Microhobby Cassette leaflets

Whether it's Mire Mare or a BASIC tape you found in the attic, it needs to be preserved digitally. Post here and experts can help to do so.

Moderator: pavero

Juan F. Ramirez
Bugaboo

Microhobby Cassette leaflets

Post by Juan F. Ramirez »

I've just found a little treasure in archive.org: The 12 leaflets (from all the issues they published) in PDF, that came in every Microhobby Cassette issue along with the cassette itself. They contained a brief description, instructions and pics of the games. If you're a huge fan of the MH threads you know what I mean! ;)

They were uploaded by [mention]Neil Parsons[/mention] :

https://archive.org/details/microhobbycassette/mode/2up

I don't think it'll be a problem if all these leaflets are added to ZXDB, included in their corresponding entries, so that we can have in every one the TZX, the inlay, the instructions and the leaflet in PDF.

Don't you think, [mention]R-Tape[/mention] , [mention]druellan[/mention] , [mention]Einar Saukas[/mention] , [mention]PeterJ[/mention] ?
Last edited by Juan F. Ramirez on Wed Mar 25, 2020 7:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Juan F. Ramirez
Bugaboo

Re: Microhobby Cassette leaflets

PeterJ
Site Admin

Post by PeterJ »

Yes, excellent find. I'm sure we can sort.
PeterJ
Site Admin

Post by PeterJ »

[mention]Einar Saukas[/mention]

I've created an Excel sheet with three columns:

A - URL of Magazine page with Entry ID
B - URL of archive.org viewer
C - URL of PDF Download

Is this enough to get them included?

[mention]Juan F. Ramirez[/mention] - Whats the story with issues 5 & 6 Being together

Final thing, the Magazine 'Type' is listed as 'Paper', should it be changed to cassette? or 'Paper/Cassette'
Einar Saukas
Bugaboo

Post by Einar Saukas »

I appreciate all this work but... it's too late! I had already added this magazine in the latest ZXDB update, that was released before this thread even started :)

https://spectrumcomputing.co.uk/index.p ... mag_id=129
Juan F. Ramirez
Bugaboo

PeterJ wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 8:40 pm
@Juan F. Ramirez - Whats the story with issues 5 & 6 Being together
It was a summer special issue (which I still got). Two cassettes. Hence the #5 & #6.
PeterJ
Site Admin

Post by PeterJ »

Einar Saukas wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 11:14 pm I appreciate all this work but... it's too late! I had already added this magazine in the latest ZXDB update, that was released before this thread even started :)

https://spectrumcomputing.co.uk/index.p ... mag_id=129
No worries, I'm just too slow for you [mention]Einar Saukas[/mention] ! So the only thing left is my query on the magazine type.
Einar Saukas
Bugaboo

Post by Einar Saukas »

PeterJ wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 8:40 pm Final thing, the Magazine 'Type' is listed as 'Paper', should it be changed to cassette? or 'Paper/Cassette'
It's a paper magazine together with a cover tape. So it says "paper" here and "covertape" here.
Einar Saukas
Bugaboo

Post by Einar Saukas »

BTW I have already indexed contents of these magazine issues. They will appear in the next ZXDB update.
PeterJ
Site Admin

Post by PeterJ »

Einar Saukas wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 8:24 pm
PeterJ wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 8:40 pm Final thing, the Magazine 'Type' is listed as 'Paper', should it be changed to cassette? or 'Paper/Cassette'
It's a paper magazine together with a cover tape. So it says "paper" here and "covertape" here.
I'm not sure I agree as it's not like buying Crash magazine with a covertape, the leaflet and tape were integrated together. The leaflet is of no use without the tape.

However, it's just my opinion and very happy to go with what you have chosen.
Juan F. Ramirez
Bugaboo

PeterJ wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 10:06 pm
Einar Saukas wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 8:24 pm It's a paper magazine together with a cover tape. So it says "paper" here and "covertape" here.
I'm not sure I agree as it's not like buying Crash magazine with a covertape, the leaflet and tape were integrated together. The leaflet is of no use without the tape.
I agree, what you bought was a cassette, it was the main product. The leaflet included brief instructions and description of every game, along with some adverts. No regular sections as in a usual paper magazine.
Einar Saukas
Bugaboo

Post by Einar Saukas »

Sure I understand your points. However:
  • ZXDB doesn't even classify magazines. It's SpectrumComputing that does it! If the magazine links are provided in "scanned paper" formats (JPG, PDF, etc) then SpectrumComputing will say PAPER. If the magazine links are provided in "playable formats" (TAP, DSK, etc) then it will say TAPE or DISK. This information is just provided for convenience and I have nothing to do with this :)
  • In ZXDB, whenever a certain entry page is associated with a magazine, then this entry should be classified as either Covertape (indicating a tape that was bundled together with a paper magazine, for instance Crash) or Electronic Magazine (indicating the tape itself is an electronic magazine, for instance WOOT!). The classification Covertape doesn't mean the tape is less important than the magazine, or vice-versa. This classification was established by old WoS, and ZXDB still follows it.