Upgrade remorse:ports

Anything relating to non Sinclair computers from the 1980's, 90's or even before.
Ralf
Rick Dangerous

Re: Upgrade remorse:ports

Post by Ralf »

out of curiosity, why is the screen yellow throughout? can't the spectrum allow a wider pallete like in Exolon? (which btw, glitches on zxspin. the lives turn infinite for some reason)
You should definitely do some reading on Spectrum display limitations and "colour clash" ;)
MrPixel
Microbot

Post by MrPixel »

Ralf wrote: Fri May 25, 2018 10:36 pm
out of curiosity, why is the screen yellow throughout? can't the spectrum allow a wider pallete like in Exolon? (which btw, glitches on zxspin. the lives turn infinite for some reason)
You should definitely do some reading on Spectrum display limitations and "colour clash" ;)
Colour is not proper. anyway, i'll do that
MrPixel
Microbot

Post by MrPixel »

you did a nice job. are you going to release the source code?
druellan
Dynamite Dan

Post by druellan »

PeteProdge wrote: Fri May 25, 2018 12:43 pm Apparently Tetris was supposedly best on the ZX Spectrum, with the 16-bit machines of the day doing badly. Not because of technical limitations (obviously!) but because of the daft idea to have shimmering background graphics which became distracting
Agree. I always disable the backgrounds, but later I discovered Frantisek Fuka's Tetris 2, the best Tetris for the system IMO (https://spectrumcomputing.co.uk/index.p ... 96&id=5213)
Last edited by druellan on Sat May 26, 2018 10:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
druellan
Dynamite Dan

Post by druellan »

Arcade to Spectrum (and almost any other system) Double Dragon
Arcade to C64: Space Harrier

Now, I always like to draw a line between ports and conversions. For me a port is something that tries to recreate the original as much as possible, reuse assets, etc. A conversion tries to deconstruct the original, and adapt the concept to the system, taking into account the limitations.

An example of port could be Golden Axe for the Spectrum: Graphics are converted without any retouching, and the intention for retain some color ended up producing almost too fast blocky movements.
An example of conversion could be Arkanoid: no distracting backgrounds and an interesting movement mechanic that tries to compensate the lack of trackball.
MrPixel
Microbot

Post by MrPixel »

so, what could be an example of a spectrum port turning out worse on the c64 or a c64 port turning out worse on the amiga?
AndyC
Dynamite Dan

Post by AndyC »

Jet Set Willy. The C64 version is just embarrassingly crap.