C64 haikus

Anything relating to non Sinclair computers from the 1980's, 90's or even before.
TMD2003
Rick Dangerous

Re: C64 haikus

Post by TMD2003 »

Dragon 32
It's just a Tandy CoCo
With a Welsh accent

I'm going to have to pause my conversion of the C64 program as the house move has just moved from "simmering gently" to "ALL SYSTEMS GO!" If nobody else has a crack in the meantime, I'll pick it up where I left off. I've done the student/teacher instructions and the title page, all that's required is the actual bit of the program that writes the haiku...
Spectribution: Dr. Jim's Sinclair computing pages.
Features my own programs, modified type-ins, RZXs, character sets & UDGs, and QL type-ins... so far!
+3code

Post by +3code »

I remember now, the book is
https://spectrumcomputing.co.uk/entry/2 ... rocomputer
and the program is called "Hanshan", it makes too haiku-like poems.
TMD2003
Rick Dangerous

Post by TMD2003 »

The ZX80
Keyboard is like surgery
With gardening gloves

Banzai! I've gone back to the haiku program today, and the meat of it that produces the actual haiku wasn't too hard to crack once I'd worked out that "TI" is a Commie command dealing with the system timer, and there was really no need to PEEK 23672 and make that part of the randomising routine.

It was all ready to go, then I found 8,788 bytes is apparently too much to load on the 16K machine (by 28 bytes), so "4 Out of memory" appears on loading from tape, as soon as the header is displayed. However, deleting all the REMs and using the old ZX81 technique of NOT/SGN/INT PI and a ton of VALs, I've made it fit into the much-more-limited-than-I-thought memory of the 16K model. It doesn't seem to have slowed it down, either, at least not that I notice. It's more colourful than the C64 version (well, obviously), and I'd say my intro screen is far better than the original.

Image Image

Download the program
Write computing-based haiku
You have much honour.
Spectribution: Dr. Jim's Sinclair computing pages.
Features my own programs, modified type-ins, RZXs, character sets & UDGs, and QL type-ins... so far!