paper stock as well. I couldn't find any images for any British release for the other two so they may not exist.

TL;DR - Only Spider-Man actually came with a comic.... unless someone with a copy of Hulk knows better ;)
Juan F. Ramirez
Bugaboo

We need a hero who owns the three games in order to show pics to confirm (or not) what we're talking about.