EFMB for the C64

Anything relating to non Sinclair computers from the 1980's, 90's or even before.
R-Tape
Site Admin

EFMB for the C64

Post by R-Tape »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2XGGT5M76cM

There are two different C64 conversions of my game EFMB being worked on! Here's one of them. It pains me to say it looks very slick, quite close to the PC version, in fact I think these munchbots look better.

So far it's been done on SAM, Amiga, Speccy and PC, now it just needs Amstrad & BBC to make it Endless Remakes Most Beautiful.
hikoki
Manic Miner

Re: EFMB for the C64

Post by hikoki »

Nice. I played more the PC version.
Could this be made with old good slow Sinclair Basic? One idea would be using lightning Draw lines right before any sprite moves, a bit like the animation when the hero moves between teleporters.. or perhaps showing diffrent lines in length for every baddie, the slower the shorter the line,etc
MatGubbins
Dynamite Dan

Post by MatGubbins »

It does look sleek, remember you can always do a rewrite of your code and draw some new graphics, then add a '+', redux, special/gold edition to the title. I'm sure that you have some spare time between all the other projects that you have. :D
R-Tape
Site Admin

Post by R-Tape »

hikoki wrote: Mon May 14, 2018 11:09 am Nice. I played more the PC version.
Could this be made with old good slow Sinclair Basic? One idea would be using lightning Draw lines right before any sprite moves, a bit like the animation when the hero moves between teleporters.. or perhaps showing diffrent lines in length for every baddie, the slower the shorter the line,etc
Sinclair BASIC was where it all started, as 2010: A Philatelist’s Odyssey (we’re still updating individual entries so if you want to play it get it from this bundle). I don’t fully understand your suggestion but whichever way you look at it, a Sinclair BASIC version will be verrryyy slow. BBC BASIC maybe…
MatGubbins wrote: Mon May 14, 2018 11:35 am It does look sleek, remember you can always do a rewrite of your code and draw some new graphics, then add a '+', redux, special/gold edition to the title. I'm sure that you have some spare time between all the other projects that you have. :D
Yessss. For the record, despite my numerous reiterations of the idea I’m still most fond of Stamp Quest!
hikoki
Manic Miner

Post by hikoki »

DRAW lines are drawn quite fast in Basic, right? so you could print sprites only at the ends of every line. Perhaps a gameplay as in Stick Hero where you'd have to guess your next move and the baddies' one https://youtu.be/kwZSh9Ckucw
you could even have pills to enlarge your dickness :)
I'll give the Basic game a go
Spud
Manic Miner

Post by Spud »

R-Tape wrote: Mon May 14, 2018 10:48 am https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2XGGT5M76cM

There are two different C64 conversions of my game EFMB being worked on! Here's one of them. It pains me to say it looks very slick, quite close to the PC version, in fact I think these munchbots look better.

So far it's been done on SAM, Amiga, Speccy and PC, now it just needs Amstrad & BBC to make it Endless Remakes Most Beautiful.
Personally, I think that conversion is spot on. Very nice indeed (and I hate the C64. Who doesn't!?). :D
Kweepa
Manic Miner

Post by Kweepa »

For a basic version, don't forget Countless Runes All Pisspoor:
https://spectrumcomputing.co.uk/index.p ... 6&id=31263
MrPixel
Microbot

Post by MrPixel »

Spud wrote: Mon May 14, 2018 2:27 pm
R-Tape wrote: Mon May 14, 2018 10:48 am https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2XGGT5M76cM

Personally, I think that conversion is spot on. Very nice indeed (and I hate the C64. Who doesn't!?). :D
i dispute that sentiment. i love both systems. your opinion is not very popular
Ast A. Moore
Rick Dangerous

Post by Ast A. Moore »

Spud wrote: Mon May 14, 2018 2:27 pm (and I hate the C64. Who doesn't!?). :D
The C64 is ahh, ahh!
[media]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k4o4akNqw9s[/media]
Every man should plant a tree, build a house, and write a ZX Spectrum game.

Author of A Yankee in Iraq, a 50 fps shoot-’em-up—the first game to utilize the floating bus on the +2A/+3,
and zasm Z80 Assembler syntax highlighter.
R-Tape
Site Admin

Post by R-Tape »

Kweepa wrote: Mon May 14, 2018 6:06 pm For a basic version, don't forget Countless Runes All Pisspoor:
https://spectrumcomputing.co.uk/index.p ... 6&id=31263
For shame, how could I forget that?!
R-Tape
Site Admin

Post by R-Tape »

hikoki wrote: Mon May 14, 2018 11:50 am DRAW lines are drawn quite fast in Basic, right? so you could print sprites only at the ends of every line.
Not that fast really. I like the idea of Mr stick, just not a BASIC realisation of it. Another good idea to add a mix of action & puzzle to.
you could even have pills to enlarge your dickness :)
Quite!
MatGubbins
Dynamite Dan

Post by MatGubbins »

After watching the stick game video, here's an extra bit that could be easily added to the game. I don't own a smartie phone so I can't play the game to see if the idea is already there.
Keeping the game style as shown in the video but have the next block at a different height to the previous, this means that the stick has to be made just that little bit longer to reach the block - the player having to take in the rotation + length (all that angle TAN SGN COS bollox that I never understood at school), the character then walks across, steps upwards or slides down the stick.
Last edited by MatGubbins on Mon May 14, 2018 11:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MatGubbins
Dynamite Dan

Post by MatGubbins »

- stupid me, quoted instead of edit-
hikoki
Manic Miner

Post by hikoki »

^^ I think blocks are always the same height, any ways rotation is there in your head to guess before it happens.
From ketchapp, I prefer 2cars though stick hero's gameplay could be interesting for a basketball game.
Well the Draw sample from the Basic manual looks fast to me, the point is that you wouldn't need to print sprites all the time, besides it could be fun to manage how many pills you'd need to reach a teleport or keep out of the enemies stride. Every move would be an ellipsis :)
R-Tape
Site Admin

EFMB for the C64

Post by R-Tape »

One of the C64 remakes has been finished, it's a remake of Locomalito's remake of EFMB, but it still counts towards my hope that my simple teleporter platformery game thing ends up on every 8 & 16bit platform! Here's a good vid about it by Wouter:

[media]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s2Knv5v ... e=youtu.be[/media]

What's left? BBC, Amstrad, Oric, ZX81... :mrgreen:
RWAC
Manic Miner

Post by RWAC »

Needs more brown