The Bear Essentials - C64 Manic Miner-like

Anything relating to non Sinclair computers from the 1980's, 90's or even before.
FFoulkes
Microbot

The Bear Essentials - C64 Manic Miner-like

Post by FFoulkes »

Hi,

on Youtube, the "8-Bit-Guy" reviewed a recently created C64-game called "The Bear Essentials":

https://youtu.be/imEKoKg1I1k?t=268

The idea is pretty much the same as that of Manic Miner: Walk and jump around on platforms collecting items and avoiding mobs. That's not new. But it seems, the programmer gave his game a lot of love, as it looks rater nice.
A .d64-version, which can be used in an emulator such as VICE can be downloaded for free here:

http://pondsoft.uk/bear.html

So that's nice, if you still can't get enough of Manic Miner, but like to see some different screens and graphics.

The game uses C64-sprites, so there's the old problem, that you don't get pixel-exact jumping which made Manic Miner on the Spectrum so awesome. Nevertheless, it's still fun to play.

The intro reminds of the one of "Monkey Island 2" of course:

https://youtu.be/2BjpCc9Wcb8?t=48

Cheers
Ralf
Rick Dangerous

Re: The Bear Essentials - C64 Manic Miner-like

Post by Ralf »

It looks like a nice game. Nothing original but well executed. Seems also quite easy which I would say is a good thing.
AndyC
Dynamite Dan

Post by AndyC »

Looks nice. I'd say it's more JSW like than MM like (multiple screens, don't have to clear a screen to progress, doesn't reset on death etc) but that's no bad thing either. Has a bit of a "Creatures" look to the graphics, which has a very C64 style to it.
Morkin
Bugaboo

Post by Morkin »

Looks pretty good. Nicely packaged too.

The YouTube guy has a pretty pristine C64.. :shock:
My Speccy site: thirdharmoniser.com
FFoulkes
Microbot

Post by FFoulkes »

Morkin wrote: Wed May 01, 2019 7:50 pmThe YouTube guy has a pretty pristine C64.. :shock:
Yeah, in many of his videos he spends a lot of time and effort in restaurating old, usually 8-bit computers. You could say, that's his profession.
Actually his videos are rather popular. Probably, because it's so relaxing to watch him work on this old machines. It's kind of funny, I think. :) For example he took some effort to find the best technique to remove yellowing from (white) computer cases. He really goes all the way there. The result are pristine ancient machines.

Oh, and he also has an interesting video about the ZX80 and ZX81. The one about the ZX Spectrum will be released one day too. But it may take some time still.
Basically, I think he's a Commodore-guy though. ;)
Morkin
Bugaboo

Post by Morkin »

Cool. Those restoration videos are quite mesmerising to watch... :)
My Speccy site: thirdharmoniser.com