File permissions.

Whether it's Mire Mare or a BASIC tape you found in the attic, it needs to be preserved digitally. Post here and experts can help to do so.
Joefish
Dizzy

File permissions.

Post by Joefish » Thu Nov 23, 2017 5:04 pm

It's overdue but I'd like to give the following permissions:

To ZXDB in general, permission to distribute programs and source code I've posted into any public forum (WoS or Spectrum Computing so far) as demonstrations. So far this includes 50Hurts, my part in ColorPrint48, River Raid Tech Demo, Bi-Colour Scrolling-Buffer Game Engine and the CharAde graphics engine for Sinclair BASIC.

Also any of my crap game contest entries (including but not limited to Paralympic Obstacle Kayaking, Agatha Christie's Parrot, ALS: Tactics, Murk Alpha) should anyone want to.

Also if anyone ever finds a copy of APT Software's Easy Time or Easy Math (unlikely) then those too.

As for completed game releases (namely "Buzzsaw+ (Foxton Locks Mix)") and any more to come, I choose to restrict those to distribution by websites or disk-mags on an individual permission basis. At the moment that applies to World of Spectrum but now also Spectrum Computing. But not any other site using ZXDB without individual permission being sought. If this is not technically possible then I must withold permission from Spectrum Computing until such time as this accommodation can be met in ZXDB.

Also note that with any physical media release version that differs from that offered for download, the physical media version is NOT to be hosted for download, anywhere, without EXCEPTIONAL persmission being obtained.
3 x

PeterJ
Site Admin

Re: File permissions.

Post by PeterJ » Thu Nov 23, 2017 8:28 pm

@Joefish Thank you so much for these permissions. It will be fine to restrict permission to Spectrum Computing. The ZXDB database just contains a path to the filename on the server where the file is stored.
0 x

Joefish
Dizzy

Post by Joefish » Fri Nov 24, 2017 8:39 am

Sorry, but I don't think that's enough. If it means that another site displaying the ZXDB must link to the Spectrum Computing page for the game then OK. If another site just has a direct download link that looks like they are hosting the file and doesn't actually send the user to the particular site then no, I'm not happy with that (for Buzzsaw - I don't mind about the rest so much).

The point is I want the user to come to a site I trust for their download, not just cross-link the download file from any old site. If you can't manage this then I'm going to ask you to remain to refer people to WoS for the download. I don't have any control over who you give access to ZXDB and I made clear permission was not given to ZXDB.
0 x

PeterJ
Site Admin

Post by PeterJ » Fri Nov 24, 2017 7:19 pm

Hi @Joefish I have sent you a PM.
0 x

R-Tape
Site Admin

Post by R-Tape » Wed Nov 29, 2017 4:25 am

Does anyone have a working link to the 50 Hurts demo? Or a copy? PM me if the latter pleez. My original copy went down with a laptop a few years back.
0 x

R-Tape
Site Admin

Post by R-Tape » Wed Nov 29, 2017 9:16 am

Sorted now, tar Bob.
0 x

Einar Saukas
Dizzy

Post by Einar Saukas » Wed Nov 29, 2017 12:46 pm

You will find most of these files at my archive under "_third_party_demos".

EDIT: Actually... almost everything stored at my archive are files I preserved in the last few years since WoS stopped updating. They must be organized into ZXDB now!
1 x

Joefish
Dizzy

Post by Joefish » Wed Nov 29, 2017 2:29 pm

Is there any way of adding aliases to the database? For example, if I search for just "Jason Railton" I get nothing.
0 x

kolbeck
Berk

Post by kolbeck » Wed Nov 29, 2017 7:32 pm

Joefish wrote:
Wed Nov 29, 2017 2:29 pm
Is there any way of adding aliases to the database? For example, if I search for just "Jason Railton" I get nothing.
Yes, it's possible - for example Joffa Smifff also exists in ZXDB as Jonathan M. Smith

But.. it also depends on how the website implements the use of ZXDB, for example
spectrumcomputing gives a result if you search for 'Joffa Smifff' but nothing for 'Jonathan M. Smith' and for ZXInfo.dk it's the other way around - nothing for 'Joffa Smiff' but 15 titles for 'Jonathan M. Smith'

So.. Jason Railton should be an alias for Jason R. Railton?
0 x
http://zxinfo.dk - another ZXDB frontend

Einar Saukas
Dizzy

Post by Einar Saukas » Fri Dec 01, 2017 12:34 pm

I just tested all these searches directly in ZXDB and they all worked fine.

There's probably just some minor detail missing on each site implementation to make it work as expected. I will contact you both tonight, I'm sure we can easily work it out!
1 x