Little bugs in the database

This is the place to request ZXDB corrections (add missing data or fix incorrect information)

Moderators: druellan, pavero

StooB
Dynamite Dan

Re: Little bugs in the database

Post by StooB »

druellan wrote: Sun May 26, 2019 8:47 pm I also found an Hungarian magazine: http://sinclair.hu/kiadvany_download.ph ... Zci2U9NpZm
The translation reads: "David Reidy says, "Wheelie broke very slowly, but we sold it for more than 12 months, which is remarkable." The games were still made in the simple roles already outlined, and the graphics of Wheelie were entirely David's work, but he was waving an ambitious plan that he could no longer have as a sow graphic. Well, I had a really knowledgeable man who could have had a choice, like Keith, who had been working for them for a long time."

That seems to be part of the Sinclair User #36 article: https://archive.org/details/sinclair-user-magazine-036 , but I can't find that part! :?
Sounds more like Retro Gamer #17:

"The graphics in everything up to Wheelie were Dave’s own work (“as you can probably tell”), but it was clear that the ambitious plans for building a complete school on the Spectrum meant getting a proper artist in. Luckily, he had one handy – Keith Warrington, who’d already illustrated the ads and packaging for all of Microsphere’s games since Crevasse/Hotfoot."

Fahnn wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2019 4:16 pm I've just been looking at Microsphere's games and David Reidy is only credited on the Skool games, Contact Sam Cruise and a book, but didn't he program all their stuff, Wheelie and Skyranger and so on? Actually none of the other releases have author credits as far as I can see (unless I'm doing it wrong).
The same Retro Gamer suggests Sky Ranger was his too:

"Microsphere’s only misfire. Sky Ranger made an ambitious and largely successful stab at proper 3D. But Dave – like other coders who spent too much time fiddling around with show-off graphics routines on underpowered home micros – forgot to put a decent game in."
✓ Reviewed
druellan
Dynamite Dan

Post by druellan »

Thanks [mention]StooB[/mention] I think we can conclude the code & graphics was Reidy's, there is little room to speculate otherwise.
✓ Reviewed
druellan
Dynamite Dan

Post by druellan »

StooB wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2019 9:48 am Italia '90
Loading screen has (C) 1989 on it, but there are no magazine references until April 1990 so the year of release should be 1990.
The 1990 release by "Virgin Mastertronic" can be removed - Virgin Mastertronic own Virgin Games at this time.
Hi StooB.
I'm trying to reach a consensus about what to do on cases like this one.
Here we have Virgin Games and Virgin Mastetronic, both are the same company. The inlay has Virgin Games logo, but on the back it says "copyright Virgin Mastetronic"

So, I think the idea is to honor the label chosen by the core company to represent the game publication?
[mention]Einar Saukas[/mention] is that correct?
StooB
Dynamite Dan

Post by StooB »

The Magnum lightgun games are the only ones specifically on the "Virgin Mastertronic" label:

8BitAG
Dynamite Dan

Post by 8BitAG »

8BitAG wrote: Mon Nov 12, 2018 6:18 pm The games...

Lost in the Desert
https://spectrumcomputing.co.uk/index.p ... 96&id=9914

and

Crash
https://spectrumcomputing.co.uk/index.p ... 6&id=15920

are actually the *same* game.

The game was billed as 'Lost in the Desert' when it appear on The Guild's Quill Thrill Volume 1 compilation, so 'Lost in the Desert' seems the best title to list it under.

Quill Thrill Vol 1
https://spectrumcomputing.co.uk/index.p ... 6&id=13168

I hope to discover the name of the author at some point.
An update on this one... as I've just been on this entry having seen it being played in the 'text adventure attempt thread'.

We've actually got a second game here with the same title!

The 'white text on blue' game Lost in the Desert (also referred previously to as Crash) *is* as I said The Guild game 'Lost in the Desert' from the Quill Thrill compilation...

This is the game detailed here https://spectrumcomputing.co.uk/index.p ... 96&id=9914
and listed in the TZX https://archive.org/download/World_of_S ... rt.tzx.zip
and all the associated compilations such as Quill Thrill and the Adventure Probe offer tape.

There is nothing wrong with that entry.

BUT there is also a Z80 snapshot on that page is a completely different game with the same name!

It's blue on white. Is also called 'Lost in the Desert'. But is not the game that was sold by The Guild.

It seems to have been incorrectly linked to the other game back in the WOS days!

