Help wanted - CSS CGC entries

Whether it's Mire Mare or a BASIC tape you found in the attic, it needs to be preserved digitally. Post here and experts can help to do so.

Moderator: pavero

kolbeck
Manic Miner

Re: Help wanted - CSS CGC entries

Post by kolbeck »

Sure i Will have a look at it.

/T
https://api.zxinfo.dk/v3/ - ZXDB API for developers
zxinfo-file-browser - Cross platform app to manage your files
https://zxinfo.dk - another ZXDB frontend
Einar Saukas
Bugaboo

Post by Einar Saukas »

kolbeck wrote: Sun Apr 05, 2020 7:16 pm Sure i Will have a look at it.
Thank you!
R-Tape
Site Admin

Post by R-Tape »

[mention]Manu128k[/mention], perhaps you could just send me the Spectrum-only screens as before, and make a separate list of ZX81 stuff (no need for screenshots). I could then forward the relevant bits to [mention]kolbeck[/mention]?
kolbeck
Manic Miner

Post by kolbeck »

I've gone through the zx81 mentioned so far in this thread and made screenshots for the following:

CSSCrapGamesCompetition2006
---
eroticen.p (missing)
intercep.p (missing)
interc-u.p (same as above with UDG)
mfield.p (missing)
outsch.p (missing)
tt.p - tron trails (missing)

CSSCrapGamesCompetition2008
---
barcode hangman (0031021, no machine) ZX Spectrum 16K & ZX81 16K ()
MTV More Tea Vicar zx81 16k - 0031065

CSSCrapGamesCompetition2008
--
BFS81 - Sinclair Blind Flight Simulator 2009 for the ZX81 (missing, ZX Spec exists)

[mention]R-Tape[/mention] - I will create a sheet for you with missing titles (please give me an ID).

/Thomas
Manu128k
Dizzy

Post by Manu128k »

[mention]R-Tape[/mention] I've sent you the screens in a PM
Thanks [mention]Einar Saukas[/mention] [mention]kolbeck[/mention] for your help
Einar Saukas
Bugaboo

Post by Einar Saukas »

Manu128k wrote: Sun Apr 05, 2020 11:20 pm @R-Tape I've sent you the screens in a PM
Thanks @Einar Saukas @kolbeck for your help
Thank you!!!
kolbeck
Manic Miner

Post by kolbeck »

Update from my side. I've gone through all entries from 1996-2016 and scanned for ZX81 entries. I'll prepare a sheet for [mention]R-Tape[/mention] with new entries and provide screenshots as well.

/Thomas
Einar Saukas
Bugaboo

Post by Einar Saukas »

kolbeck wrote: Mon Apr 06, 2020 10:10 am Update from my side. I've gone through all entries from 1996-2016 and scanned for ZX81 entries. I'll prepare a sheet for @R-Tape with new entries and provide screenshots as well.
Awesome!
Spud
Manic Miner

Post by Spud »

Spud wrote: Wed Mar 21, 2018 1:09 pm I will do 2016. Not much happened that year and my time is somewhat limited at the moment.
60% through, will hopefully complete in a day or two!
PROSM
Manic Miner

Post by PROSM »

2002's entries are done. Sent you an email, [mention]R-Tape[/mention].
All software to-date
Working on something, as always.
PeterJ
Site Admin

Post by PeterJ »

Final batch of Year 2000 just sent to [mention]R-Tape[/mention]
R-Tape
Site Admin

Post by R-Tape »

I'm collating the CGC 2009 files (thanks to @Guesser for doing the screens ages ago.

Sofa Move Simulator is only available as a .tar source code, to be compiled with z88dk. Quite an impressive wire frame 'game' by all accounts. I'm not familiar with z88dk or C - is anyone willing to put together a TAP file or snapshot for the archive? Here's the source code if so.
flatduckrecords
Manic Miner

Post by flatduckrecords »

R-Tape wrote: Sat May 28, 2022 12:08 pmSofa Move Simulator
Oh there are already compiled BIN and TAP files included in that tarball. I've extracted the TAP so it can be added as a separate download: sofarot.tap.
more details…
I had a go at recompiling it anyway. It uses the Classic Library, but Laszlo's line-drawing routine (specifically the way it uses zx_pxy2saddr to plot directly to the screen) doesn't seem to work with the version of Z88DK I have. I got it to work by swapping that out for the standard draw() function instead (from the Z88DK graphics library). I'm not sure what the custom drawing routine was intending to do differently (If you move the sofa out of bounds it gets a bit interesting*, whereas the '09 version seems to handle that better—although you get corrupted attributes instead) but the game is playable (and winnable!) using the standard function. It's also a shade faster, but I assume the library has been optimised a bit since 2009?

In any case, all the clever transformation, projection and collision-detection works as-is.

* an inverted space-time hypersofa wouldn't be entirely out of place in a Dirk Gently novel anyway, I suppose?
R-Tape
Site Admin

Post by R-Tape »

flatduckrecords wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 8:16 pm Oh there are already compiled BIN and TAP files included in that tarball. I've extracted the TAP so it can be added as a separate download: sofarot.tap.
Splendid fellow! I couldn't get your link to work. However your info gave me enough to know what I needed to do. I'm not familiar with tar files (in fact they sound a bit icky), but 7zip extracted it nice and the TAP is now added to the queue.

It's quite a sight seeing that sofa move when you whack the emulator to full blast!
flatduckrecords
Manic Miner

Post by flatduckrecords »

Ah, sorry for the duff link, glad you got it sorted. Such a great idea for a CGC entry. Yeah—I was surprised how solid it feels once you see it moving, even without any shading. I haven’t tried it overclocked yet!

Did you manage to free the sofa? (There’s nothing in the source code about office doors, time travel or restaurant bookings, so plenty of scope for a sequel…)
firelord
Manic Miner

Post by firelord »

R-Tape wrote: Wed Mar 21, 2018 11:30 am If anyone is looking to help and wants a project to focus on then this thread is for you!

The archive is lacking screenshots and info checking for most Comp Sys Sinclair Crap Games competition entries.

If you want to help here’s what to do:

1 - Pick a year after 2001 and announce it in this thread to avoid duplication.
2 – find the year, using the SC search, e.g. CSS CGC 2001
3 – the SC page for this will have a list of entries and a .zip bundle of them all. Download the bundle.
4 – Load each game, check the SC page has the title spelt correctly and the correct author is attributed. Make a Notepad or Excel list of any corrections stating the title, and a note describing the correction.
5 – Take screenshots as .scr. 1 loading screen (if there is one) and 1 in game screen will be fine. Details on how to do this here.
6 – zip the screenshots and correction list and make available to me, either PM me so we can arrange or upload somewhere.

This mission requires a strong stomach, but the rewards will be beyond your wildest dreams.

Anyone?
Is it possible to save using "Print as PDF" the reviews for each entry (in the sites that are stil alive) so that they can be preserved? The reviews are part of the fun too!
R-Tape
Site Admin

Post by R-Tape »

firelord wrote: Fri Jul 08, 2022 12:52 pm Is it possible to save using "Print as PDF" the reviews for each entry (in the sites that are stil alive) so that they can be preserved? The reviews are part of the fun too!
Yeah I'd like to see each site preserved too. I converted my own 2013 CGC blogspot using a blogger app and the PDF is preserved here. Other years are in different formats, some have long reviews, some just one sentence describing the game. Some also have a lot of extra information that is not reviews. Maybe preserving each site in a PDF magazine format would work.

It would be nice, but a big job for someone. I'm concentrating on getting software and screenshots up to date first. If there is a year you want to try then please give it a go.
firelord
Manic Miner

Post by firelord »

I was thinking just printing on PDF single pages if the review.
Not all pages look good on pdf but its better than nothing.

I could try to do one two years - can't guarantee quality though.
R-Tape
Site Admin

Post by R-Tape »

firelord wrote: Fri Jul 08, 2022 4:06 pm I was thinking just printing on PDF single pages if the review.
Not all pages look good on pdf but its better than nothing.

I could try to do one two years - can't guarantee quality though.
Cheers. Maybe try a quick taster before committing to a whole year? See how it looks.
firelord
Manic Miner

Post by firelord »

eg 2020 was easy with wkhtmltox - https://www.mediafire.com/file/hw0s35t4 ... s.zip/file

2014: https://www.mediafire.com/file/z976xgk2 ... p.zip/file

This is a temp upload I can upload somewhere more permanent if needed/
just need to manually edit game filenames
firelord
Manic Miner

Post by firelord »

TMD2003
Rick Dangerous

Post by TMD2003 »

I've got a ready-made package of my 2021 site - and also GReW's 2017 site which I'm also hosting (because GReW isn't).
Spectribution: Dr. Jim's Sinclair computing pages.
Features my own programs, modified type-ins, RZXs, character sets & UDGs, and QL type-ins... so far!