Screenshot fixes

Whether it's Mire Mare or a BASIC tape you found in the attic, it needs to be preserved digitally. Post here and experts can help to do so.
djnzx48
Manic Miner

Re: Site Updates

Post by djnzx48 » Thu Apr 26, 2018 9:35 pm

What about the Heavy on the Magick loading screen? Is it supposed to have that "Cracked by Lord French" message at the bottom?
0 x

R-Tape
Site Admin

Re: Screenshot fixes

Post by R-Tape » Fri Apr 27, 2018 7:01 am

Probably not! I doubt it was Greg Follis's nom de plume.

Does anyone have an uncracked version we can get a loading screen from?
0 x

bob_fossil
Microbot

Post by bob_fossil » Fri Apr 27, 2018 7:19 am

I have a .tzx but the issue is that the original turbo loader cycles between a series of panels whilst loading to give the illusion of an animated screen. The guy who cracked the tape has made a composite screen and added his tag at the bottom. If you wanted the full loading screen, you could just blank the bottom two lines out. I have taken .scr files for all the animation stages of the loader (there's 9 in total) if you want to preserve those.
1 x

R-Tape
Site Admin

Post by R-Tape » Fri Apr 27, 2018 8:12 am

Ah if it's a screen from a crack that is a composite then it's even more wrong.
If you wanted the full loading screen, you could just blank the bottom two lines out.
For shame! Screen doctoring is against ZXDB policy! 3 Hail Marys and a game of SQIJ.

Would this be the correct loading screen then? Can someone check their original bona fide cassette?

0 x

Ast A. Moore
Dynamite Dan

Post by Ast A. Moore » Fri Apr 27, 2018 8:16 am

bob_fossil wrote:
Fri Apr 27, 2018 7:19 am
the original turbo loader cycles between a series of panels whilst loading to give the illusion of an animated screen.
Aye. Plus there’s a loading counter.
0 x
Every man should plant a tree, build a house, and write a ZX Spectrum game.

Author of A Yankee in Iraq, a 50 fps shoot-’em-up—the first game to utilize the floating bus on the +2A/+3,
and zasm Z80 Assembler syntax highlighter.

Ast A. Moore
Dynamite Dan

Post by Ast A. Moore » Fri Apr 27, 2018 8:25 am

R-Tape wrote:
Fri Apr 27, 2018 8:12 am
For shame! Screen doctoring is against ZXDB policy!
Heh. Yeah, that SCR format policy will end up biting you, guys, in the fleshy bits. ;)
R-Tape wrote:
Fri Apr 27, 2018 8:12 am
Would this be the correct loading screen then? Can someone check their original bona fide cassette?
This is what the loading process looks like:
1 x

Author of A Yankee in Iraq, a 50 fps shoot-’em-up—the first game to utilize the floating bus on the +2A/+3,

djnzx48
Manic Miner

Post by djnzx48 » Fri Apr 27, 2018 8:29 am

It's amusing how these doctored programs end up in the archives in the first place. For ages the only version of JSW I had ever played was the "SAM and JOB cracked this program" version from one of those shovelware CDs.
0 x

R-Tape
Site Admin

Post by R-Tape » Fri Apr 27, 2018 8:49 am

Thanks Ast, I'm not very familiar with this game.
bob_fossil wrote:
Fri Apr 27, 2018 7:19 am
I have taken .scr files for all the animation stages of the loader (there's 9 in total) if you want to preserve those.
Ta bob.

So I guess this is the way to go?
0 x

Ast A. Moore
Dynamite Dan

Post by Ast A. Moore » Fri Apr 27, 2018 8:58 am

R-Tape wrote:
Fri Apr 27, 2018 8:49 am
Thanks Ast, I'm not very familiar with this game.
Neither am I, but I keep a fairly extensive TZX archive of classic Spectrum games because many loaders are extremely informative from a programmer’s standpoint. Oftentimes, the loader was the only reason I kept a game.
0 x

Ralf
Dynamite Dan

Post by Ralf » Fri Apr 27, 2018 9:03 am

I'd say it's a bit crazy to have 9 loading screens for a game.
And what about Technician Ted? Are we going to capture any position of these little walking guys? ;)

In case of Heavy on The Magick personally I would use just one of these combinations, maybe the one which diplays the game title.

And finally yes, if you believed that all games from WOS are 100% recorded from original cassettes, then you are wrong. Yes, people did there an amazing job of creating "perfect tzx" files but there is still a lot of early .tap files are coming from cracks.
Not to say that technically every .tap file which has custom loader replaced is a crack ;)
2 x