So... the Z80 file, is a separate/different game and needs its own game page.

https://archive.org/download/World_of_S ... rt.z80.zip

I will do some research to see if I can track down any information about this "new" title!
8-bit Text Adventure Gamer - games - research.
8BitAG
Dynamite Dan

Post by 8BitAG »

8BitAG wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2019 11:15 pm So... the Z80 file, is a separate/different game and needs its own game page.

https://archive.org/download/World_of_S ... rt.z80.zip

I will do some research to see if I can track down any information about this "new" title!
Aha! It's the Walter Pooley game 'The Pyramid'

which we already have an entry for...

https://spectrumcomputing.co.uk/index.p ... 6&id=10901

...so it just needs an "also known as" 'Lost in the Desert' on that page.

And the Z80 file removing from the Lost in the Desert page.
✓ Reviewed
PeterJ
Site Admin

Post by PeterJ »

8BitAG wrote: Sat Dec 01, 2018 4:02 pm The text adventure...

Alicia en el Pais de las Maravillas https://spectrumcomputing.co.uk/index.p ... 96&id=5942

is listed as an adventure game: text only rather than Adventure Game: Text/Illustrated

Wamwort https://spectrumcomputing.co.uk/index.p ... 96&id=7172

is listed as being produced with the PAWs...

...Looking at the game, it was not produced using the PAWs.
[mention]8BitAG[/mention] - Can I just double check that you believe that this was just a BASIC program, and not created with any adventure system? Cheers.
8BitAG
Dynamite Dan

Post by 8BitAG »

PeterJ wrote: Sun Jun 28, 2020 5:29 pm Can I just double check that you believe that this was just a BASIC program, and not created with any adventure system? Cheers.
I don't believe it was just a BASIC program; although a chunk of it is in BASIC. (You can break into it and take a look). However, it was not created with the PAW.

StooB
Dynamite Dan

Post by StooB »

StooB wrote: Sat Dec 22, 2018 3:42 pm IJK Software (6058) is not from or owned by the BBC (1484).

UK Software (14896), owner of Strobe (14006) should be IJK Software (6058).
PeterJ wrote: Sat Dec 22, 2018 3:58 pm @StooB I find it fascinating that these little bugs have been sitting there for close on 20 years and they are now being found. Great stuff!
Still not fixed 20 months later either!

✓ Reviewed
PeterJ
Site Admin

Post by PeterJ »

[mention]druellan[/mention] is working through the various bug threads as quickly as possible, and [mention]Einar Saukas[/mention] and I help when we can. At least it's not nine years :D

It is longer than I would hope, but real life and work will always trump hobbies (unless you are very lucky), and we do the best we can we the time we have. You just have to be patient I'm afraid. Comments like the above don't improve motivation though after a long day at work and a tour of the M25 in the rain.
Einar Saukas
Bugaboo

Post by Einar Saukas »

StooB wrote: Sat Dec 22, 2018 3:42 pmIJK Software (6058) is not from or owned by the BBC (1484).

UK Software (14896), owner of Strobe (14006) should be IJK Software (6058).
This item is currently on hold pending further investigation...

We know IJK Software was a small company created and owned by John S. Sinclair (main programmer), Keith Sinclair (his father), and Ian Sinclair (his uncle). It was described by Sinclair User as "a top BBC software house" that primarily created games for BBC Micro and later Oric. Considering that it stopped directly publishing games in 1985, does it mean it was sold in 1985, perhaps to BBC? It would explain the reason old WoS marked that BBC was the "last owner".

Also according to old WoS archive, Strobe was "derived from" UK Software. If UK Software is just a mispelling of IJK Software, does it mean IJK Software was sold in 1985, then the previous owners of IJK created Strobe instead? If that's the case, then ZXDB must be updated to indicate that Strobe was derived from IJK Software, instead of owned.
StooB
Dynamite Dan

Post by StooB »

Einar Saukas wrote: Thu Aug 27, 2020 8:34 pm Also according to old WoS archive, Strobe was "derived from" UK Software. If UK Software is just a mispelling of IJK Software, does it mean IJK Software was sold in 1985, then the previous owners of IJK created Strobe instead? If that's the case, then ZXDB must be updated to indicate that Strobe was derived from IJK Software, instead of owned.
No, Strobe was owned by I J K.

