What games do you enjoy playing on other 8bit computers

Anything relating to non Sinclair computers from the 1980's, 90's or even before.
ianace
Dizzy

Re: What games do you enjoy playing on other 8bit computers

Post by ianace »

Star Trek on the Gameboy
0 x

Joefish
Manic Miner

Post by Joefish »

Probotector is still a brilliant GameBoy game. I'm not much of a fan of the Contra stuff, but this one works really well.
0 x

Alessandro
Manic Miner

Post by Alessandro »

My favorites on the C64: Fort Apocalypse, Tapper, The Last Ninja, Flimbo's Quest, Turrican, International Karate, Ghosts 'n' Goblins, Track And Field, Wizball, World Games, Curse Of The Azure Bonds, Maniac Mansion, Zak McKraken And The Alien Mindbenders and Apollo 18.

I did not experience gaming on any other 8-bit platforms to be honest, save for trying Renegade on the CPC 464 once. The scene here was dominated from about late 1985 on by the C64, followed by the Spectrum. Other platforms were extremely rare in comparison.
0 x

PeterJ
Site Admin

Post by PeterJ »

Thank you for all the comments. The specific question was about 8 bit computers :D

Funny how topics wonder! It's all good.
0 x

Ersh
Manic Miner

Post by Ersh »

If strictly speaking about home-micros and no consoles, then Samurai Warrior – The Battles of Usagi Yojimbo is my favourite Commodore 64 game. Not an exclusive, but a vastly different experience when compared to the Spectrum version.

The combat in the original c64 version is explosive, dynamic and pretty advanced for its time with a combo system that requires skill to master. Conveniently this version has a training stage to practice your movement and timing. The enemy AI is very believable and always keeps you on your toes. There is also a useful combat move and a very rudimentary leveling system that are missing in the Spectrum version.

There are even more events along the way on the c64. Meeting Nobilities with their Bodyguards, Monks that recites Koans and Tokages lizards that you can befriend just like in the comics, adding to the immersion. There's also an exclusive boss, a mountain Troll, that you may meet on your path and a final boss fight, versus two Monks, that are absent in the Spectrum game.

It features fast, colourful, near-fullscreen graphics and a great soundtrack (with simultaneous sound effects). It's rock hard, but doable with practice and it even has a proper ending to boot.

In comparison, the Spectrum port moves at a snail's pace in a small window, the combat is way too basic and the enemies are way too easy, they just jump around and can be avoided without much effort. There is not much difference between the only two enemies available there either (and the Ninjas are also way over-represented). It uses exactly the same level background layout three times in the game and almost all stages look pretty samey anyway.

Now, the Spectrum version is not a bad game, but it lacks so much of what made the original so wonderful. One thing I really liked about the Spectrum game though, is the random Ninjas in disguise, on the c64 they are all predetermined.
0 x

Turtle_Quality
Dizzy

Post by Turtle_Quality »

PeterJ wrote:
Mon Sep 14, 2020 6:31 pm
Thank you for all the comments. The specific question was about 8 bit computers :D

Funny how topics wonder! It's all good.
Oh what now you expect us to read your questions before answering them ?

:oops:
1 x
Definition of loop : see loop

PeteProdge
Manic Miner

Post by PeteProdge »

Feud on the Amstrad.

I really love the game on the Speccy, and I know how to complete it every time. It's pretty much the same on the MSX and Atari 8-bits, albeit slower (much much slower on Atari, like you're walking through puddles of superglue).

The Amstrad CPC is like a fresh Feud challenge for me, because the map defies all other versions. It's like the Spectrum one got put through a blender - it's all set out differently. I've yet to beat it.

1 x
Reheated Pixels - a combination of retrogaming, comedy and factual musing, is here now!
8pm Tuesday 25th Aug: A Speccy-centric look at Mastertronic's 180, live!

RWAC
Microbot

Post by RWAC »

Do Dos games count?
I played through the first 3 Ultima games recently.

I'm more of a console gamer normally, except for the Amiga and Spectrum.
0 x

textvoyage
Berk

Post by textvoyage »

I still enjoy Starship Command on the BBC Micro

https://youtu.be/WRBrWZlofhg

And while you're at it, try out Hellforce and Microbe if you like frantic shoot-em-ups
0 x

uglifruit
Manic Miner

Post by uglifruit »

Exile - BBC Micro. (1988) I mean, it's great. Mysterious, huge, colourful, pretty, overwhelming. I don't know what I'm doing, but it's still great. It feels like the game Lunar Jetman could have been. Without an investment of time with the keys you'll just be drifting around aimlessly, but even that is fun it itself. Go and have a go now, I can wait.

Alter Ego - C64. (1986) An oddity this one. A series of multiple choice questions, framed as a personality quiz. It's funny, thought provoking, and possibly quite sad. I can't decide if it wants to be taken seriously, or it's gloriously taking the P?s? out of self-help/personality tests. Nonetheless I do enjoy it. Spend 15 mins with it, see if you like it.
0 x
CLEAR 23855