Sinclair C5

Anything relating to non Sinclair computers from the 1980's, 90's or even before.
PeterJ
Site Admin

Sinclair C5

Post by PeterJ »

Great video posted by the BBC on their BBC Archive Facebook Group.

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_ ... tions=true
R-Tape
Site Admin

Re: Sinclair C5

Post by R-Tape »

PeterJ wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 8:07 pm Great video posted by the BBC on their BBC Archive Facebook Group.
Top Gear has never been my thing, but that was a good video (much better than that tosser Clarkson).

A few funny quotes stood out:
You could even go out on it without insurance, though we would certainly advise anybody using it to get third party insurance.
Wind tunnel perfection. Average speed 12mph.
Annddd finally:
There's nothing the C5 can do, that a bicycle couldn't do more economically , more flexibly, and indeed—more safely.
...but not every bicycle, eh.

(I know! I CAN'T LET IT LIE!)
R-Tape
Site Admin

Post by R-Tape »

I'm going to end up buying a bloody C5 aren't I? I just know it.
Morkin
Bugaboo

Post by Morkin »

He's pretty brave, driving it on a wet day in all that traffic...
My Speccy site: thirdharmoniser.com
PeterJ
Site Admin

Post by PeterJ »

They have one on display at the micro museum in Ramsgate. I would love one!
PeterJ
Site Admin

Post by PeterJ »

Morkin wrote: Fri Mar 13, 2020 11:16 am He's pretty brave, driving it on a wet day in all that traffic...
Yes, not sure I would have done that.
PeterJ
Site Admin

Post by PeterJ »

Does that law which he mentions in the piece still exist in the UK?
llewelyn
Manic Miner

Post by llewelyn »

R-Tape wrote: Fri Mar 13, 2020 10:26 am I'm going to end up buying a bloody C5 aren't I? I just know it.
With LiPo batteries and possibly another motor, it could be a pretty decent little runabout. Modern brushless motors they sell for large model aircraft and boats are bloody powerful. It might be possible to get more go by regearing, thats what I'd try first. I'd want at least 20mph preferably 30 as a top speed, and the batteries should live more go, longer run times and possibly faster recharge too, a bit of research needed but its doable.

Although to be honest I think you'd be better off with beefing up one of those electric ride on cars for kids but then you lose the looks and the fact of its being a Sinclair fan boy choice. When I was teaching and we entered the FIRST competition for robot footie games, we used a Fisher Price motor and transmission from a ride on toy and it would burn rubber with my 210lb weight on it!
Juan F. Ramirez
Bugaboo

Post by Juan F. Ramirez »

'Is it a car ir a toy?'

Whit that starting sentence, it's clear that that project was going to end up bad...
Morkin
Bugaboo

Post by Morkin »

Would be very surprised if any self-respecting teenager ever got close to one... :P
PeterJ wrote: Fri Mar 13, 2020 12:28 pm Does that law which he mentions in the piece still exist in the UK?
Not sure but still the same as an electric bike I guess?
My Speccy site: thirdharmoniser.com
stupidget
Dynamite Dan

Post by stupidget »

I remember a few years ago I was out cycling and rode past a farm where the owners were clearing out one of the storage buildings and low behold there, just outside the barn doors, was a knackered old C5!! :o :o :o . I got back home, got in me car and drove back, but when I go there the farmer had no idea what I was on about. I described the C5 in detail, but he was adamant that he'd never had one. Probably off his t*ts on parsnip wine and din't know what day it was :evil:
1024MAK
Bugaboo

Post by 1024MAK »

Occasionally (mostly in Summer) when walking our dogs along a combined footpath & cycle path, I see a guy driving a C5 up and down the cycle path.

Mark
:!: Standby alert :!:
“There are four lights!”
Step up to red alert. Sir, are you absolutely sure? It does mean changing the bulb :dance
Looking forward to summer later in the year.