Introduce yourself!

General wibble, please play nice.
R-Tape
Site Admin

Re: Introduce yourself!

Post by R-Tape » Wed Nov 15, 2017 4:09 pm

Spud wrote:
Wed Nov 15, 2017 3:43 pm
I did wonder, is it Berk from Trap Door?
Yep that's the one, and blame me for the current ranks, just cobbled together quickly.
0 x

SkoolKid
Berk

Post by SkoolKid » Wed Nov 15, 2017 5:50 pm

Hi, SkoolKid here.

My hobbies include trying to steer any and every conversation, regardless of topic, towards Skool Daze or Back to Skool (or even SkoolKit!), and also lurking.

That's about it, really.

Nice forum you've got here, by the way. :D
6 x
SkoolKit - disassemble a game today
Pyskool - a remake of Skool Daze and Back to Skool

kolbeck
Berk

Post by kolbeck » Wed Nov 15, 2017 9:42 pm

jmk wrote:
Tue Nov 14, 2017 1:11 am
kolbeck wrote:
Mon Nov 13, 2017 9:57 pm
Hello James...

Think we had some chit-chat back about 10 years ago, when I did the native OS/2 version of x128 (NOT the recompiled X/Window version for OS/2)
You probably don't know - but the OS/2 version actually ended up on a danish magazine cover cd ;)
Hi, Thomas.

Ah, you trigger vague memories in my brain. ;)
Vague memories.. just realized it was 20, and NOT 10 years ago :-)
1 x
http://zxinfo.dk - another ZXDB frontend

Ivanzx
Site Admin

Post by Ivanzx » Wed Nov 15, 2017 10:05 pm

I am Ivan, a Spaniard living in Germany for the almost last 8 years! (Ja!)

I bought my first Spectrum, a +2A, in Xmas 1988 and since then I am a Spectrum fanatic. Brought my Speccy to Germany and I fell in love with the Homebrew scene since I came back to the Spectrum in the internet era (2003) although I never got rid of my Spectrum, as I used to play with it in the 90s too ;)
3 x

chrrris
Berk

Post by chrrris » Wed Nov 15, 2017 10:17 pm

Testing, testing. One, two. One, two.

Very happy to see a forum appear on this most excellent of Speccy websites. You may or may not know me as "ccowley" from... ummm... another place. I'm not really doing much in the way of speccy stuff at the moment, but I wrote a beeper music thing called beepola and have written some emulators and things in the past. Probably won't be very active on here for now, due to work commitments and other boring stuff, but will be looking in from time to time to see if there's anything I can help with.
3 x

Einar Saukas
Dizzy

Post by Einar Saukas » Thu Nov 16, 2017 2:35 am

Hi all!

I'm Einar Saukas from Brazil. It's nice to see so many familiar faces already!

I have been programming games since I was 12, initially for ZX81 then Spectrum. My Sinclair games are listed here, for other platforms here and here. Some of my popular Spectrum related projects are compressor ZX7/RCS, multicolor engines BIFROST/NIRVANA, reference implementations of FZX and IZX, website zxgraph, and database model ZXDB.

Although Spectrum Computing is one of the websites "powered" by ZXDB (therefore I will be probably answering many questions related to archive and preservation here), notice I'm not administrator or moderator of this forum, just a standard user like everybody else. Therefore I won't be speaking in name of Spectrum Computing, everything I post will be simply my own opinions!
13 x

jonathan.needle
Berk

Post by jonathan.needle » Thu Nov 16, 2017 8:18 am

Hey!

Got my first Spectrum Christmas 1983 "for educational purposes" which meant playing Manic Miner for 2 weeks :D Had the same 48k Speccy (but in a 'Lo Profile' case and with 2 shiny Microdrives) until 1990 when I used by student loan to buy an Amiga 500. Poor speccy was packed up in the loft then. Amiga is probably my favourite home computer of all time.

I'm also the author of the Spectrum emulator, Spectaculator which is coming up to its 16th birthday in December. I'm not very active at the moment but this will hopefully change sometime soon.

Ironically my parents "won" in the end in terms of "for educational purposes" as I'm a software Software Architect now.

Jon.
7 x
--
Jonathan Needle
Spectaculator Creator
http://www.spectaculator.com/

Morpheus
Berk

Post by Morpheus » Thu Nov 16, 2017 4:44 pm

Hi,
Just signed up and wanted to say hello. I live up in the NE of England and have been a Spectrum user since i was a young teenager when my Dad took me down to W.H Smiths to get my first 48K Spectrum. I had already bought Manic Miner, Horace & the Spiders and Atic Atac leading up to it so i was hyped up.
I first got a glimpse of a Spectrum in out School Tech Drawing class when our teacher was playing The Hobbit while we were working, it ended up where all of us were stood looking over his shoulder at the end and he decided to start a computer club. Over the next few months we all eventually got our own computers, some got C64's or BBC's one lad even got an Oric-1 but most of us got a Spectrum. A decent spec computer that didn't cost a fortune. Coming from playing Asteroids on a Atari VCS2600 to Manic Miner or Atic Atac was just mind boggling at the time. Then i started to learn BASIC, mess about with FORTH and Z80 Assembler.
I have had various spectrum's over the years as my old 48K eventually was beyond repair and i now have a 128K +2A and i'm saving up for one of the divMMC Future wigets to make life a bit easier.

So Hello everyone :D
0 x
R Tape loading error, 0:1

Guesser
Berk

Post by Guesser » Thu Nov 16, 2017 5:16 pm

I suppose I should do this properly and say I'm mostly interested in hardware and firmware/utility software. Documenting old hardware, digitising schematics, and of course trying to get people to contribute to the faq wiki.
I've drifted away from speccy projects over the last few years and spend more time in the teletext hobbyist community writing software and stuff, but recently the two have collided again when I bought a volex teletext adapter for the spectrum on eBay which I am now reverse engineering and documenting for preservation.

The community run teletext service "Teefax" received (well, via a raspberry pi and a UHF modulator) by my Spectrum+
4 x
My rubbish website including the redrawn Amstrad schematics and the new home of the Sinclair FAQ wiki.

SkoolKid
Berk

Post by SkoolKid » Thu Nov 16, 2017 5:46 pm

Having properly read through this thread, I feel bad for not even mentioning when I got my first Speccy in the crappy intro I gave earlier.

<clears throat>

I got my first ZX Spectrum - a rubber-keyed 48K model - for Christmas in 1982, and have been a computer programmer ever since. One or two replacement Spectrums later, I stopped using the machine around 1990 (I think). The last replacement currently rests somewhere in the attic, and owing to me being clueless about hardware and in Canada where they have weird electrics and stuff, I have no idea how to power it up or connect it to a display. :(

My earlier comment about Skool Daze and Back to Skool was accurate, by the way. Those games were among the first to get me interested in reverse engineering, and in recent years I've completed and published full disassemblies of those two games, along with Contact Sam Cruise, Manic Miner and Jet Set Willy.

And that really is it now.
3 x
SkoolKit - disassemble a game today
Pyskool - a remake of Skool Daze and Back to Skool