Introduce yourself!

General wibble, please play nice.
1024MAK
Dizzy

Re: Introduce yourself!

Post by 1024MAK » Thu Nov 16, 2017 6:48 pm

SkoolKid wrote:
Thu Nov 16, 2017 5:46 pm
I got my first ZX Spectrum - a rubber-keyed 48K model - for Christmas in 1982, and have been a computer programmer ever since. One or two replacement Spectrums later, I stopped using the machine around 1990 (I think). The last replacement currently rests somewhere in the attic, and owing to me being clueless about hardware and in Canada where they have weird electrics and stuff, I have no idea how to power it up or connect it to a display. :(
Assuming you have a 48k Spectrum here. Any decent PSU that outputs 8V to 10V DC at 1.4A (or more) of the correct polarity will power a 48k Speccy.
The trouble you will have, is finding a TV that will be happy with the UHF TV output...
It becomes easier if someone modifies your Spectrum so that the UHF output is converted to composite video. Then you get to play the game of "will it accept a 625 line, 15625Hz, 50Hz PAL colour picture?" Unless of course, you have/can find a multi standard TV set...

Mark
0 x

Stefan
Berk

Post by Stefan » Thu Nov 16, 2017 7:20 pm

Hi I'm Stefan,

I got my first rubber keyed Spectrum 48k around about 1984 in Auckland, NZ. My Dad got a new job which went with a company car so the family car (an Austin Maxi) could be sold and was used to finance the Speccy. In NZ you could buy the Spectrum with or without a power supply. We got it without since we already had an Atari 2600 which also had a 9V power supply... a few days later we also had a proper Sinclair power supply. Another cost cutting feature was to use the hi-fi cassette deck for loading and saving.... a few too many days later we also had a proper datacorder.

My friend's dad was an official games dealer for JK Grey and various other labels in NZ, so we got most of the games pretty soon after release - I recall having tried about 5 different original (he did the official duplicating) Travels with Trashman tapes before getting one to load.

In 1987 I bought a DISCiPLE disk interface with a 5.25" drive (on holiday in The Netherlands). This had a bad (just an old version I think) ROM, which was replaced later. Enter the cracking era in which I spent most of my time converting multi-load tape games to load from disc. I also bought a SAGA Emperor One keyboard - which was great.

I really loved the 48k multi-channel beeper tunes. FOLLIN FOLLIN FOLLIN FOLLIN!

In 1988 we moved back to The Netherlands where my 48k died. Some repair shop said it was broken - I was convinced they had swapped my one out for a different one (which is still in the room I'm typing this). I bought a 128k toastie. Loved the AY tunes even more.

Bought a SAM Coupé around 1991 as a logical upgrade from the Speccy.

First converted some Speccy demos and games to load from SAM including AY sound, moved on to some demo coding, wrote the SAM MOD player and later the SAM port of Sophistry.

Still amazed at some of the tunes being cranked out of the 8 bits - Yerzmyey, MMCM, FrankT and many many more....
1 x

chrrris
Berk

Post by chrrris » Thu Nov 16, 2017 9:45 pm

Guesser wrote:
Thu Nov 16, 2017 5:16 pm
recently the two have collided again when I bought a volex teletext adapter for the spectrum on eBay which I am now reverse engineering and documenting for preservation.
I had one of those Volex TTX adaptors back in the 80s. Loved it! Thought it worked very well too.

I *really* wanted a Prism VTX modem but my parents overruled that one due to (completely justified, with hindsight) fears about the size of the phone bills I'd probably rack up. So had to made do with my Volex. At least it looked like a Prism VTX, sat under the rubber-keyed speccy :)
0 x

RMartins
Berk

Post by RMartins » Fri Nov 17, 2017 11:51 am

My first computer was a ZX Spectrum 48K, that I learned to program on my own in BASIC, and from that time on, I was hooked on computers.
After that I went to college and university always following a digital path footprint.
What I love the most is the power to control machines up to the last chip and bit.

I'm a Software Developer by profession, since 1998, but recently returned to my origins, since I always wanted to make a game in Assembly for ZX, but in 1982 I was still a kid, and the assembly programming, specially using bytes, instead of instructions, was elusive to me.

I also have a reasonable background in 3D modelling, electronics, robotics and mechanics, which helps a lot while developing my own projects, for ZX and beyond.

I'm also an avid RC enthusiast, for cars, planes and Quad Copters (I build my own).

In the last years, I have been slowly building my own Retro Computer Museum.
I have the full Sinclair range, with several "instances" of each machine, some Atari 2600 (Vader, 6 and 4 selectors, Junior, etc...), Commodore 64 and Amigas (500, 500+ and 600), some Game Boys too, and some other bits and pieces.

