ZX-81 stuff for preservation

Whether it's Mire Mare or a BASIC tape you found in the attic, it needs to be preserved digitally. Post here and experts can help to do so.

Moderator: pavero

Neil Parsons
Manic Miner

ZX-81 stuff for preservation

Post by Neil Parsons »

Hi,

I recently own a bunch of ZX-81 programs after winning an auction elsewhere in the net. Some of these tapes were labelled and produced by Indescomp, a pioneer Spanish distributing company and software producer in the early years of Sinclair home computers. Also, a friend of mine passed me several tape inlay scans by Indescomp and few TZX images for emulation, too. All ZX81 releases. I wonder if there is a bit of interest in this stuff, while I can ask another people for a possible upload and maintenance of them somewhere in the net. Most of this material I already have in my hands, hasn't been preserved for ages, until now.

Indescomp releases I have here as scanned tape inlays and few images in TZX format, are in no particular order:

- Mazogs, by Don Priestley (originally released by Bug-Byte Ltd)
- 3D Monster Maze, by J. K. Greye
- ZX Label, by Hestacrest (an absolute M.I.A.)
- Starfighter / Invasion Force, both games released by Artic Computing and reunited in a same tape.
- El Dictador (The Dictator), by Don Priestley (originally released by Bug Byte Ltd)
- Invasores - no idea about the real name of this videogame, not credited on tape inlay. Only says on the back © Copyright Indescomp and nothing else. Only tape inlay available. No instructions.
- Comecocos (Pac-Man clone by John Hardman, as shown once I listed it into BASIC. Puckman by Hewson Consultants. Inner texts in Spanish) - Tape inlay without instructions, TZX and WAV files are available.
- Pack-8 (three small videogames in one set: Invasores, Reactores and Break-Out)
- Sistemas de Numeración - Tape inlay, label and TZX available.

Also, from this job lot of ZX-81 software I got a Quicksilva original release as you can see in upper snapshot: QS Scramble, which has its own entry in this site, but neither tape inlay and instructions, nor a .P or .TZX file are available there. I have scanned both artwork and instructions. Rest of stuff I have in blank tapes, needs to be checked by me or someone else.

Hope to get some news and see what I can do with them in a short or medium term. Thank you for any advice.
RMartins
Manic Miner

Re: ZX-81 stuff for preservation

Post by RMartins »

Preservation is always something to strive for.

I'm sure the site admins, will contact you about these.
PeterJ
Site Admin

Post by PeterJ »

Thanks for posting [mention]Neil Parsons[/mention] We would love to help preserve these titles. We will contact you to see how we can help. I know [mention]kolbeck[/mention] is also very keen on the ZX81.
kolbeck
Manic Miner

Post by kolbeck »

Yes, let’s preserve and add them to zxdb

/thomas
https://api.zxinfo.dk/v3/ - ZXDB API for developers
zxinfo-file-browser - Cross platform app to manage your files
https://zxinfo.dk - another ZXDB frontend
Einar Saukas
Bugaboo

Post by Einar Saukas »

Most people doesn't seem to realize that ZXDB is probably the largest database of ZX81 titles, with almost 1,700 titles. It includes all titles from zx81stuff.org.uk (with proper links so they can be downloaded from there), plus hundreds of other titles (with playable files provided directly). Try searching for ZX81 titles from Spectrum Computing, to see what I mean.

There are still quite a few ZX81 titles still missing from ZXDB, especially modern games. Thomas is leading the effort to add them all.

Additional ZX81 titles are very much welcome, just like ZX-Spectrum titles!
Einar Saukas
Bugaboo

Post by Einar Saukas »

This new information was kindly added to ZXDB by Thomas. Thanks everybody!

We still need to add the actual tape images, inlays and instructions. Are they available somewhere?
R-Tape
Site Admin

Post by R-Tape »

I've got it but haven't collated it yet. Can it wait til next time?
Einar Saukas
Bugaboo

Post by Einar Saukas »

Sure!