DK'Tronics 3 Channel Sound Synthesiser

This is the place for general discussion and updates about the ZXDB Database. This forum is not specific to Spectrum Computing.

Moderator: druellan

PeterJ
Site Admin

DK'Tronics 3 Channel Sound Synthesiser

Post by PeterJ »

[mention]Einar Saukas[/mention] & [mention]druellan[/mention],

Would it be possible to add a group for 'DK'Tronics 3 Channel Sound Synthesiser'. I would like to add support for this for Plum Duff.

Thanks

https://spectrumcomputing.co.uk/entry/1 ... ynthesiser

PS - Thanks to [mention]druellan[/mention] who originally made me aware of how great this title is for testing!
Alessandro
Dynamite Dan

Re: DK'Tronics 3 Channel Sound Synthesiser

Post by Alessandro »

Does anybody know about other titles that supported this device?
druellan
Dynamite Dan

Post by druellan »

I'll try and do a search. At least we have two, including the software provided with the device.
jimmy
Drutt

Post by jimmy »

Alessandro wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 7:22 pm Does anybody know about other titles that supported this device?
I was going to suggest Star Trek 3000 https://spectrumcomputing.co.uk/entry/4 ... _Trek_3000 by DK'Tronics, as even though it doesn't mention it on the inlay, the code is definitely trying to write to an AY sound chip.

I've had a quick look at the code (well BASIC program) and it is OUT-ing to ports 159 and 191, not the ports used by the DK'Tronics unit (63/95). I wonder what sound unit used these ports? - it also does an IN 223 to check for the presence of the unit.
jimmy
Drutt

Post by jimmy »

It looks like the Fuller and DK'Tronics sound units use the same ports - 63 for register, 95 for data. I don't know if their clock frequencies to the AY are the same though.

The Star Trek 3000 game can be converted to use the Fuller/DK'Tronics sound unit by modifying 2 lines of BASIC:
  • Modify Line 2 so variables O1=63 and O2=95 (yes that is the letter 'O')
  • Modify Line 4 so variable sd=0 (rather than IN 223)
RUN the program again, and it is better than BEEPer noises - but only just :)

128K users can enjoy it too by running the game in 48K mode and setting O1=65533 and O2=49149