Here we go again .. and again ... and again ...

Anything relating to non Sinclair computers from the 1980's, 90's or even before.
1bvl109
Dizzy

Here we go again .. and again ... and again ...

Post by 1bvl109 »

Does anyone keep count off the number of retro waves we've been through?

http://www.asahi.com/ajw/articles/13460000
"Truth would quickly cease to be stranger than fiction, once we got used to it." - H.L. Mencken
XTM
Manic Miner

Re: Here we go again .. and again ... and again ...

Post by XTM »

Well, unless I'm mistaken this article is about Japan only, not the whole world. Do you live there?

At least they have these shops with a big selection of games, even if they may be a bit pricey. I don't know about the UK, but in Germany such shops are extremely rare and when you find one, it's usually only console (mainly Nintendo and Sony) stuff at outrageous prices.
Ralf
Rick Dangerous

Post by Ralf »

In predictable future they will be alwyas retro waves with new generations of grown up people returning to the games of their childhood.

Just "retro" will be constantly changing it's meaning. For a 20 years old man a game from 2010 may be already retro.
Which makes me feel somewhat old ;)
toot_toot
Manic Miner

Post by toot_toot »

Ralf wrote: Sun Jun 28, 2020 1:34 pm

Just "retro" will be constantly changing it's meaning. For a 20 years old man a game from 2010 may be already retro.
Which makes me feel somewhat old ;)
Which is why I stopped reading Retro Gamer magazine! I know that the Spectrum was definitely retro by the mid to late 90s, but I refuse to believe that games from 15 or so years ago are retro! Maybe it’s because there was such a big gulf in technology and graphics between the PS1 and the Spectrum and there’s little difference between the PS3 and PS4, although the time difference is the same. I suppose the term “retro” needs to be reassessed, it’s not just because a game is a certain age that makes it retro!
Sokurah
Manic Miner

Post by Sokurah »

toot_toot wrote: Wed Jul 08, 2020 8:40 am Which is why I stopped reading Retro Gamer magazine! I know that the Spectrum was definitely retro by the mid to late 90s, but I refuse to believe that games from 15 or so years ago are retro! Maybe it’s because there was such a big gulf in technology and graphics between the PS1 and the Spectrum and there’s little difference between the PS3 and PS4, although the time difference is the same. I suppose the term “retro” needs to be reassessed, it’s not just because a game is a certain age that makes it retro!
Me too. I've long ended my subscription. Around issue 160 I think (almost 4 years now - damn, time flies).
I was mostly interrested in 'Making of' articles and interviews with people who coded for the 8-bit computers, and also 'Homebrew Heroes', but as my subscription went on there was just less and less that I wanted to read. The Making Of PS1 & 2 games or interviews with people from that period doesn't (for the most part) interrest me one bit. All the "most imporant" 8-bit games has also been covered several times by now, so I couldn't possibly give one ... fart about 10-12 pages on Pac Man. That (as well as Mario and Sonic) has been done to death. They also waste (imho) a lot of pages on stuff like 'Ultimate Guide' and 'The History Of'. I rarely read those. It's nothing but filler material. I don't miss it, but I do read up on the contents of upcoming issues and I will get a single issue if there is anything I really want to read ... but that has been more than a year.
Website: Tardis Remakes / Mostly remakes of Arcade and ZX Spectrum games.
My games for the Spectrum: Dingo, The Speccies, The Speccies 2, Vallation & Sqij.
Twitter: Sokurah
DouglasReynholm
Manic Miner

Post by DouglasReynholm »

Hmmm. I think people's definition of "retro" is always likely to be wholly subjective.

With respect to Retro Gamer, I'm still subscribed (since issue 5) but thinking of stopping it myself. Firstly because of the shrinkflation (under the excuse of Covid 19 no less!) From ~128 pages to ~96 with a roughly approximately timed hike in the sub price, which they think we haven't noticed.

