Christian game companies in the 80's, 90's

Anything relating to non Sinclair computers from the 1980's, 90's or even before.
MrPixel
Microbot

Christian game companies in the 80's, 90's

Post by MrPixel »

just curious. were there any christian games for the c64 or zx spectrum in the 80's or 90's and if so, what companies. i don't mean to get into a debate (i would like to avoid that if possible) but want an honest answer. something to show my mother (she fell in love with the games the moment she saw the graphics, she's sweet like that)
PeterJ
Site Admin

Re: Christian game companies in the 80's, 90's

Post by PeterJ »

Do a search for Bible on the main search and you will find a number in the results.

For C64 you will need to go to Lemon64 and ask there.
Ralf
Rick Dangerous

Post by Ralf »

Yes, there were some Christian theme gamed and utilities, although not so many.

See for example this list on World of Spectrum with filter set to "religious gospel"
http://www.worldofspectrum.org/infoseek ... loadpics=0

As I look on it now, it seems incomplete but it should give you idea how these things looked like. You can also search for "Noah" to get some titles.
Einar Saukas
Bugaboo

Post by Einar Saukas »

Ralf wrote: Sun Apr 15, 2018 10:21 pm See for example this list on World of Spectrum with filter set to "religious gospel"
And the same query here:

https://spectrumcomputing.co.uk/index.p ... up_id=5011
R-Tape
Site Admin

Post by R-Tape »

40 Sermon Outlines for Busy Preachers
I think that's what we call niche!
Nomad
Manic Miner

Post by Nomad »

Tools for Christians to indoctrinate there kids and vulnerable individuals & applications to better run the business of faith or cripto religious companies that just produce secular content?

Like there is a big difference between say a Wisdom Tree and a company where the majority of its employees were Christians but didn't push a ideology on vulnerable kids for parents that were using a computer to babysit/raise there children :lol: .

If you look at the basic book that was written for writing bible games, when you look at the MO - take another person's idea, then add no significant game play, content. It's mostly just a name swap/graphics swap in most cases to promote a ideology. I guess I would have more sympathy for these companies if they actually created content instead of unimaginative graphics swaps.

https://spectrumcomputing.co.uk/index.p ... id=2000850

Ok but there were some very creative games also created with a religious theme..

The one I thing was most impressive was a Microhobby game.

[media]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-LaiY9AGocQ[/media]

You and your mum could do the type-in its 5 pages of pure hex. Though this certainly is on the far end of the spectrum in terms of skill required. Games like this are the logical conclusion for type-in magazines but this kind of kills the medium at the same time. :lol:

Anyway its a fun game, enjoy the type-in. Every time you get an error take a shot.

https://spectrumcomputing.co.uk/mag.php ... 27&page=16

I guess the distinction comes about intent of the author - did they use a religious theme for creative reasons or as a cash grab?

Like you look at the microhobby game - imagine the time that took to write :lol:
MrPixel
Microbot

Post by MrPixel »

i object to the term indoctrination but also advise you to look up Spiritual warfare for nes. only decent wisdom tree game out there, save for exodus
Nomad
Manic Miner

Post by Nomad »

In the end we might not agree on an issue, that is totally fine. Getting offended - that is just finding an uncomfortable view point. If it gives you pause for thought, helps you either re-evaluate how you think about an issue (said nobody ever on the internet) or strengthens your own resolve (most people) Give the bible games book a look. There are a bunch of type-ins for basic that are short you can do them in around 30 mins.

I been trying to think of spectrum games that promoted religious values of one type or another, like games whos intent were to show a pov. I think that is the more interesting question.

One of the definition of indoctrination is : The process of teaching a person or group to accept a set of beliefs uncritically.

Who makes the choice to buy the game for the child? Why should something as important as a persons religious formation be made by a 3rd party? Shouldn't it be an individuals choice made when they are equipped to do so? Same as their Political views. I figure most people would agree we shouldn't try and influence our kids political formation in this way, so why is religion given a free pass?

I got nothing against religion or non-religion, political whatever. I think that whatever path a person chooses the decision should be done by themselves and not be chosen by another person who is in a financial/legal position of authority over them as a child.

If the ideas stand up to scrutiny by a individual as an adult then what is the problem? If an idea is sound then its going to make just as much sense as an adult - made as a free choice that makes the most sense to that individual and his/her situation.

But look were here for spectrum stuff :lol: I was surprised how little overtly political/religious stuff was created for the spectrum. I think there was a lot of self restraint shown on the part of organisations here during the 1980s. I guess it was down to the time period, microcomputers being so new.
Ralf
Rick Dangerous

Post by Ralf »

If you are interested in Christian games, especially BAD Christian games you make like to watch this (not Spectrum related but still retro):

This is the famous Angry Video Game Nerd doing his crazy style review of some hilarious Christian games. Actually you should rather say "Christian" as they are seem to be crap and unplayable clones and ripoffs of big hits like Mario or Wolfenstein with Mario being replaced by Noah or Moses :o .

[media]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LkNvQYiM6bw[/media]