The Last Jedi

General wibble, please play nice.
Juan F. Ramirez
Manic Miner

Re: The Last Jedi

Post by Juan F. Ramirez » Tue Dec 26, 2017 10:59 pm

I didn't like it. One of the worst films of the whole saga. I did like Ep. VII and Rogue One. This one has a messy plot.
0 x

Juan F. Ramirez
Manic Miner

Post by Juan F. Ramirez » Tue Dec 26, 2017 11:02 pm

SpoilerShow
Snoke's dead was early and sudden. And the true origins of Rey... dissapointing (Wasn't she and Kylo brothers? :lol: ).
0 x

redballoon
Berk

Post by redballoon » Wed Dec 27, 2017 12:18 am

It’s all subjective - I think it’s better than The Force Awakens which was great and I found this film fantastic.
SpoilerShow
At no point, though, is it stated that Kylo and Ren are related in this or the last - that’s all fanboy rumours and I suppose the implications could be there. Some great moments and touches with each character developing more; Finn & Rose, Poe’s failings, Rey herself and th conflicts with Kylo and Benecio del Toro’s character is also bringing in a more interesting character and I’m sure we’ll see more of him. Then, of course, there’s that fantastic sequence where the Vice Admiral turns the rebel cruiser toward’s Snoke’s Star Destroyer and the silence over the fantastic visuals.
I think the next one’s in good shape and interesting to see where it will go now, because The Last Jedi has deviated away from the norm and that’s definitely a very good thing!
The humour and other aliens races is no different from the other 8 films, these are films that have never been po-faced. I’d say Eps 1 to 3 are more po-faced than the original trilogy and theses new ones are following the original trilogy nicely. There’s only 1 humourous shot that did seem out of place but that made it all the better - the iron close up. I had a right chuckle at that!
It’s not my film of the year, though. That remains with Blade Runner 2049. In fact, that’s dropped nicely as one of my favourite films ever.
0 x

Juan F. Ramirez
Manic Miner

Post by Juan F. Ramirez » Wed Dec 27, 2017 8:46 am

I think the problem in this film is that the plot depends of the general plot of the saga.

They're planning a new trilogy, nothing to do with the current films, different characters, places, etc. It will be done from scratch, it won't depend on the previous films. So these new films will be 'fresh air'. That was the good point of Rogue One.
0 x

PeteProdge
Microbot

Post by PeteProdge » Wed Dec 27, 2017 9:24 am

I found it to be really entertaining, but nowhere near the excellence of The Force Awakens or the surprisingly good Rogue One (co-written by a former CU Amiga reviewer). And of course, not as good as the original trilogy, but it's far far better than Phantom Menace and Attack Of The Clones (yeah, not hard).

Having the comedy performer
SpoilerShow
Adrian Edmondson
on screen roughly every ten minutes is really pleasing to me.

Could have been trimmed down from its 2.5hr running time quite easily.

A nice popcorn outing for anyone remotely interested in Star Wars.
0 x

RMartins
Microbot

Post by RMartins » Wed Dec 27, 2017 5:34 pm

For me it was good in visual effects, but BAD, really BAD in story line and inter-connection between scenes.

The entire film feels like a disconnect arrangement of small scenes.
Continuity is lost in inumerous places, the plot doesn't make sense in most scenes (re-hash of previous movie scenes), succession of events includes lots of jump forwards (ommitting stuff along the way ), there is no logic in a lot of the scenes, obvious stuff that screams at you, while watching the movie.

I could give practical examples, but I won't add a spoiler section to this.
1 x

4thRock
Berk

Post by 4thRock » Wed Dec 27, 2017 6:16 pm

To see how much editing can improve a movie, here's a link to the first Phantom Menace fan-edit, with commentary from the fan editor.
On this edit, the movie become enjoyable. Still weak but enjoyable.

The Last Jedi will be the same. It just needs to be edited down to 1h:30 and it will be a decent movie.
0 x