Lots of MS-DOS games to play on-line

Anything relating to non Sinclair computers from the 1980's, 90's or even before.
Juan F. Ramirez
Bugaboo

Lots of MS-DOS games to play on-line

Post by Juan F. Ramirez »

https://archive.org/details/softwarelib ... ads&page=1

I don't think it's been posted here before. Hundreds of classic DOS games to be played online using EM-DOSBOX inbrowser. It takes some time to load if it has a huge amount of memory, but once loaded, you can play it at a correct speed, with no problems.

Also, in some cases, you can download them.

Now playing the excellent puzzle game Supaplex. 8-)
Alessandro
Dynamite Dan

Re: Lots of MS-DOS games to play on-line

Post by Alessandro »

Juan F. Ramirez wrote: Wed Apr 08, 2020 7:23 pmNow playing the excellent puzzle game Supaplex. 8-)
Which has not one but two lovely Spectrum versions! :D

https://spectrumcomputing.co.uk/index.p ... 6&id=17206

https://spectrumcomputing.co.uk/index.p ... 6&id=23299
+3code

Post by +3code »

Juan F. Ramirez
Bugaboo

Thanks for the links, mates!
Juan F. Ramirez
Bugaboo

Now I'm addicted to the first Tomb Raider (1996). I remember finishing it back in the day.

Alessandro
Dynamite Dan

Post by Alessandro »

It was my favorite of the series. I still have the ZIP archive file containing the saves of the finished game, dated 3 February 1997.

I purchased the updated version (Windows 10 compatible, bilinear filtering etc.) on GOG a couple of years ago on a sale together with the second and third chapter for a paltry € 2.09.
RWAC
Manic Miner

Post by RWAC »

Juan F. Ramirez wrote: Sun Apr 12, 2020 9:09 pm Now I'm addicted to the first Tomb Raider (1996). I remember finishing it back in the day.

Graphics from this era really haven't aged well have they? I'm playing Final Fantasy 7 on the playstation at the moment and the graphics are horrible!
+3code

Post by +3code »

RWAC wrote: Tue Apr 14, 2020 9:13 am Graphics from this era really haven't aged well have they? I'm playing Final Fantasy 7 on the playstation at the moment and the graphics are horrible!
Umm, I'm playing Final Fantasy 7 on NES:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=foY1eCqXP5g
Juan F. Ramirez
Bugaboo

RWAC wrote: Tue Apr 14, 2020 9:13 am
Graphics from this era really haven't aged well have they? I'm playing Final Fantasy 7 on the playstation at the moment and the graphics are horrible!
Yep, that's also my feeling now, but I remember when it came out it was really impressive!

On the other hand, I played Raise of the Tomb Raider (PS4) last summer, the only 'modern' Tomb Raider game I've played and, compared to the classic ones I've played (1 & 2, back in the 90s) the modern versions are graphically excellent (obviously) but compared to similar adventures like Uncharted, I've founded too 'complex' to play.

From that point of view, I prefer the classic Tomb Raider games, they have a simpler gameplay.
Alessandro
Dynamite Dan

Post by Alessandro »

RWAC wrote: Tue Apr 14, 2020 9:13 am Graphics from this era really haven't aged well have they? I'm playing Final Fantasy 7 on the playstation at the moment and the graphics are horrible!
With bilinear filtering they look better, if you do not stay too close to the textures anyway :P

Lara seems to have a couple of pyramids bolted on! :lol:
RWAC
Manic Miner

Post by RWAC »

+3code wrote: Tue Apr 14, 2020 9:32 am
Umm, I'm playing Final Fantasy 7 on NES:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=foY1eCqXP5g
Wow! That looks amazing!
akeley
Dynamite Dan

Post by akeley »

Eh, I love pixels myself, and adore most of the old timey gfx. There's also the appreciation factor for the tech achievements - Tomb Raider for example was one of the groundbreaking wave of new 3D games, pulling out all kinds of coding stunts.

Another thing is that most of SD era games look crap on modern TVs & monitors, especially without shaders/scanlines. Which is why I have a substantial Trinitron collection...
Juan F. Ramirez
Bugaboo

Not from the archive.org link, but I recently got from abandonware sites Joda Stories & Indiana Jones and his Desktop Adventures.

They were unsucessful back in the day but I've always been curious about their gameplay.

Not bad. A cute alternative to solitaire and minesweeper! ;)

Maybe a similar Spectrum game someday?
patters
Manic Miner

Post by patters »

RWAC wrote: Tue Apr 14, 2020 9:13 am
Juan F. Ramirez wrote: Sun Apr 12, 2020 9:09 pm Now I'm addicted to the first Tomb Raider (1996). I remember finishing it back in the day.

I enjoy witnessing the ambition of what developers pulled off in those early 3D titles, and strangely I appreciate the chunky pixels - more so than when they're extrapolated to higher resolutions by emulators. I have a Sega Saturn that I'm revisiting at the moment and part of the charm for me is similar to what makes the Spectrum special. Exemplary creativity despite constraints that are utterly crushing by modern standards.
8BitAG
Dynamite Dan

Post by 8BitAG »

The wife and I loved all the early Tomb Raiders. It was the driving force behind us upgrading our PC, back in the day.

Find them impossible to play these days. I just can't handle the tank controls.
8-bit Text Adventure Gamer - games - research.