Crimebusters Inc was released on the Strobe label:

but it was I J K who responded to the piracy claims:
https://spectrumcomputing.co.uk/page.ph ... 933&page=6

There's no evidence anywhere that the BBC bought I J K or Strobe - it seems that somebody interpreted them being a "BBC software house" as "owned by the BBC", rather than a software house who mainly sold BBC titles. If anyone bought I J K then it was Tynesoft as they released a number of previously unreleased games with I J K on the loading screen in 1986 and 1987.

✓ Reviewed
Einar Saukas
Bugaboo

Post by Einar Saukas »

OK, that's a good theory. Except I don't think Tynesoft bought IJK because there's no evidence, also I remember reading somewhere that games published by Tynesoft explicitly said they were licensed from IJK, thus suggesting these are separate companies.

I will update this information in the next ZXDB release.
✓ Reviewed
8BitAG
Dynamite Dan

Post by 8BitAG »

Here's a reference to IJK being an active concern in 1987... coincidentally next to a Tynesoft review. :)
https://archive.org/details/AcornUser05 ... page/n139/
StooB
Dynamite Dan

Post by StooB »

Einar Saukas wrote: Thu Aug 27, 2020 8:34 pm Considering that it stopped directly publishing games in 1985, does it mean it was sold in 1985, perhaps to BBC? It would explain the reason old WoS marked that BBC was the "last owner".
Found some confirmation from this interview with John Sinclair. I J K wasn't sold to anyone but "eventually withered and died". They then started a company caled Duplidata who did the duplication for Ocean and BT.

Duplidata was dissolved in 1999, but its successor, Techpoint is still going in Blackpool and still has a Sinclair in charge. John Sinclair is running a company called Tetra Systems in Scotland.
druellan
Dynamite Dan

Post by druellan »

StooB wrote: Tue Feb 26, 2019 10:30 am Black Tiger (9310)
and
Street Fighter II (9426)

are published by US Gold (14899), not Go! (5416). (source: boxes)
Black Tiger, seems that originally was intended to be published by Go!, based on the adverts, but finally all the Capcom conversions got published by U.S. Gold. (that part confirmed).

But...
StooB wrote: Tue Feb 26, 2019 10:30 am US Gold and Go! were not owned by CentreSoft (2312) - they were all separate entities. (source: The Story of US Gold)
Something interesting on the adverts, at the bottom there is a line:

So, there is a relation between Go! and U.S. Gold. Perhaps "owned" is not the best way to link the two labels, but I want to keep some relation between them.
StooB
Dynamite Dan

Post by StooB »

druellan wrote: Wed Jan 06, 2021 7:36 pm But...
StooB wrote: Tue Feb 26, 2019 10:30 am US Gold and Go! were not owned by CentreSoft (2312) - they were all separate entities. (source: The Story of US Gold)
Something interesting on the adverts, at the bottom there is a line:

So, there is a relation between Go! and U.S. Gold. Perhaps "owned" is not the best way to link the two labels, but I want to keep some relation between them.

The story according to the book is that Geoff Brown (who owned part of US Gold) created Go! in an attempt to cut the directors of Ocean (who also owned part of US Gold) out of the profits:
"But there was a rationale behind launching GO! which had a lot to do with the fact that of every US Gold game that sold half of the proceeds went to Woods and Ward. As Tim admits, ‘We launched GO! to shift products away from US Gold into another brand and company and keep them out of Jon and David’s hands.’ The company was called GO! Media Holdings Ltd, but it could hardly have missed the attention of watchful Ocean eyes that the adverts carried the address: Units 2/3 Holford Way... US Gold and CentreSoft’s offices.‘ Jon and David caught on very quickly what GO! was there for and threatened to sue us."
The independent company Go! was absorbed into US Gold in early 1988 and was accompanied by a change in branding between Lazer Tag and Gunsmoke with the Go! logo being removed from the cover:

Image Image

The next release, Street Fighter added the words "a division of US Gold" to the small print.

The rebranded Go! continued purely as a label for Capcom conversions, and it's last release was Last Duel in early 1989. US Gold's next Capcom title was Forgotten Worlds which keeps the Go! colour scheme but removes all references to Go! Media Holdings, and Go! was never heard of again.

Image Image

However, as Go! is listed as owned by Eidos (probably Square Enix now) and it wasn't founded by US Gold, there's no way to accurately link the two in ZXDB any more than you can link Argus Press to Bug Byte.
druellan
Dynamite Dan

Post by druellan »

The independent company Go! was absorbed into US Gold in early 1988 and was accompanied by a change in branding between Lazer Tag and Gunsmoke with the Go! logo being removed from the cover:
Gotit. Looks like another case on where we need a proper timeline to keep track of these events, but let's say that eventually the label got officially owned by U.S. GoId, if we leave that on the database is not historically wrong.
StooB
Dynamite Dan

Post by StooB »

StooB wrote: Thu Feb 28, 2019 1:25 pm International Match Day

was released in 1986, not in 1985 when there were no 128K machines to play it on.

