Did home computers in the 80s/90s influence your career choice?

Anything relating to non Sinclair computers from the 1980's, 90's or even before.

Which area do (or did you) work in?

Accountancy, banking and finance
No votes
Administrative and clerical
3%
Alternative therapies
No votes
Animals, agriculture, plants and land
No votes
Armed forces, security and uniformed services
3%
Arts, crafts and design
No votes
Broadcast, media and performing arts
No votes
Catering and hospitality
No votes
Construction
3%
Counselling and social services
No votes
Education and training
14%
Engineering and manufacturing
5%
Environmental sciences
No votes
IT and information management
59%
Journalism and publishing
3%
Law and legal services
No votes
Leisure, sport and tourism
No votes
Maintenance, service and repair
3%
Management
5%
Marketing, sales and advertising
No votes
Medical technology
No votes
Medicine and nursing
No votes
Retail sales and customer services
3%
Science and research
No votes
Service sector (including health and beauty)
No votes
Transport and logistics
No votes

Total votes: 37

Cosmium
Microbot

Re: Did home computers in the 80s/90s influence your career choice?

Post by Cosmium »

Definitely! Saw a school friend's ZX80, then saved up for the ZX81 the moment I realised it could display moving graphics (without the flicker), then saved up for the Spectrum 16K. The huge pull was being able to program/play those captivating arcade games of the era.

This lead to freelance game programming, working for fruit/amusement machine companies and onto console development at games companies in the UK and then USA. Enjoyable stuff, and it all started with those flexible, creativity-enabling little 8 bit machines from the 1980s :D
Firefox

Post by Firefox »

In a round-about sort of a way...

When I was ten I saved all my birthday money and put it towards my Xmas present - a ZX81!

I practically barricaded myself in my room and worked through the BASIC programming manual over the two-week Xmas holiday - it seemed amazing that a kid could have a computer, which up to then had been the sort of thing that only government institutions and major corporations had. :)

I had a borrowed 12" black and white telly (the sort with a dial on the front you used to tune it), but I couldn't find a tape recorder that would work with the ZX81. So I wrote my programs down in little spiral-bound notebooks and re-typed them each time. Larger programs I developed in separate sections, then one weekend I'd integrate all the bits, carefully back-annotate the listings, and then leave the ZX81 powered up all weekend so I could enjoy the fruits of my labours. (Meanwhile, my maths improved so much as a side-effect that I was bumped up to the top maths set.)

After nearly a year I sold my ZX81 (still a bit sad about that :( ) and put the proceeds towards my next Xmas present - a Spectrum! :D

So anyway, I learnt machine code (hand-assembled on sheets of squared paper!), eventually saved up for a Radio Shack datacorder, and years later a Rototronics Wafadrive, and generally got a lot of use out of my Spectrum right through my A-levels.

Then I did a stupidly hard degree in electronics and control engineering, because it seemed more interesting than computer science. (But it still had a lot of computer content, both hardware and software). With the savings from my summer programming job after A-levels I bought myself an Atari 1040STE to use during my degree, which seemed completely flipping incredible! 1024k of RAM! Amazing graphics and sound! Blue plastic squares that you jammed into the side with a satisfying clunk that cost a few pounds each and could store 800k pretty reliably! To be honest, I spent a lot of time that should've spent on my studies exploring all kinds of software development.

When I graduated I was dead set on being an electronics engineer, but there weren't many jobs around. So I picked up some agency work fixing minicomputer motherboards, and then calibrating control systems for gas pipelines. When I was there one of my colleagues said, "You can program in C? Why the hell are you doing this?!?" So I applied for two C programming jobs, got two interviews and then two offers, and went and did the most interesting of the two.

So that's how I ended up being a embedded software engineer. Home computers were a big influence, in a round-about sort of way. :)
Robel67
Drutt

Post by Robel67 »

Yes, I failed all my O levels cos I was faffing about on my 80/81. Went on a YTS, got placed at a business who had a BT Cheetah computerised telex, they then bought two apricot ms-dos machines, and I was the only person who knew how to do anything with them, that was 1983, I’ve worked in IT ever since, now just the drudgery of team management which is why I’ve just bought a 48k spectrum 👍🙂