I'm Portuguese (born in Mozambique), living in Portugal (Lisbon).
5 x

hitm4n
Berk

Post by hitm4n » Fri Nov 17, 2017 1:32 pm

Hitm4n here. I see many names i know, AndyC, Dunny, Einar, Sokurah. Many from ye olde Retro Remakes, many from WOS. Soon as i saw the ZXDB shenanigansover there and read about this place gaining a forum, i was over here in a shot. Brought back so many memories just signing up to a forum! Don't think ive had to do that in years.

Have to once again publically thank Einar for his ZXDB work, AndyC for assisting (and anyone else) and Peter Jones (have i got the right guy here) for this beautiful site and forum. Anyone and everyone else who made this site happen. Thanks.

I'm very much a lurker, i'll read most threads, will visit regularly, will chip in now and then when i feel i have something useful to say (not very often), or if i feel its something super witty (also, not very often).

Have fun.
3 x
I don't have anything cool to put here, so i'll just be off now to see a priest with yeast stuck between his teeth and his friend called Keith who's a hairpiece thief...

blucey
Berk

Post by blucey » Sun Nov 19, 2017 1:42 pm

Hi, I'm Blucey. I've been on WoS forever. I usually start threads called 'Good or Horrible' on there. Not really interested in anything but the games. So you won't see me in hardware threads.
2 x

walrus
Berk

Post by walrus » Tue Nov 21, 2017 5:17 am

Hi

I have lurked in many places over the past couple of decades and am looking forward to lurking here in the future. I may chip in with the odd thing now and again.

Like others have said, it is good seeing familiar names popping up here and nice bit of positivity attached to the spectrum scene.

Thanks for all the work to those involved.
1 x

PROSM
Berk

Post by PROSM » Fri Nov 24, 2017 10:38 pm

Hello there, I'm PROSM and I've been with the World of Spectrum forums for a bit of time now, and joined these forums a few days ago. I really enjoy this new website, as it provides a more up-to-date and nicely presented alternative to the old WOS Infoseek. I hope that the community within these forums will only continue to grow.

I have been writing many pieces of software for the Spectrum, but it seems that it's easier to start something than it is to finish it, as my only published game to this point is Cuboid Captor from 2016. Nevertheless, I am currently writing a graphical adventure game for the Spectrum with gameplay similar to that of the old SCUMM adventure games. Right now, I have the graphics routines finished, and I'm writing the script interpreter at the moment. So far it seems to be going well.

My history with the Spectrum doesn't stretch back very far at all, considering that I am still a teenager. I took up Spectrum assembly programming as a hobby about two years ago, out of a mild interest in retro computers. It is certainly very interesting to write software within the constraints of such antiquated hardware, and it is more enjoyable than working with Windows in C, haggling with the API. Writing programs in Z80 assembly has certainly shaped the way in which I see my algorithms, and now I often plan my programs more carefully to achieve huge optimizations.

Either way, I enjoy reading these forums and hope to see the Spectrum continue to thrive throughout the following years and decades!
2 x
Past Games:
Cuboid Captor (2016)

Current Projects:
Currently working on a graphical adventure game for the Spectrum.

Ast A. Moore
Dizzy

Post by Ast A. Moore » Fri Nov 24, 2017 10:48 pm

PROSM wrote:
Fri Nov 24, 2017 10:38 pm
It is certainly very interesting to write software within the constraints of such antiquated hardware
Hear that, gentlemen? “Antiquated.” Tut-tut. Kids these days . . . :D

On a more serious note, welcome to the forums, @PROSM. Always nice to see young people expressing more than just superficial interest in “antiquated” platforms, but actively developing for them. Props to you, sir.
1 x
Every man should plant a tree, build a house, and write a ZX Spectrum game.

Author of A Yankee in Iraq, a 50 fps shoot-’em-up—the first game to utilize the floating bus on the +2A/+3,
and zasm Z80 Assembler syntax highlighter.

Ivanzx
Site Admin

Post by Ivanzx » Fri Nov 24, 2017 10:57 pm

PROSM wrote:
Fri Nov 24, 2017 10:38 pm

I have been writing many pieces of software for the Spectrum, but it seems that it's easier to start something than it is to finish it, as my only published game to this point is Cuboid Captor from 2016. Nevertheless, I am currently writing a graphical adventure game for the Spectrum with gameplay similar to that of the old SCUMM adventure games. Right now, I have the graphics routines finished, and I'm writing the script interpreter at the moment. So far it seems to be going well.

:o :o what?? Scumm on the Spectrum?? Finally??? :o So looking forward to seeing it :)
And respect! It is really strange nowadays seeing a teenager interested in the Spectrum, let alone learning Z80 assembly ;)

We have also spoken in the ZX Dev forums too !
0 x