Musical tape loaders

Whether it's Mire Mare or a BASIC tape you found in the attic, it needs to be preserved digitally. Post here and experts can help to do so.

Moderator: pavero

Ast A. Moore
Rick Dangerous

Re: Musical tape loaders

Post by Ast A. Moore »

djnzx48 wrote: Sun Jul 08, 2018 10:56 am So what exactly makes this 'not a loader' then? It looks like one to me.
Holy moly! I originally only managed to have a precursory look at it, and it didn’t look to me it it actually loaded anything. I just tried to play back the audio file in Fuse and . . . :o

Seriously, man, I thought you were joking with that screen shot.

My apologies. This requires serious investigation.

[mention]R-Tape[/mention] I kid you not. It really friggin’ loads that screen while playing the goddamn tune!

P.S. My point about the use of the IN F,(C) instruction still stands, though (don’t press any keys while the screen is loading), but doesn’t make me any less wrong on the whole loader vs. not-a-loader front.
Every man should plant a tree, build a house, and write a ZX Spectrum game.

Author of A Yankee in Iraq, a 50 fps shoot-’em-up—the first game to utilize the floating bus on the +2A/+3,
and zasm Z80 Assembler syntax highlighter.
MatGubbins
Dynamite Dan

Post by MatGubbins »

It does load in Fuse..... yup.

Options --> Media. Untick fast loading.

Drag the .wav file into the emulator and it will load in the first part and stop.

Media --> Tape --> Play (or press F8) and it will load in the rest of the file.

Impressive!
R-Tape
Site Admin

Post by R-Tape »

Thanks Mat et al. Impressive indeed. I'm going to need to go to a darkened room with a flannel on my forehead trying to work out how this actually works.

Now that we know the .wav works, can anyone make a functioning TZX from it? 4Mb is a sizeable file.
Ast A. Moore
Rick Dangerous

Post by Ast A. Moore »

R-Tape wrote: Sun Jul 08, 2018 2:08 pm Thanks Mat et al. Impressive indeed. I'm going to need to go to a darkened room with a flannel on my forehead trying to work out how this actually works.
I think I know how it works. I theory, a least.
R-Tape wrote: Sun Jul 08, 2018 2:08 pmNow that we know the .wav works, can anyone make a functioning TZX from it? 4Mb is a sizeable file.
Sure. It’s still 636K, though. (Grab quickly. The link expires in a few days.)

Author of A Yankee in Iraq, a 50 fps shoot-’em-up—the first game to utilize the floating bus on the +2A/+3,
R-Tape
Site Admin

Post by R-Tape »

Below is the comment I've put in the spreadsheet to add to ZXDB. I think it betrays the fact that I don't really understand it but is probably good enough. If someone wants to suggest something better/more accurate (yet concise) please do so.

"Uses tape loading sounds to play "Oh Susannah" while loading graphics."
Ast A. Moore wrote: Sun Jul 08, 2018 2:17 pm Sure. It’s still 636K, though. (Grab quickly. The link expires in a few days.)
Ta! I'm not sure why mine didn't work :?
Ast A. Moore
Rick Dangerous

Post by Ast A. Moore »

R-Tape wrote: Sun Jul 08, 2018 8:18 pm Ta! I'm not sure why mine didn't work :?
It didn’t work for me when I tried it with fuseutils either, so I took a different approach. I loaded the WAV into Fuse and then saved it as a TZX.

druellan
Dynamite Dan

Post by druellan »

Beyker, a member of the Spanish Telegram group tested the WAV on real hardware, and it works, in fact, he noticed that you can stop the load at any point and resume.
Ast A. Moore
Rick Dangerous

Post by Ast A. Moore »

druellan wrote: Sun Jul 08, 2018 10:01 pm he noticed that you can stop the load at any point and resume.
True, but most of the time it’ll mess up the picture, as some data will likely be lost. (You can try it with Fuse as well, using the play/pause command. That way, no data will be lost.)

That’s one of the modifications made to the loaders, both standard (Patrik Rak’s version) and OTLA—they don’t terminate after a timeout. There’s no error checking per se; the loader terminates only when the byte counter runs down. As a result, you can feed it different audio sources—including normal audio files—and they will display something (fairly random garbage) on the screen until the entire display file is filled up.

djnzx48
Manic Miner

Post by djnzx48 »

I found a thread on W*S about this loader: https://www.worldofspectrum.org/forums/discussion/22295

It's a shame about the dead source code link. No one happens to have a copy of the source (musical_source.zip) do they?