Ebay deal of the century

Anything relating to non Sinclair computers from the 1980's, 90's or even before.
beanz
Microbot

Ebay deal of the century

Post by beanz »

Nomad
Manic Miner

Re: Ebay deal of the century

Post by Nomad »

Ast A. Moore
Rick Dangerous

Post by Ast A. Moore »

Should go nicely with this gem.
Every man should plant a tree, build a house, and write a ZX Spectrum game.

Author of A Yankee in Iraq, a 50 fps shoot-’em-up—the first game to utilize the floating bus on the +2A/+3,
and zasm Z80 Assembler syntax highlighter.
Ralf
Rick Dangerous

Post by Ralf »

I've seen quite a lot such auctions with "crazy" prices in the past. There is some logic behind it, it's something with testing the interest and learning the market price. Or making the auction "on hold" - creating it while not being able to deal with it at the moment. I once saw the explanation but forgot the details.

But read this description, it's even more hilarious, he goes with a long rant copied from Wikipedia and other sources describing the movie and its characters in very small details ;)
PeterJ
Site Admin

Post by PeterJ »

These have unsurprisingly been up for months:

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre ... 2803865527
Nomad
Manic Miner

Post by Nomad »

The weird thing with spectrum books was the UK was flooded with them, there was tons of overstock that was still in circulation right up until the end of the 90s. You used to commonly find complete runs of magazines, books, manuals for anywhere from 10p - 1 pound. I got the binder versions of Input for 3 quid - the whole run at the end of the 90s. How did the price for these books that would often induce regret at the 1 pound stage* ever hope to find a buyer at the 39.99 mark lol...

That is why I can't understand the pricing on the net for spectrum books. These things were not worth 10 quid brand new. :lol: It's not like a firestorm engulfed the warehouse where the totality of spectrum inventory was kept. Nobody went on a low-effort cash grab spectrum book jihad and removed all of Tim Hartnell's books from circulation.

The only theory I have is drunk people on ebay buying stuff under the influence or high. It could have been expanded reach of ebay - reaching basement dwellers who didn't have the social skills to go outside to visit the boot sales/charity shops.

But when the sellers realized they could sell this junk for crazy prices, even if they had to sit on this junk for months it made sense to go this route. Especially for the books. It can just sit on a shelf, cost of storage is not that great and if you can find a dude that will pay 40x what you would have gotten at the boot sale plus postage that is a big win for them.

* I have been called cheap by Scottish people.. let that sink in. :lol:
beanz
Microbot

Post by beanz »

Nomad
Manic Miner

Post by Nomad »

You can really find the top tier deals! :lol: