Amstrad CPC and WinAPE

Anything relating to non Sinclair computers from the 1980's, 90's or even before.
MrPixel
Microbot

Amstrad CPC and WinAPE

Post by MrPixel »

Ok, so before you consider me foolish for posting, how do i run assembled code from basic, like in Zeus. I can assemble the code but running it is another matter entirely. it assembles fine but there is nothing shown on screen. i understand that it shares a lot of the same code structure with the spectrum and want to make a Snake type game to start with. however, there are no tutorials online anywhere, and i don't want to sign up for another site. a little help? :?
djnzx48
Manic Miner

Re: Amstrad CPC and WinAPE

Post by djnzx48 »

I can't help with anything Amstrad-related, but there are these tutorials which are largely based on the CPC, so maybe they might help? Zeus should work with other Z80-based machines in theory, but I've never tried it. As long as you use 'output_bin "filename", start, end', and then load the resulting binary into the Amstrad's memory, you should just be able to execute it.
AndyC
Dynamite Dan

Re: Amstrad CPC and WinAPE

Post by AndyC »

The equivalent of CLEAR is MEMORY, the (approx) equivalent of USR is CALL. So if your planning to assemble to 4000h, you'd first do:

MEMORY &3FFF

The & prefix is for hex, you can also use % for binary numbers. Then when you've assembled your code, just do CALL &4000 from Basic to run it.
If you don't need Basic at all and just want to go straight from the WinAPE assembler you can stick a run directive in your assembly file to tell the assember where to launch your code from when you hit run. Full instructions on the WinAPE assembler directives are at http://www.winape.net/help/assembler_directives.html