But chiefly because they don't seem to be able to go a single issue without a picture and some quotes from the f*cking Oliver twins. I'm sure they're nice people, but...
Sokurah
Manic Miner

Post by Sokurah »

DouglasReynholm wrote: Wed Jul 08, 2020 11:10 am But chiefly because they don't seem to be able to go a single issue without a picture and some quotes from the f*cking Oliver twins. I'm sure they're nice people, but...
No, they're wholly terrible :lol:
Website: Tardis Remakes / Mostly remakes of Arcade and ZX Spectrum games.
My games for the Spectrum: Dingo, The Speccies, The Speccies 2, Vallation & Sqij.
Twitter: Sokurah
RWAC
Manic Miner

Post by RWAC »

David Darling says they're absolutely brilliant!
1024MAK
Bugaboo

Post by 1024MAK »

1bvl109 wrote: Sun Jun 28, 2020 1:10 pm Does anyone keep count off the number of retro waves we've been through?

http://www.asahi.com/ajw/articles/13460000
Err:
Retro - from French rétro, abbreviation of rétrograde ‘retrograde’.
Or
: relating to, reviving, or being the styles and especially the fashions of the past : fashionably nostalgic or old-fashioned

Are you sure that you still want to use the word ‘retro’?

Mark
:!: Standby alert :!:
“There are four lights!”
Step up to red alert. Sir, are you absolutely sure? It does mean changing the bulb :dance
Looking forward to summer later in the year.
XTM
Manic Miner

Post by XTM »

Do you know we have a German edition of Retro Gamer which mostly recycles articles from the English/UK version with a low amount of "homegrown" domestic articles in-between? Since the Speccy was so obscure over here, I've seen a lot of voices on a forum I'm visiting where people are complaining about all the references to the Speccy (even down to the often-used speccy font), some are saying they don't care one bit and will just skip any Speccy game articles because they have not one iota of nostalgia for the Speccy and hence aren't interested in these articles at all. Some of them are really downright pissed off to see the Speccy getting so much coverage. Sad eh ...

Edited to add a (Google-translated to English) link of said discussion: Click!
AndyC
Dynamite Dan

Post by AndyC »

XTM wrote: Wed Jul 08, 2020 6:24 pm Do you know we have a German edition of Retro Gamer which mostly recycles articles from the English/UK version with a low amount of "homegrown" domestic articles in-between? Since the Speccy was so obscure over here, I've seen a lot of voices on a forum I'm visiting where people are complaining about all the references to the Speccy (even down to the often-used speccy font), some are saying they don't care one bit and will just skip any Speccy game articles because they have not one iota of nostalgia for the Speccy and hence aren't interested in these articles at all. Some of them are really downright pissed off to see the Speccy getting so much coverage. Sad eh ...

Edited to add a (Google-translated to English) link of said discussion: Click!
I always find that attitude a bit strange, but maybe that's just me. If I see an article on some weird retro system I've never heard off, I'm more likely to read it than something which re-treads common ground on a well known game for a well known platform. It's always more likely to have new information when the whole thing is obscure.
Ralf
Rick Dangerous

Post by Ralf »

some are saying they don't care one bit and will just skip any Speccy game
I'm somewhere inbetween here.
Generally I'm interested in any retro computers. Not so much as Spectrum but I'll read a good article if it's not too technical.

Consoles are a different thing. They were always a bit foreign to me, till today I can't play anything well with a pad.

And console games are often hmm.. specific. All these console heroes - Mario, Sonic, Megaman mean nothing to me. The games often have
this special Japanese flavour - manga, pokemons, general "cuteness" which I usually don't get as well.

So yes, I could skip an article about retro consoles.
Morkin
Bugaboo

Post by Morkin »

Got a few Retro Gamer mags some time ago. I suppose it's a positive that there's loads of content, but for me it's probably too much to consume in one go..!

Nowadays I prefer the odd targeted article, on a particular game or item, or perhaps its author, rather than wading through a full media panoply of gaming platforms.

I don't really mind seeing some repetition of older known information in articles, some of us haven't necessarily read everything yet. I find there's still plenty of free info on internet sites that I haven't yet read - for that reason I'm not particularly interested in Kickstarters etc. for retro media-type things.
My Speccy site: thirdharmoniser.com