Sabre Wulf standard case inlay

Whether it's Mire Mare or a BASIC tape you found in the attic, it needs to be preserved digitally. Post here and experts can help to do so.

Moderator: pavero

Neil Parsons
Manic Miner

Re: Sabre Wulf standard case inlay

Post by Neil Parsons »

I can say, talking about quality paper of the tape inlay, it seems quite similar to standard and official releases made by most of software companies in the past. If it's fake or not, there's one thing someone could do, if possible: asking to Tim and Chris Stamper directly about this issue (mission impossible??). If there would be a way to show the tape to all of you, touch and feel it... ;)

In my Twitter account I've shown the copies I own of Ultimate's game, so you can see the difference between them, except for Dro Soft edition.
Last edited by Neil Parsons on Tue Jan 09, 2018 7:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Neil Parsons
Manic Miner

Post by Neil Parsons »

I'd be glad to rework on the scans for more detail and remove blur from them. In the meantime, I've already asked in my Twitter account for any confirmation about this particular issue.

EDIT: New scans of the inlay already made, again to 300dpi and no filter used. Front and reverse sides uploaded.
Juan F. Ramirez
Bugaboo

Post by Juan F. Ramirez »

Neil Parsons wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2018 7:33 pm If it's fake or not, there's one thing someone could do, if possible: asking to Tim and Chris Stamper directly about this issue (mission impossible??). If there would be a way to show the tape to all of you, touch and feel it... ;)
Be sure if I could make contact with the Stamper bros., I'd make a more important question to them... ;)

Anyway, all this is confusing. The inlay seems genuine to me :?:
Neil Parsons
Manic Miner

Post by Neil Parsons »

According to Jesus M. del Vas (a quite well-known member of the ZX Spectrum scene in Spain) via Twitter, he confirms they are jewel versions that were sold in packs at a lower price, or separately. There is another version of Saber Wulf with a white spine that could even be earlier than the cardboard box itself.
Rorthron
Dynamite Dan

Post by Rorthron »

Neil Parsons wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2018 8:53 pm According to Jesus M. del Vas (a quite well-known member of the ZX Spectrum scene in Spain) via Twitter, he confirms they are jewel versions that were sold in packs at a lower price, or separately. There is another version of Saber Wulf with a white spine that could even be earlier than the cardboard box itself.
Arrr! Shiver me timbers and splice the mainbrace! Thar be dubloons on the Spanish Main!

Spanish pirates, perhaps?
Juan F. Ramirez
Bugaboo

JMV is a very reliable source of info. He usually show pics of his tape collection via Twitter.

But when he say 'jewel', what does he mean?
ZXDunny
Manic Miner

Post by ZXDunny »

Juan F. Ramirez wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2018 7:04 amBut when he say 'jewel', what does he mean?
Some very, very rare cassette cases were cut from single (very large) rubies and emeralds, and in the case of the really expensive version of Sabre Wulf, diamond. They were limited-run, only ten or so of each title were made and usually went to private collectors. It's rumoured that the first jewel-cased (diamond) SabreWulf is held at the Tower of London, and kept away from the public for Royal viewing only.
R-Tape
Site Admin

Post by R-Tape »

[mention]PeterJ[/mention], irrespective of whether this curio should be in the archive or not, are we currently able to go around Archive.org with inlays?
ZXDunny wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2018 4:08 pm Some very, very rare cassette cases were cut from single (very large) rubies and emeralds, and in the case of the really expensive version of Sabre Wulf, diamond. They were limited-run, only ten or so of each title were made and usually went to private collectors. It's rumoured that the first jewel-cased (diamond) SabreWulf is held at the Tower of London, and kept away from the public for Royal viewing only.
Bollocks! Everyone knows the Queen prefers Atic Atac, she plays as the Serf.
PaulJ
Microbot

Post by PaulJ »

I have this ULTRA RARE compilation.. I got it as part of a recent job lot... It must be worth millions!!
Maybe some special anniversary release or something?
I was amazed at the quality when I first saw it - no doubt Ultimate always go out of their way to produce the best.

