Anybody getting an Atari VCS?

Anything relating to non Sinclair computers from the 1980's, 90's or even before.
stupidget
Dynamite Dan

Anybody getting an Atari VCS?

Post by stupidget »

I've been following this product since the initial Indigogo campaign, and for me its starting to look rather tempting:

https://medium.com/@atarivcs/atari-vcs- ... ec2835afa7

I bought an Atari 2600 'woody' a few years ago with the composite RGB mod and then got an RGB to HDMI converter, but considering the console itself is 43 years old it's somewhat temperamental. I wen through the usual phase of collecting some of my favourite cartridges such as Adventure (the one with the dragons that look like giant ducks), Pole Position, Frogger, Yars Revenge, Galaga etc etc and me and the missus had some great Saturday nights supping wine whilst getting progressively worse at each game :D :D

I realise that this new console it basically a Linux Debian OS based streaming box with access to Antstream, Atari Vault, Netflix, YouTube but I like the idea of just plugging it into a modern TV and playing some of the classics with the new updated joystick.

It would seem that I'm never going to be able to remove these rose tinted spectacles :lol:
PQR
Manic Miner

Re: Anybody getting an Atari VCS?

Post by PQR »

Not for me although as a backer of the ZX Spectrum Next I do understand why someone might be tempted to purchase something that brings back the memories of our youth. ;)
akeley
Dynamite Dan

Post by akeley »

This new VCS is a shameless and shady nostalgia cash-in, in line with the retro-brand necrophilia the new "Atari" has been conducting since they bought it. Everything about it stunk to high heavens since the beginning. Even if it will eventually get released it will be totally overpriced for what it offers.

If you want to indulge in some VCS plug'n play notsalgia you can just get one of the Atari Flashbacks, not support these ghouls ;)
stupidget
Dynamite Dan

Post by stupidget »

akeley wrote: Wed Feb 05, 2020 9:54 am This new VCS is a shameless and shady nostalgia cash-in, in line with the retro-brand necrophilia the new "Atari" has been conducting since they bought it. Everything about it stunk to high heavens since the beginning. Even if it will eventually get released it will be totally overpriced for what it offers.

If you want to indulge in some VCS plug'n play notsalgia you can just get one of the Atari Flashbacks, not support these ghouls ;)
That'll be a no then? :lol: :lol:
DouglasReynholm
Manic Miner

Post by DouglasReynholm »

Did you hear that 'Atari' are now planning a hotel based on the 'Atari' experience? Lots and lots of black/brown veneer, hot tubs and the smell of weed in the foyer.. mmmmm.

What's next, the Coleco ADAM Airbnb?

Back on topic, this machines going the way of the Ouya.. save your cash for the Next.
beanz
Microbot

Post by beanz »

It's just an (overpriced) linux box isn't it.