Raxoft/Scorpion pristine copies

Whether it's Mire Mare or a BASIC tape you found in the attic, it needs to be preserved digitally. Post here and experts can help to do so.

Moderator: pavero

Patrik Rak
Microbot

Raxoft/Scorpion pristine copies

Post by Patrik Rak »

Hmm, sorry to bother you guys, but to my surprise I have found out that WoS currently hosts only Ultrasoft and Proxima releases, but not the original releases we have spread ourselves. Unfortunately, I can't check the WoS permits right now as it is not functioning, but I believe that one of the original conditions for allowing distribution was that I will provide the pristine copies myself and that those will be part of the published material, in addition to any other releases. I am pretty sure of this, as I was always tired of seeing incorrectly cracked versions floating around. I even remember creating emulator friendly version by cracking our own protection of those games, in cases when the protection was giving trouble to some older emulators which were not able to emulate it properly.

So I am now somewhat disconcerted to find out that somehow these versions which I consider authoritative were lost during the course of time. I am of course grateful to people who preserved the derived Proxima and Ultrasoft releases (many of which I never got hold of myself), but I would really appreciate if someone could remedy this.

I created the archive which contains the pristine versions, with the protection intact, as it was originally released, before being tampered with by either Ultrasoft or Proxima. Additionally, it contains those versions I created later by removing this protection, but otherwise are identical to the originals. Plus, it also contains the fixed version of Hexagonia, FWIW. It is here:

http://zxds.raxoft.cz/taps/misc/raxoft-pristine.zip

I would appreciate if these could be added along the current versions, being labeled as Scorpion or Raxoft release as appropriate.

Thanks to whoever will look into this, and sorry for being such a bugger.

Patrik

P.S. Note that there was also a version of Atomix with real anti-copy protection which we sent to Ultrasoft along with special copier program (same thing which we did with Labyrinth before), but they messed up and forgot to tell Slavo Labsky when they asked him to add their screen, so he accidentally replaced the loader and triggered the protection. Unlike Labyrinth, which has shown clear message that the game was pirated, Atomix just crashed after few levels. I am not sure when they found out, but they have charged us for the ton of cassettes they have duplicated using this version. As for this version, I don't have it preserved as-is, I only have the files I used for mastering it, so while I could perhaps recreate it, for not having the fondest memory of all that, I think it's fine if it never sees the light again. :)