Introduce yourself!

Introduce yourself. Pimp your website, competition, event or other activity here, as long as it's Spectrum related.
Ast A. Moore
Rick Dangerous

Re: Introduce yourself!

Post by Ast A. Moore »

Welcome to the forums, [mention]rnhunt[/mention]!
Every man should plant a tree, build a house, and write a ZX Spectrum game.

Author of A Yankee in Iraq, a 50 fps shoot-’em-up—the first game to utilize the floating bus on the +2A/+3,
and zasm Z80 Assembler syntax highlighter.
Rorthron
Dynamite Dan

Post by Rorthron »

Ast A. Moore wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2018 6:41 pm Welcome to the forums, @rnhunt!
Well said! Glad you got past the tricky question to separate the true Spectrum fans....
Ast A. Moore
Rick Dangerous

Post by Ast A. Moore »

Rorthron wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2018 7:06 pm
Ast A. Moore wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2018 6:41 pm Welcome to the forums, @rnhunt!
Well said! Glad you got past the tricky question to separate the true Spectrum fans....
Yeah, that wasn’t scientific enough for me. Now I just squint the right way and tilt my head ever so slightly. Works a treat.

Author of A Yankee in Iraq, a 50 fps shoot-’em-up—the first game to utilize the floating bus on the +2A/+3,
Seven.FFF
Manic Miner

Post by Seven.FFF »

Welcome [mention]rnhunt[/mention]! Thanks for the kind words :)
Robin Verhagen-Guest
SevenFFF / Threetwosevensixseven / colonel32
NXtel NXTP ESP Update ESP Reset CSpect Plugins
rnhunt
Drutt

Post by rnhunt »

And thank you all for the welcome, keep up the good work :)
Magnus
Dizzy

Post by Magnus »

Hi!

Thank you for a great site and forum! It is amazing how the old Speccy still has such an active community.

I got my first 16K Spectrum in the early eighties, having seen adverts for it in some of the English computer magazines available in Sweden at the time. Actually, I was dreaming about getting a ZX81, but when I learned of the Spectrum I knew I had to get my hands on it (imagine playing games in colour!). The purchase was a bit complicated and it felt like an eternity waiting for delivery, but I wasn't disappointed. Well, maybe a bit, since the first game I loaded was Schizoids (also purchased from overseas), a black-and-white and thoroughly unplayable game. Anyway, I loved my Spectrum and spent many hours with games, type-ins, and my own humble programming efforts.

Eventually I ended up working professionally with IT, but not with programming. A few years ago I decided to have a go at learning to program with modern tools and needed a challenge to motivate me. Thinking about programming made me nostalgic and I came up with the idea to build a simple Z80 emulator and eventually a Spectrum emulator. This is still my hobby project, and I have learned so much about this fantastic little machine and about the brilliant things that have been programmed for it during the years.

Coming full circle, I am now looking forward to receiving a Spectrum Next sometime in the not too distant future...
My ZX Spectrum emulator project: https://softspectrum48.weebly.com.
Ast A. Moore
Rick Dangerous

Post by Ast A. Moore »

Hej [mention]Magnus[/mention],
Velkommen til forummet! (I hope I didn’t butcher that. Is it or til?)

Nice emulator. One thing you should do, though, is change is the font on the keyboard image. The Spectrum typography uses Helvetica, not Arial. If you refuse, I’m afraid we’ll have to banish you from the Spectrum community and you’ll be damned for eternity. Truly sorry, but these are the rules. :lol:

Magnus
Dizzy

Post by Magnus »

Hej [mention]Ast A. Moore[/mention]!
Thank you. I wouldn't say that you butchered that. Rather, it looks like some sort of hybrid "Scandinavian" - everything is probably correct in at least one of the Scandinavian languages, if not always in Swedish. I appreciate the effort though :lol:.

Creating the keyboard image in Powerpoint was a pain, but now I must toss it of course :shock:.

By the way, I checked out your game A Yankee in Iraq. Very impressive, but damn those SAMs! I never manage to survive more than a few seconds.
Ast A. Moore
Rick Dangerous

Post by Ast A. Moore »

Magnus wrote: Sat Jan 06, 2018 12:33 pm it looks like some sort of hybrid "Scandinavian"
Bloody hell. My apologies, [mention]Magnus[/mention]. Take two:

Välkomna till forumet!

(At least I got the gender right the first time. Those damn en/ett words . . .)
Magnus wrote: Sat Jan 06, 2018 12:33 pmBy the way, I checked out your game A Yankee in Iraq. Very impressive, but damn those SAMs! I never manage to survive more than a few seconds.
Tack! It gets easier after about seven thousand tries. I can get to the boss level almost every time now.

Magnus
Dizzy

Post by Magnus »

Almost there [mention]Ast A. Moore[/mention]. Just one thing: In Swedish "välkomna" is used to address several people, whereas "välkommen" is used to address one person. Complicated, I know :). However, the meaning was clear from the start, and I thank you again for your kind welcome (disregarding the threat of banishment for crime against the Font Laws).
Ast A. Moore
Rick Dangerous

Post by Ast A. Moore »

Magnus wrote: Sat Jan 06, 2018 3:51 pm In Swedish "välkomna" is used to address several people, whereas "välkommen" is used to address one person.
Lugn, bara lugn, som Karlsson skulle ha sagt. I’ll get it right some day. :oops:

R-Tape
Site Admin

Post by R-Tape »

Magnus wrote: Sat Jan 06, 2018 3:51 pm In Swedish "välkomna" is used to address several people, whereas "välkommen" is used to address one person
Argh! Schoolboy error Ast! Leave this to me.