Paul Jenkinson | The Spectrum Show & other stuff!
Neil Parsons
Manic Miner

Post by Neil Parsons »

Juan F. Ramirez wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2018 7:04 am But when he say 'jewel', what does he mean?
Jewel = standard case.
Juan F. Ramirez
Bugaboo

Neil Parsons wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2018 10:02 am
Juan F. Ramirez wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2018 7:04 am But when he say 'jewel', what does he mean?
Jewel = standard case.
So they're legal copies, aren't they? :?:
Neil Parsons
Manic Miner

Post by Neil Parsons »

For JMV, no doubt of it.
arkannoyed
Manic Miner

Post by arkannoyed »

I have to say, it looks like a very nicely done inlay if it is a copy someones done. In fact, I like it so much, I did a digital recreation of it by tracing the scan, as I've done with the proper booklets that came inside the big boxed titles.

just finished the inside scan, still working on the front.

PDF

https://dl.dropbox.com/s/p6q3aiv8n9y2cj ... s.pdf?dl=1

The illustrator file does have guides indicating where to fold, but I could add those to a printable PDF if anyone wants it.

The text is all a bit misaligned, so I've 'subtly' corrected it and straightened it in this version. Also moved the 2nd and 3rd pages left a little, as they sit very close to the folds. Perhaps thats an indication that its indeed a reproduction of some kind, as ULTIMATE probably would've been more careful on that unless they didn't care much as it was a cheaper version.
arkannoyed
Manic Miner

Post by arkannoyed »

Phew!!

That took longer than expected!

So heres the front of the inlay;

and the link to 27mb of fully vectorised inlay (front and back)

https://dl.dropbox.com/s/khjydwmj5bdnl5 ... 8.pdf?dl=1

I need to now do a version with the original poster art, which will hopefully give a smaller file size too!
arkannoyed
Manic Miner

Post by arkannoyed »

I don't suppose anyones got a scan of the cassette from this release have they? Or is it the same as the normal one from the big box?
arkannoyed
Manic Miner

Post by arkannoyed »

Better version here using the poster elements applied over a background to keep it looking cleaner.

and the PDF;

https://dl.dropbox.com/s/6tvugwxotrqczo ... 2.pdf?dl=1

I now need to trace the mono SW logo on the cassette label, as its different to the cover logo. Then the label is done too.

WIP

arkannoyed
Manic Miner

Post by arkannoyed »

Would these type of digital preservations qualify as being suitable to put on the site at all?

If so, I can provide the full instructions I've already done some time ago for;

Alien 8
Knight Lore
Underwurlde
Bubbler

There are quite a few others that are in an incomplete state that I just need motivation, and time, to complete.
R-Tape
Site Admin

Post by R-Tape »

Cheers. If these were uploaded to the site how would they be best described with a short comment underneath?

I'll have a crack with [mention]PeterJ[/mention], the 27Mb vector is probably too hefty to justifty IMO, but the others are good.
arkannoyed
Manic Miner

Post by arkannoyed »

I think it would be best to disregard the full vectorised one, as that was really just an experiment. Clearly the one with the elements used from the poster is better, and allows the images to be compressed within the PDF, giving even the Hi-res one as only 3.5mb-ish.
arkannoyed
Manic Miner

Post by arkannoyed »

The Full sizes instructions are quite big too, but if I save them with slightly reduced quality image parts, then I should be able to bring them down to sensible levels.
Rorthron
Dynamite Dan

Post by Rorthron »

Can I just check that these inlays are modern reproductions?

Also are they jewel-case inlays? It seems to me very likely the jewel cases in this thread are not authorised Ultimate releases.
arkannoyed
Manic Miner

Post by arkannoyed »

No, only this Sabre Wulf one earlier in this thread is the Jewel cased one.

Everything else is the real deal Ultimate Stuff.

These are traced over the hi-res scans creating a very precise text version using either Isbell or Benguiat fonts depending upon which game it is.

The Graphic aspects of the inlays or instruction booklets are then added in.

The tracing of the text is the time consuming part. If it were just the case that you could type the text straight in once you've decided upon the font point size, then it would be easy. Some of the characters use rather odd spacing and in some cases the individual letters need resizing to match the scans.

All of the scans suffer from some misalignment to a certain degree, which I can correct.

In the end I just end up with a nice clean looking version of the original, thats much easier to appreciate when viewed on a monitor etc.
arkannoyed
Manic Miner

Post by arkannoyed »

Interestingly though, the Jewel cased inlays are virtually identical to the large format ones in terms of all of the text spacing etc, so I could quite easily re-create or indeed create any of the games in the same style.

I've got a WIP version of ATIC ATAC in the style of the Large format instructions a-la Sabr Wulf, Underwurlde, Knight Lore etc.

Also Spectrumized versions of Staff of Karnath etc.