The Last Jedi

General wibble, please play nice.
Rorthron
Site Admin

The Last Jedi

Post by Rorthron » Fri Dec 15, 2017 8:58 am

Has anyone else seen it? What did you think?

I saw it yesterday, and thought it was okay. There was plenty of action, but it felt as though I'd seen it all before. Less good than either The Force Awakens or Rogue One.
0 x

Dark
Berk

Re: The Last Jedi

Post by Dark » Fri Dec 15, 2017 9:14 am

I saw it yesterday and really enjoyed it, though I thought it was maybe 30 minutes too long.

Don’t think it was as good as Rogue One, but I preferred it to the Force Awakes which though I do like, did seem just a copy of A New Hope that didn’t really offer anything new.
0 x

Rorthron
Site Admin

Post by Rorthron » Fri Dec 15, 2017 10:45 am

I agree The Force Awakens felt too much like a remake of the original Star Wars movie, but I got the same feeling with The Last Jedi, but without the nostalgic kicks of seeing old faces reappear.
SpoilerShow
The end sequence looked and felt like a re-run of Hoth. Luke's death was like Obi Wan Kenobi's. The Snoke-Kylo Ren-Rey showdown felt like a mish mash of the Luke-Vader-Emperor showdown in Return of the Jedi and Luke-Vader showdown in Empire Strikes Back.
Rey-Luke was like Luke-Yoda. This whole trilogy is starting to feel like a re-hash of the original to me.
Really liked Rogue One, though.
0 x

1024MAK
Dizzy

Post by 1024MAK » Fri Dec 15, 2017 1:16 pm

Yes, I've seen it. It was always going to be the case that there would be elements which would "remind the older viewers" of sections of the original movies.

But I think it has enough plot twists and turns to both be original and entertaining. Well, at least, it held my attention for the whole film.

Don't click the spoiler if you have not yet seen the film...
SpoilerShow
However, it was a bit unrealistic for the rebel alliance to go from having a small but capable fleet (complete with x-wing fighters and bombers) down to just having the Millennium Falcon :shock:
Mark
0 x

AndyC
Berk

Post by AndyC » Fri Dec 15, 2017 3:47 pm

I enjoyed it. It has some nods in the direction of Empire Strikes Back, but probably more so to Return of the Jedi. However it certainly felt less of a re-hash than Force Awakens did, definitely doing it's own thing that was separate from previous stories. I wasn't entirely sold on the ending though, it felt like it was constantly building up to something that it just didn't know how to deliver. And some of the humour felt overly forced and not really necessary.

Rogue One is still the stand out of the new movies for me. I hope we will see more along those lines as they expand away from the Skywalker story line.
0 x

Wall_Axe
Dizzy

Post by Wall_Axe » Fri Dec 15, 2017 5:39 pm

This is what JJ Abrams does everytime, big build up but no idea how to pay it off.

He was involved with 'Lost'
0 x

MatGubbins
Microbot

Post by MatGubbins » Sun Dec 17, 2017 4:08 pm

Thought that it was better than Force Awakens, but it felt 30 minutes too long, with a few comedy scenes that were not needed (eating chicken things... it was dead was one of them). All Hoth'd up for the final battle with an ending that was a bit different from what I thought it would be.
8/10

Kyro ren: mumble, mumble, mumble, mumble...Skywalker
Wrinkly bloke: Take your mask off...
Kyro ren: mumble, mumble, mumble, mumble...Darkside or something

Clang..Clang..Clang..
Rae: I know you're in there.
Luke: Yeah, I'm on the bog! I'll be out in a minute.
0 x
Bomb Munchies Ver1930 17th Nov 2017 (look for the blue download box ) If you get a time-out message and live in the UK then try after 9pm-3am.
Send me a PM and I can email it to you too. Kent, UK

4thRock
Berk

Post by 4thRock » Sun Dec 17, 2017 10:18 pm

Didn't like it that much. It has some 5/5 scenes, followed by forced humor and dumb stuff that's 1/5.
It clearly feels like the Lucas prequels is some places. And a touch of Disney that doesn't help at all.

So I'd say 3/5, worse than Force Awakens or Rogue One...
0 x

Joefish
Dizzy

Post by Joefish » Mon Dec 18, 2017 12:01 am

Got to say I liked it. More so than The Force Awakens. That was a tired remake of the original Star Wars.
I liked how there were nods in it to people who were expecting a re-hash of previous themes; the Hoth-like battle setup was just one of them. But instead it used them as a sort of shorthand for setting up the scenario, then played them out differently.
SpoilerShow
To be honest I was disappointed to see Luke was 'astrally projecting'. I figured he deliberately let himself be killed in the bombardment to then taunt Kylo Ren as a Force-Ghost. That he lived through it and then just died anyway struck me as a bit wet. I liked the reveal that the island had twin suns, though I suspect that's just going to be a throw-away metaphor rather than significant to anything about the Force.
0 x

4thRock
Berk

Post by 4thRock » Mon Dec 18, 2017 9:27 am

Joefish wrote:
Mon Dec 18, 2017 12:01 am
SpoilerShow
I liked the reveal that the island had twin suns, though I suspect that's just going to be a throw-away metaphor rather than significant to anything about the Force.
SpoilerShow
My interpretation of the twin suns is Luke visiting his home planet on his last moments. Kind of becoming one with the force / being everywhere.
I liked that part, it's 5/5 for me ;)
0 x