Stars Spectrum issue 05 - Juegos

this 48k covertape from 1985 presumably has Match Day on it rather than International Match Day, however it's denied distribution due to the Ultimate titles so cannot check

Stars on the 128:

the comment:
not a compilation tape, but four separate tapes packaged together
should be deleted: it is a compilation tape!

Rambo

was released in 1986, rather than 1985 as planned - source: Sinclair User.

✓ Reviewed
Despite being marked as "Reviewed", none of these have been fixed!
druellan
Dynamite Dan

Post by druellan »

Hi! They are! Sorry I didn't provide any feedback, the patch is waiting to be merged on the next (or the next after the next) ZXDB update. I'm still roaming this thread catching reports, so, you'll probably going to find more cases, but don't hesitate on point things out, better to be safe than sorry.

About this particular report, this are my notes:
On Stars Spectrum issue 05, the game included, confirmed is a translated version of Match Day 48k
Rambo, the game was still under development in December 1985 - https://archive.org/stream/your-spectru ... 5#mode/1up
Rambo, MH review from December 31, January 6 1986, also, the game was announced as a 1986 release.
And this is my progress on the year. This fixes are still not submitted to the database.
I'm currently working other projects, so I'm a bit slow, plus, I have problems with the #20098 (there is a file dated 1990 copyright Virgin Mastetronic on the Italia '90 entry, I have no idea what to do with it), but I intend to go full speed soon and close as much as I can on this thread, so I can jump to Cover Artists 2 and Little Bugs 4.

StooB
Dynamite Dan

Post by StooB »

druellan wrote: Fri Jan 29, 2021 5:51 pm I have problems with the #20098
While you're working on Italia 90, it needs to have another tie-in licence because it's also a conversion of the arcade game World Trophy Soccer from Arcadia (who are owned by Virgin Mastertronic). This is the arcade museum url for it.

This is the reason there's 1989 on the loading screen!

druellan
Dynamite Dan

Post by druellan »

StooB wrote: Fri Jan 29, 2021 6:48 pm This is the reason there's 1989 on the loading screen!
Yep, while on the inlays and adverts there is a clear (c) 1990. This is usually the main reason why years are wrong, pretty sure when Martijn added the title to the database he still didn't have the inlays to double check.
The problem with this one is that we have a tape image correctly dated 1990, incorrectly published by Virgin Mastertronic Ltd

But looking at the tape image, seems to be binary identical to the Virgin Games version (both Speedlock 7), changing only the tape pauses, so, I'm probably update it as "another version" of the Virgin Games release.
StooB
Dynamite Dan

Post by StooB »

druellan wrote: Sat Jan 30, 2021 12:16 am The problem with this one is that we have a tape image correctly dated 1990, incorrectly published by Virgin Mastertronic Ltd

But looking at the tape image, seems to be binary identical to the Virgin Games version (both Speedlock 7), changing only the tape pauses, so, I'm probably update it as "another version" of the Virgin Games release.
Virgin Games was part of Virgin Mastertronic between 1989 and 1991 so it is the same version, they just named the file differently.
p13z
Manic Miner

Post by p13z »

"Smudge & the Moonies"
https://spectrumcomputing.co.uk/index.p ... 96&id=4580

Is actually called "Smudge & the MoonEEs" - with two Es - not "MoonIEs"
- according to the title screens and cover art for this game, the review for it in YS, and adverts for the re-release on the "Sparklers" label.

It has AKAs listed as:
"Smudge and the Moonees" and
"Smudge and the Moonies" (without the ampersand).

The think the real title wants changing - and the AKAs adjusting accordingly.
✓ Reviewed
Einar Saukas
Bugaboo

Post by Einar Saukas »

8BitAG wrote: Sat Jan 19, 2019 9:40 pm The Semi-Detached at the End of the Street
https://spectrumcomputing.co.uk/index.p ... 6&id=15138

was initially published in 1984 by Simple Soft (UK, presumably)

on the B-Side of...

[New entry!] The Rubber Maze
About Semi-Detached:

Was it only published on the B-side of Rubber Maze, or was it later also published separately by Simple Soft?