SU issue 127 Great Eight 16 covertape recovered and fixed TZX files

Whether it's Mire Mare or a BASIC tape you found in the attic, it needs to be preserved digitally. Post here and experts can help to do so.

Moderator: pavero

Alessandro
Dynamite Dan

SU issue 127 Great Eight 16 covertape recovered and fixed TZX files

Post by Alessandro »

A thread on the WoS forum made me notice that the Great Eight 16 cover tape was not preserved anywhere - not even on the TZX Vault although it did not contain denied software. I had it in my archive for ages; I received it from Steve of the Vault if I remember correctly. In this case, I wonder why it cannot be downloaded from there, maybe Steve was aware of the fault I am about to describe.

In fact, the file for side B of the tape worked correctly except for Hacks Amazing, which refused to load with any emulator I tried it with. The same happens for the file of the single program hosted in the archive.

The original poster of the aforementioned thread kindly shared a WAV file of the same program he recorded from a copy of the tape. I managed to create a working TZX file out of it with wav2tzx and the -diff 20 switch. I then substituted the old, non-working blocks in the Side 2 TZX file of the tape with these new blocks, respecting all of the pauses of the older file. The result can be downloaded here and possibly added to the archive substituting the links to the single programs in the tape's entry with the two Side A / Side B files.
Einar Saukas
Bugaboo

Re: SU issue 127 Great Eight 16 covertape recovered and fixed TZX files

Post by Einar Saukas »

Done, thanks!