Welc∅me Magnus! H∅pe y∅u enjoy the f∅rum.

As I ask all emulator authors, I hope you'll be the first to include a fully functional built in assembler :D (though the one in ZXSPIN 0.666 is excellent).
Ast A. Moore
Rick Dangerous

Post by Ast A. Moore »

R-Tape wrote: Sat Jan 06, 2018 8:11 pm Image
Köttbullar! Where’s the drooling emoticon when you need one . . . :cry:

Magnus
Dizzy

Post by Magnus »

Thanks [mention]R-Tape[/mention]! I'm sure I'll enjoy the forum (been lurking here for some time already :))

Yes, ZX Spin is a great emulator (I just recently discovered it). I might look into integrating an assembler some time, it would be quite interesting I think.
Lee P
Microbot

Post by Lee P »

Hello, I'm Lee Spoons and I like Spectrums.
R-Tape
Site Admin

Post by R-Tape »

Lee Spoons wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2018 3:41 pm Hello, I'm Lee Spoons and I like Spectrums.
Hya Lee! Any plans to fire Beepola up in anger again?
Juan F. Ramirez
Bugaboo

Post by Juan F. Ramirez »

Lee Spoons wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2018 3:41 pm Hello, I'm Lee Spoons and I like Spectrums.
Welcome, Mr. Spoons! :)
PeterJ
Site Admin

Post by PeterJ »

It's so nice to see so many of the familiar names join the forum. Thank you! Please spread the word to other Spectrum fans that you may know.
Lee P
Microbot

Post by Lee P »

R-Tape wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2018 4:52 pm
Hya Lee! Any plans to fire Beepola up in anger again?
Well I had a quick fiddle with Bintracker the other day, so you never know...
stupidget
Dynamite Dan

Post by stupidget »

My name is Stupidget, and I'm a Specaholic.

Back in '84 i took my first hit of Speccy and I thought I could control it. Just a few 'games' here and there, but, before I knew it was using C90's and cramming them full of any low quality 'games' I could get. My Speccy usage spiralled out of control and took over my life!! That was until '89, when I got forced into manual labour as part of a 'cleansing process' called YTS!! After many 'clean' years I got back on the 'Speccy' back in 2003 when I joined a rotten bunch called WoS!!! :o :o :o

I managed to drag myself away from WoS in 2016, but, i've got an itch that just needs scratching and it looks like Spectrum Computing is the only place that'll fill my need.

I can control it now though, I don't have a problem anymore.....do I :?: :?:
Juan F. Ramirez
Bugaboo

Post by Juan F. Ramirez »

Welcome!
Ralf
Rick Dangerous

Post by Ralf »

I managed to drag myself away from WoS in 2016, but, i've got an itch that just needs scratching and it looks like Spectrum Computing is the only place that'll fill my need.
Have fun and don't be too shy to talk! We all together need to give this forum some momentum.
R-Tape
Site Admin

Post by R-Tape »

stupidget wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2018 2:24 pm I can control it now though, I don't have a problem anymore.....do I :?: :?:
Of course not, you're doing fine. You can quit anytime, all you need is one last hit :twisted:
MonkZy
Manic Miner

Post by MonkZy »

Hello everyone,

I had a rubbery spectrum 48k without a tape player in '82. Upgraded from typing to cassette by '83. Eventually killed rubber key with a 12v Lima train PSU that I had forgotten to turn down to 2/3rds on the dial. Got a plus, played many man hours of Elite and equally many man hours mucking about with BASIC. Got a Rotronics Wafadrive from a fire-sale via a spectrum mag, mucked about with those for many hours. Wrote a BASIC version of a windowed OS and also collaborated with a pal to create S.U.P.I.C. SUPIC was a BBC/Spectrum compatible instruction set, an interpreter for an interpreter. We wanted to unify the beeb and the speccy (MID$ etc.). It was slow on the spectrum, to say the least. Got a toastrack 128+, which I am so incredibly sad to say is no longer with me :cry: If I knew what I know now, I would have never let it go. The reason I sold was the Amiga A1200.

FFWD Xmas 2107.

I receive a strange gift, the recreated ZX spectrum. I sniffed it, no it is not a real spectrum. Examined it, no edge connector, micro usb port. Does it have a ASIC maybe? Nope. Its a keyboard. Bluetooth no less. It seemed so much like the dead rubberkey in my loft.

FFWD Today

I am sitting in front of a raspberry PI connected to the recreated ZX running Fuse. This is like a time machine, but a cool time machine where I now have a compact flash HDD instead of whining tape drives (thank you fuse and Gasman for hdfmonkey). I am back in love. Old zx from loft is back alive, seems all it needed was a bit of TLC and a keyboard membrane (on the way from sellmyretro). Not sure whether to get an DivIDE device for it and change out the capacitors. I have been mostly mucking about with basic, but I really want to up my game and get into assembly. I already wrote a little 'app' as the kids call them today, it's a DIY eJuice calculator written in 48k BASIC. I am quite chuffed with it, it has a tabbed display, all the data's are accessed via the 5,6,7,8 arrows. I will use it, when it is finished properly.

So I came here!
R-Tape
Site Admin

Post by R-Tape »

Welcome [mention]MonkZy[/mention],

Is your ejuice calculator finished? Why not make it available? We can give it a ZXDB ID and make it available in the SC archive.

(Not that I vape.)