File permissions.

Whether it's Mire Mare or a BASIC tape you found in the attic, it needs to be preserved digitally. Post here and experts can help to do so.
Einar Saukas
Manic Miner

Re: File permissions.

Post by Einar Saukas » Sat Dec 02, 2017 12:49 am

Searches at SpectrumComputing seem to be working better now.
1 x

Joefish
Manic Miner

Post by Joefish » Sun Dec 17, 2017 12:43 pm

OK, another issue has come uo. Why does 'original price' have to say 'freeware'? It could just say 'free'.
But if you're going to use the term 'freeware' then is it possible to add a reminder (there or in the downloads section) that redistribution of the downloadable content without permission is not permitted.
0 x

hikoki
Manic Miner

Post by hikoki » Sun Dec 17, 2017 1:48 pm

Joefish wrote:
Sun Dec 17, 2017 12:43 pm
OK, another issue has come uo. Why does 'original price' have to say 'freeware'? It could just say 'free'.
But if you're going to use the term 'freeware' then is it possible to add a reminder (there or in the downloads section) that redistribution of the downloadable content without permission is not permitted.
Hi Joe. The reason not to allow any site to provide download links? I guess you don't want your games modded, hacked, cracked, sexually-abused :)

This is another freeware game with "redistribution of the downloadable content without permission is not permitted"
https://awesome-table.com/-KTJLy2xX7_E1 ... limpgeddon

Could it be something like itch.io? if a game is donationware they show a button to donate before showing the download link.
By the way, it would be a good idea a way to list donationware games and encourage donations. I provide a tag called 'donate'. I'm sure you can find a better way though.
0 x

Einar Saukas
Manic Miner

Post by Einar Saukas » Sun Dec 17, 2017 4:55 pm

Joefish wrote:
There are several kinds of "free", such as "Freeware", "GPL", "Creative Commons", etc.

ZXDB doesn't just store the information that it's free, it also distinguishes what kind of "free". Exactly like in Martijn's original WoS archive! For instance:

http://www.worldofspectrum.org/infoseek ... id=0027057

Joefish wrote:
But that's exactly the meaning of "Freeware"!

From Wikipedia :
Freeware is software that is available for use at no monetary cost. In other words, while freeware may be used without payment it is most often proprietary software, as usually modification, re-distribution or reverse-engineering without the author's permission is prohibited.
0 x

Rorthron
Manic Miner

Post by Rorthron » Sun Dec 17, 2017 5:06 pm

As far as I can see Joefish would like:

1/ To retain copyright;
2/ To allow SC to distribute the title for free; and
3/ Not grant other sites distribution rights.

Which is the right categorisation for this? It certainly should not be freeware.
0 x

AndyC
Microbot

Post by AndyC » Sun Dec 17, 2017 5:55 pm

Rorthron wrote:
Sun Dec 17, 2017 5:06 pm
As far as I can see Joefish would like:

1/ To retain copyright;
2/ To allow SC to distribute the title for free; and
3/ Not grant other sites distribution rights.

Which is the right categorisation for this? It certainly should not be freeware.
That is the definition of freeware, the fact the author retains ownership and thus may still exert control over when and where a title may be distributed or modified is what distinguishes "freeware" from "public domain".
0 x

Rorthron
Manic Miner

Post by Rorthron » Sun Dec 17, 2017 6:51 pm

Sorry, in my haste I did not read Einar's post properly.
0 x

hikoki
Manic Miner

Post by hikoki » Sun Dec 17, 2017 8:32 pm

Freeware may lead to confussion in the case if Joefish as most of freeware authors permit distribution for nonprofit, so many people read freeware as free to download and distribute for nonprofit.

Free sounds Open-Source too much to mean anything else. It's like encouraging to hack and "improve" to redistribute :)

IMHO it'd better to add an adjective next to 'Freeware' explaining the type of license behind. Perhaps showing restrictions in capital like FOR NONPROFIT ONLY, DISTRIBUTION ONLY ALLOWED FOR SC, PROHIBITED TO DISTRIBUTE HACKED VERSIONS, WINNERS DONT USE COFFEE,etc
Last edited by hikoki on Sun Dec 17, 2017 9:09 pm, edited 3 times in total.
0 x

PeterJ
Site Admin

Post by PeterJ » Sun Dec 17, 2017 8:40 pm

hikoki wrote:
Sun Dec 17, 2017 8:32 pm
Freeware may lead to confussion in the case if Joefish as most of freeware authors permits distribution for nonprofit, so many people reads freeware as free to download and distribute for nonprofit.

Free sounds Open-Source too much to mean anything else.

IMHO it'd better to add an adjective next to 'Freeware' explaining the type of license behind. Perhaps ahowing restrictions in capital like FOR NONPROFIT ONLY, DISTRIBUTION ONLY ALLOWED FOR SC, PROHIBITED TO DISTRIBUTE HACKED VERSIONS, WINNERS DONT USE COFFEE,etc
On a database driven site its not quite that simple, we would need to add an extra field in ZXDB to accommodate this. Lets see what @Joefish comes back with. As @Einar Saukas says we are using the same terminology as WoS has used for years.
0 x

Joefish
Manic Miner

Post by Joefish » Sun Dec 17, 2017 11:42 pm

This was exactly my point. Far too many people do not recognise that as the definition of 'freeware'. They just assume 'free' means the same as 'public domain'. A solution to this problem may simply be a short warning or explanation of that term. Or another option in that field to distinguish between free and unrestricted downloads. I don't see why an extra option to an existing field is so difficult.

But there is also the question of why that word is used for the field 'original price'. What is that field supposed to be, 'price' or 'license'? The word 'freeware' is a 'license', not a 'price'. The 'orginal price' is '£0.00' or 'Free'.
0 x