Mini Arcade Machines

Anything relating to non Sinclair computers from the 1980's, 90's or even before.
Fahnn
Microbot

Mini Arcade Machines

Post by Fahnn »

I've been browsing ebay earlier on and keep coming across things like this (just an example, there seems to be several variations on the same concept). Does anyone know if any of them are actually any good, or are they just cheap tat? Of course, those two things need not be mutually exclusive; I'm not especially bothered if something seems tatty, so long as it works OK. However, I can't find any reviews, which can't be a good sign, can it?

Any information appreciated! For less than fifteen quid, it's the sort of thing that I might just take a punt on anyway, but forewarned is forearmed and all that.
PROSM
Manic Miner

Re: Mini Arcade Machines

Post by PROSM »

I can't speak for this machine in particular, but the typical trend for these kinds of systems is that they come loaded with dozens of shoddily programmed, anonymous games lifted from other Chinese bootleg systems. You might have some fun, but don't be disappointed if it's rubbish.

For example, this similar system (with two-hundred games built in) has garnered very mixed reviews.
All software to-date
Working on something, as always.
Fahnn
Microbot

Post by Fahnn »

PROSM wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2019 1:22 pm I can't speak for this machine in particular, but the typical trend for these kinds of systems is that they come loaded with dozens of shoddily programmed, anonymous games lifted from other Chinese bootleg systems. You might have some fun, but don't be disappointed if it's rubbish.

For example, this similar system (with two-hundred games built in) has garnered very mixed reviews.
Ah, that's good information, many thanks. I think I was assuming that, it being Chinese-made, the "200 games included!" would be ripped from actual existing games, as they don't seem to be too hot on copyright over there (although I suppose there are limits).

I do like strange Chinese gadgets, though, and I'm still kind of intrigued. Maybe if I see one for a tenner, I'll just go for it anyway.
Joefish
Rick Dangerous

Post by Joefish »

It'd be neat if it was Pi-based and hackable, but I doubt it. Probably some sort of ARM chip with the games done in JAVA or similar crap. They've stolen sprites from other games but written terrible games to use them in.
Ralf
Rick Dangerous

Post by Ralf »

I can't speak for this machine in particular, but the typical trend for these kinds of systems is that they come loaded with dozens of shoddily programmed, anonymous games lifted from other Chinese bootleg systems. You might have some fun, but don't be disappointed if it's rubbish.
Sometimes they may in fact have some obscure games. And sometimes they have quality, classic games from arcade, NES, SNES, GBA...
In such case they are in 99% of case illegally there from the formal point of view.
Now you may care about it or not ;)
PeterJ
Site Admin

Post by PeterJ »

Best to invest in a Raspberry Pi and use RetroPie.

https://retropie.org.uk
Swainy
Manic Miner

Post by Swainy »

Of course there is the Tiny Arcade range:

https://youtu.be/O6BiJwPfRg4
Morkin
Bugaboo

Post by Morkin »

I've got one similar to these. It's a bit of a novelty item, I didn't play it for long - I stashed it away fairly shortly after getting it and haven't dug it out since.

The games are very basic and not particularly exciting. But the main problem is it's just too flippin' small, the screen feels like it's about the size of a watch face and the whole thing weighs about the same as a walnut whip so you have to hold it down to play it... :lol:

One good thing I suppose is that they come quite cheap so even if you're disappointed with it at least it won't break the bank but if I was buying something like this I think I'd have preferred a knockoff handheld/game & watch style console.
My Speccy site: thirdharmoniser.com
Joefish
Rick Dangerous

Post by Joefish »

The tiny arcade ones I saw (Pac-Man, Centipede) actually used coloured shape LCD-like displays like Game&Watch, not pixel screens. Unbelievably low-tech these days. A bit too retro for me!