Merry Christmas

Broken link? Feature request? Anything related to the Spectrum Computing website here.
PeterJ
Site Admin

Merry Christmas

Post by PeterJ »

I would like to wish every one of you a very merry Christmas.

This afternoon I was looking at our Digital Ocean hosting account, and the droplet that we use to host the website was created just 15 months ago. Without the support of many people who have given up their limited free time we would not have progressed as far as we have. Thank you.

Thank you also to all of you who have joined and contributed to the forum. We thought long and hard before adding the forum, but we are all so pleased that it has been such a success and you guys (well most of you... :D ) have made it a great place to visit. It's also meant that we don't have to spend huge amounts of time moderating because of the easy going, helpful and friendly tone.

Looking forward to 2018, I would really like it if even more people came forward to help. There are many things that can be done to help (some technical and some not). I also hope that we can build up our contacts of people who developed software in the heyday of the Spectrum.

However you are spending the Christmas break, I hope you enjoy the time off (if you have time off) and that things get better and better in in 2018.
Juan F. Ramirez
Bugaboo

Re: Merry Christmas

Post by Juan F. Ramirez »

Happy Xmas to all the SC community! :)
5MinuteRetro
Manic Miner

Post by 5MinuteRetro »

This place is great. From strength to strength! If or when you need assistance -- editorial or financial are about all I can offer, because I'm technically useless -- then I'm happy to volunteer.
Retro stuff, real quick
YouTube: http://bit.ly/5MinuteRetro
Twitter: https://twitter.com/5MinuteRetro
Rorthron
Dynamite Dan

Post by Rorthron »

Merry Christmas, all.

And thanks again to Peter et al for setting this site and forum up.
dfzx
Manic Miner

Post by dfzx »

Merry Christmas to all!

Peter, how about putting up a page with a list of things that you'd like done? I have technical skills, and some writing ability, but not a great deal of spare time. I'd volunteer for the odd job now and then but I really don't know what you need or how much commitment it would require.
Derek Fountain, author of the ZX Spectrum C Programmer's Getting Started Guide and various open source games, hardware and other projects, including an IF1 and ZX Microdrive emulator.
PeterJ
Site Admin

Post by PeterJ »

dfzx wrote: Fri Dec 22, 2017 9:08 am Merry Christmas to all!

Peter, how about putting up a page with a list of things that you'd like done? I have technical skills, and some writing ability, but not a great deal of spare time. I'd volunteer for the odd job now and then but I really don't know what you need or how much commitment it would require.
Good idea. We will put something together.
R-Tape
Site Admin

Post by R-Tape »

Yep Happy Xmas everyone :D

Has anyone got a ZX playing or reading list for the break?

I'll be reading The Twilight Inventory and concentrating on a text adventure, possibly Kobyashi Naru.

Annoyingly my boiler's just broke and probably can't be repaired until the new year, and I had a hair clipper mishap last night that meant I had to virtually shave my head. So it'll be bobble hats indoors for a few weeks.
MatGubbins
Dynamite Dan

Post by MatGubbins »

R-Tape wrote: Fri Dec 22, 2017 8:44 pm Annoyingly my boiler's just broke and probably can't be repaired until the new year, and I had a hair clipper mishap last night that meant I had to virtually shave my head. So it'll be bobble hats indoors for a few weeks.
I think that you should take a picture of said shaven head and use it as your Xmas Card.

Sounds like a rather good game too, Dave's Hair Clipper Mishap, a tongue twister in the making.

Have a good'un everyone! May the festive food be eaten and festering left over food find itself into the curry.
R-Tape
Site Admin

Post by R-Tape »

MatGubbins wrote: Fri Dec 22, 2017 8:58 pm I think that you should take a picture of said shaven head and use it as your Xmas Card.
Oh go on then, christmas is all about (over)sharing innit.

EDIT - deleted unlikely but potential twitter fodder ;) and Ralf's right, this isn't facebook.
Morpheus
Microbot

Post by Morpheus »

Yes - Merry Christmas to everyone on SC

I have been given a DivMMc Mini to play with and so i will be playing all my 128K faves and some of the new ones on the 1993 & onwards list to see what i have been missing.

Not a C64 in sight :twisted:
R Tape loading error, 0:1
Ralf
Rick Dangerous

Post by Ralf »

Merry Christmas people.

Have a good, peaceful and jolly time, have some deserved rest from everyday hectic life, get the presents that you'd really like to get and not some shirt that you're not going to wear anyway ;)

Christmas should be a happy time but due to different reasons it's not always this way. If it was not so good in previous years for you, let it be different this time.

And have fun with our Spectrum hobby that we all share here. I hope it will never become dead, that there will be always, till we live, new games, hardware, projects and discoveries.

Finally I'd like on this ocassion to say my thanks to people who made this site. I fully understand that some decisions didn't come lightly but I also deeply feel that they were correct. And I suppose we can say that we already have some moderate success here ;) Forum is alive, database is alive, people are posting and contributing. It's really hard to achieve something like this in 2017. Forums are generally in decline nowadays, people became lazy, switched to Facebook where they write one sentence posts from their phones and upload selfies. Maybe I'm obsolete but I just like it the old way with longer, wiser posts and discussions that you can always easily return to them.

All the best to you people.
Evil Genius
Manic Miner

Post by Evil Genius »

A big thanks to Peter and the team

and

Happy Christmas one and all!
PaulJ
Microbot

Post by PaulJ »

Festive cheer (and beer) to you all.

Looking forward to next year and the many Speccy related things that are going on both personally and all around the world.
Paul Jenkinson | The Spectrum Show & other stuff!
1024MAK
Bugaboo

Post by 1024MAK »

Happy Christmas to everyone. And may the New Year bring less fighting in the Sinclair community ;)

Mark
:!: Standby alert :!:
“There are four lights!”
Step up to red alert. Sir, are you absolutely sure? It does mean changing the bulb :dance
Looking forward to summer later in the year.
PeterJ
Site Admin

Post by PeterJ »

1024MAK wrote: Sun Dec 24, 2017 12:21 pm Happy Christmas to everyone. And may the New Year bring less fighting in the Sinclair community ;)

Mark
I second that Mark.
RMartins
Manic Miner

Post by RMartins »

Wish you all an Happy Christmas ...
and a better 2018 for everyone.
R-Tape
Site Admin

Post by R-Tape »

Get dressed you merry gentlemen let nothing you dismay, for it is Christmas, Christmas, Christmas, Christmas, Christmas Day!
(It is Chri-i-i-i-i-iasmas Day, it is Chri-i-i-i-i-ismas Day!)
PeterJ
Site Admin

Post by PeterJ »

I'm looking forward to a festive game of BAUBLE BLAST! later today.
PeteProdge
Bugaboo

Post by PeteProdge »

I think my partner properly knows me. These are my presents...

Reheated Pixels - a combination of retrogaming, comedy and factual musing, is here!
New video: Nine ZX Spectrum magazine controversies - How Crash, Your Sinclair and Sinclair User managed to offend the world!
Alessandro
Dynamite Dan

Post by Alessandro »

Buon Natale gente!

Merry Christmas fellas!

And a big thank you to the SC staff and everyone else who keeps the Spectrum scene alive well into the 21st century. Best wishes :D :D :D