What games do you enjoy playing on other 8bit computers

Anything relating to non Sinclair computers from the 1980's, 90's or even before.
PeterJ
Site Admin

What games do you enjoy playing on other 8bit computers

Post by PeterJ »

So, over lockdown I've been playing with all sorts of 8bit computer systems. I think it's helping me appreciate the Spectrum even more.

However there were some games exclusive to other platforms. What's your favourite? It could also include a title you feel plays better on another platform.

Just to be clear this is 8bit computer systems, plus the 16bit TI99/4A. Consoles are not included. Machines from the 1980s only please.

I will kick this off with Elidon.

https://msxgamesworld.com/software.php?id=1541
2 x

Joefish
Manic Miner

Re: What games do you enjoy playing on other 8bit computers

Post by Joefish »

Funnily enough, The Eidolon looked better on the C64 and Atari, though I'm not hugely fond of any particular version!

Wizball, being based entirely around colour, is one I'd rather play on the C64 than the Spectrum. And the Atari ST menu disk in general circulation with it on is screwed up and doesn't play the later levels, so again, back to the C64.
1 x

uglifruit
Manic Miner

Post by uglifruit »

With you asking what you enjoyed (rather than what was 'good') I'm going to go with RADAR RATRACE on the Vic20.

Be under no illusions this isn't great. It's a clone of Rally-X. Rally-X was a game I'd watched playing in the seaside arcade (specifically Miller's Amusement Arcade, in Chapel St Leonards. Which is still there, but looks different 40 years later. Different insofar as the arcade machines have changed. I found a youtube video of someone going around it recently). When I was visiting in the early 80s the amusements had lots of electromechanical machines at the back, one armed bandits and a growing number of video games which increased each year. Rally-X was one of the early ones, and at 10p a go was far too much for one play. Especially when there was the 1p 'drop-the-coin-in-the-top-and-then-it-dropped-between-the-pins-a-bit-like-pachinko-or-peggle-and-sometimes-it-would-fall-into-the-win-sections-that-made-the-wheels-turn-like-that-'downfall'-game-that-might-win-you-up-to-10-pennies-back'.*
Anyway, I was transfixed by Rally-X (attract mode), but never played it. I'd seen Boot Hill and then Space Invaders in The Vine pub (also in the same seaside village). But this looked AMAZING. Racing cars in a maze! Getting flags. I even watched other people play it. Though I never played it myself, but I still loved it.

At home, miles from the seaside I was given a ZX81. I think this would have on my birthday in 1982. This was also AMAZING. I could make things appear on my telly! And explored BASIC, albeit within the confines of Black and White, and in silence.

Then my best friend, Akash, got a VIC-20. His family were rich beyond my wildest dreams. He had a pet parrot. And a VIC-20. With RADAR RATRACE. And there it was RALLY-X but in my home (well, in Akash's home). AND I GOT TO PLAY IT!!!!

Returning to it now the musical loop (of ThreeBlindMice, played badly) is up there with Booty level of annoying. But back then I was in heaven. Also he had a parrot! How cool is that?!

* I don't know what this machine was called, and I can't find a picture. But I really liked it. It was taller than a 10 year old me, and ate nearly all my seaside spending money - which was typically 10p, in penny pieces on the days we went into the village near the amusement arcade. I also liked the ones where you rolled a penny onto a moving track, and it had to land between the lines to win.

2 x
CLEAR 23855

Juan F. Ramirez
Rick Dangerous

Post by Juan F. Ramirez »

I usually play arcade games on MAME (Frogger, Scramble, Donkey Kong, KF Master, ...), as well as DOS games on Dropbox. Along with the Spectrum, they're the three main 8bit fave systems.

I seldom play NDS (own machine) or GBA games (via emulator).
Last edited by Juan F. Ramirez on Mon Sep 14, 2020 4:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 x

Joefish
Manic Miner

Post by Joefish »

I enjoyed playing Green Beret on the MSX - mainly because it was on a cartridge and you didn't have to wait for it to load! I've never seen another MSX cartridge in my life though.

Also Mappy on the MSX (cassette) - it's a fun arcade game contemporary with Pac-Man and probably the earliest colour video arcade game I ever remember seeing (i.e. mechanical shooting galleries, Space Invaders, then this). I don't think there were any other 8-bit computer conversions of it. There was a NES version and there's now an Atari 2600 Homebrew version. I also have one of those 6" mini arcade cabinets that plays it (a thinly disguised NES version, at least).
0 x

+3code
Microbot

Post by +3code »

The versions of Bogaboo for ZX81, C64 and MSX are good and fun to play.
0 x

stupidget
Manic Miner

Post by stupidget »

I was a massive fan of Cuthbert goes walkabout on the Dragon 32 we had in '82. A few years back I bagged myself a mint Dragon of Gumtree for £20 and the first thing I did was CLOAD Cuthbert and it was as much fun as it was 38 years ago. The Dragon also had an excellent version of Donkey Kong called Donkey King (not really sure how the got away with that) :shock: :shock:
0 x

Ralf
Dynamite Dan

Post by Ralf »

I enjoyed playing Green Beret on the MSX
Green Beret on MSX is generally considered a very bad port.
Have a look:

Slow, jerky scrolling, lame sprite graphics, few sprites on screen etc. Much worse than Spectrum on a machine more powerful than Spectrum.

but this explains it a little bit ;) :
mainly because it was on a cartridge and you didn't have to wait for it to load!
0 x

akeley
Manic Miner

Post by akeley »

PeterJ wrote:
Mon Sep 14, 2020 2:49 pm
So, over lockdown I've been playing with all sorts of 8bit computer systems. I think it's helping me appreciate the Spectrum even more.
A true Sinclair man, through and through :) I love comparing games across various platforms, but I'm afraid that despite my first-love sentiments towards the ZX I do find most of the other versions superior, though not always by as huge a margin as most other micros' fans like to claim.

But some definitely are. For example Ninja on Atari is just on another level entirely from the ZX version. It's really worth trying, has amazing music and gameplay. Another "huge gap" game would be Mission Elevator. It really shines on the CPC.

As for quality exclusives, a few for starters: on C64 Project Firestart springs to mind, CPC has Sorcery, and Atari 8 bit....ummm...not sure :D Everything good they have I think got ported elsewhere.
0 x

Turtle_Quality
Dizzy

Post by Turtle_Quality »

There are a few Atari VCS games I still like to play and would like to port to the Speccy some day.

Adventure (with dragons that looked like ducks)

Combat (mostly the tank game), Warlords the (ULTIMATE multi player game), Maze Craze. These 3 are all multiplayer, graphics little better than the ZX81 in colour but still great fun.

Of the arcade conversions Millipede and Asteroids were quite fun on the VCS

On the Amiga; Kick Off 2, Championship Manager, Lemmings, Pinball Dreams, Sim City, Dynablaster (ideally 5 player), Skidmarks (preferably 4 player)
0 x
Definition of loop : see loop