Staring at screens...

General wibble, please play nice.
R-Tape
Site Admin

Staring at screens...

Post by R-Tape » Thu Nov 30, 2017 10:11 am

How long do you spend in front of a monitor each day? And how does it make you feel?

Now that I’m back into speccy developing and doing SC stuff I’m staring at screens a lot more and it’s leaving me wired at the end of the day. Right now I spend 2-3 hours on a PC at work and up to 2 in the evening on a laptop. I imagine the numbers I quote here will be dwarfed by people who are developers by trade. Any tips on doing this and still feeling healthy?
0 x

Ast A. Moore
Dizzy

Re: Staring at screens...

Post by Ast A. Moore » Thu Nov 30, 2017 10:27 am

I often spend an entire day looking at my computer screen to (seemingly) no ill effect. Then again, I never had a problem looking at 60 Hz CRT displays for an extended time back in the day either. Never understood what all the higher-refresh-rate fuss was all about.
0 x
Every man should plant a tree, build a house, and write a ZX Spectrum game.

Author of A Yankee in Iraq, a 50 fps shoot-’em-up—the first game to utilize the floating bus on the +2A/+3,
and zasm Z80 Assembler syntax highlighter.

R-Tape
Site Admin

Post by R-Tape » Thu Nov 30, 2017 10:39 am

Are you very diligent about your display screen setup (monitor distance at arm's length, good lighting etc)? If I'm coding before bed I have to read a book or do something else for about at least half an hour to have a chance of sleeping.

I blame the CRT telly for my widow's peak, I should have put tin foil on my head.
0 x

Spud
Berk

Post by Spud » Thu Nov 30, 2017 10:40 am

Sounds like you're living the dream!

I sit in front of a computer screen from 9-6 at work, then again a couple of hours in the evening, sometimes longer depending on what I happen to be doing at that time.

It is is hard to switch off at night sometimes, especially if I am enjoying programming Speccies, SAMs or Amigas but at the moment I'm not really feeling the dev love.

My advice is get a dog and take it for a walk to wind down in the evening after you've finished. I don't have a dog but I imagine that would be a cool thing to do. Buy a frisbee too.
0 x

Ast A. Moore
Dizzy

Post by Ast A. Moore » Thu Nov 30, 2017 10:53 am

R-Tape wrote:
Thu Nov 30, 2017 10:39 am
Are you very diligent about your display screen setup (monitor distance at arm's length, good lighting etc)? If I'm coding before bed I have to read a book or do something else for about at least half an hour to have a chance of sleeping.
Not diligent at all. The screen is color-calibrated, though, but that’s hardly an issue for most people.

I might get restless at night if I’m trying to solve a particular problem regardless of how many hours I’ve spent coding that day.
R-Tape wrote:
Thu Nov 30, 2017 10:39 am
I blame the CRT telly for my widow's peak, I should have put tin foil on my head.
Always know where you towel and tinfoil hat are.
0 x
Every man should plant a tree, build a house, and write a ZX Spectrum game.

Author of A Yankee in Iraq, a 50 fps shoot-’em-up—the first game to utilize the floating bus on the +2A/+3,
and zasm Z80 Assembler syntax highlighter.

Ralf
Microbot

Post by Ralf » Thu Nov 30, 2017 11:01 am

I work with computer so I theoretically look at monitor 8 hours at work. Then I return home and spend another 2 hours or so with computer, this time for my fun.

Yes, I know it's too much but what can I do? My wife often complains and can't understand why I still enjoy computer at home after spending so much time with it at work. She can't see that's a DIFFERENT experience ;)

My advice:

- When you write some longer text don't look at monitor, look at the keyboard instead. It will allow your eyes to have some rest
- Sleep enough
- Go for walks
- Slack at work if you may allow it ;) Drink a lot of tea, then go a lot to toilet ;) If you try to work too hard it may just end in a total burnout.
Know your limits. You are now longer 20 years old.
0 x

ramsrc
Berk

Post by ramsrc » Thu Nov 30, 2017 11:07 am

All day!

However, I have always tried to be relatively careful with respect to my health. Once you loose it, it's hard to get it back.

I am incredibly grateful that we now have flat screens. I used to suffer from neck problems and headaches with CRT monitors. The neck problems because the things were physically too big to put in front of you, which meant I was sitting for hours on end with my head turned to one side. The headaches were due to the monitors flickering imperceptibly - which I seem to be particularly susceptible to.

I now have my monitors in front of me, at arms length, and an ergonomic chair which is adjusted correctly. I am very fortunate in that my company takes occupational health very seriously.
0 x
A hollow voice says "Plugh"

Ralf
Microbot

Post by Ralf » Thu Nov 30, 2017 11:25 am

And I'll add one more thing - have a decent big monitor. If you don't have it at work, request it or even bring your own.

Actually at some moment of my work they expected me to work on laptop and look for 8 hours at small laptop screen. That was a very bad experience.

I also never set the monitor resolution to highest possible but to something a bit smaller. It's exhausting to read small letters and being an old Spectrum fan I'm not afraid of big pixels and low resolutions ;)
0 x

Juan F. Ramirez
Microbot

Post by Juan F. Ramirez » Thu Nov 30, 2017 11:41 am

Work computer + phone + (sometimes) home laptop = too much time a day, I think.

And it's a miracle I still don't need glasses! :geek:
0 x

R-Tape
Site Admin

Post by R-Tape » Thu Nov 30, 2017 1:14 pm

Spud wrote:
Thu Nov 30, 2017 10:40 am
Sounds like you're living the dream!
I'll remember that next time I spend an afternoon with my head poked in a mass spectrometer!

I underestimated the total time I think, a bit like when you tell the doctor how much you drink, 6 hours a day might be closer. I have to say I'm not envious of you 9+ hour guys.

My work setup is good, but my home setup could do with a bigger screen and full DSE assessment.
0 x