SAM Coupé Sprites

Anything relating to non Sinclair computers from the 1980's, 90's or even before.
PeterJ
Site Admin

SAM Coupé Sprites

Post by PeterJ »

I read that the SAM Coupé has software defined sprites, but can't see this in the manual. Have I been mislead?
AndyC
Dynamite Dan

Re: SAM Coupé Sprites

Post by AndyC »

It was certainly possible to grab bits of the screen from BASIC and draw them elsewhere on the screen, which could be used as a primitive sprite function. Something like GET$ and PUT$ if I recall correctly.
Ralf
Rick Dangerous

Post by Ralf »

Do you mean sprites available from Basic? Yes, I recall SAM's Basic was quite advanced and allowed such stuff.
PeterJ
Site Admin

Post by PeterJ »

Ralf wrote: Mon Apr 09, 2018 2:59 pm Do you mean sprites available from Basic? Yes, I recall SAM's Basic was quite advanced and allowed such stuff.
Thank [mention]Ralf[/mention], but I can see no mention of this in the manual.
AndyC
Dynamite Dan

Post by AndyC »

Ah, found a copy of the manual online. The relevant commands are GRAB and PUT. It's not really "sprites" as such, but is enough building blocks (including the ability to mask graphics) that you can create simple software sprites in BASIC without too much difficulty. Only works in screen modes 3 and 4 though apparently.

I really must get round to installing SimCoupe and playing around with the SAM again some time. Shame the actual hardware is so darned hard to get hold of!
PeterJ
Site Admin

Post by PeterJ »

Thanks [mention]AndyC[/mention], I'm using ZEsarUX from [mention]chernandezba[/mention] which supports the machine. You are right about the price of the original hardware. It's mad!
chernandezba
Microbot

Post by chernandezba »

Thanks! :)
Although Sam emulation on ZEsarUX is experimental
ellvis
Drutt

Post by ellvis »

Hi,

no, Sam Coupé have no hardware sprites. The only hardware things you can use are line interrupts and palette change, that's all. On the other hand, BASIC is pretty clever and allow you to use a blitter and so on, but behind the scenes it is all software.
Turtle_Quality
Manic Miner

Post by Turtle_Quality »

Fred magazine ran some coding articles that can be found here

https://sam.speccy.cz/coding.html

including number 20 Sprites
Definition of loop : see loop