Sabre Wulf standard case inlay

Whether it's Mire Mare or a BASIC tape you found in the attic, it needs to be preserved digitally. Post here and experts can help to do so.

Moderator: pavero

Rorthron
Dynamite Dan

Re: Sabre Wulf standard case inlay

Post by Rorthron »

Can I just check that these inlays are modern reproductions?

Also are they jewel-case inlays? It seems to me very likely the jewel cases in this thread are not authorised Ultimate releases.
arkannoyed
Manic Miner

Post by arkannoyed »

No, only this Sabre Wulf one earlier in this thread is the Jewel cased one.

Everything else is the real deal Ultimate Stuff.

These are traced over the hi-res scans creating a very precise text version using either Isbell or Benguiat fonts depending upon which game it is.

The Graphic aspects of the inlays or instruction booklets are then added in.

The tracing of the text is the time consuming part. If it were just the case that you could type the text straight in once you've decided upon the font point size, then it would be easy. Some of the characters use rather odd spacing and in some cases the individual letters need resizing to match the scans.

All of the scans suffer from some misalignment to a certain degree, which I can correct.

In the end I just end up with a nice clean looking version of the original, thats much easier to appreciate when viewed on a monitor etc.
arkannoyed
Manic Miner

Post by arkannoyed »

Interestingly though, the Jewel cased inlays are virtually identical to the large format ones in terms of all of the text spacing etc, so I could quite easily re-create or indeed create any of the games in the same style.

I've got a WIP version of ATIC ATAC in the style of the Large format instructions a-la Sabr Wulf, Underwurlde, Knight Lore etc.

Also Spectrumized versions of Staff of Karnath etc.