Little bugs in the database

This is the place for general discussion and updates about the ZXDB Database. This forum is not specific to Spectrum Computing.

Moderator: druellan

Einar Saukas
Manic Miner

Re: Little bugs in the database

Post by Einar Saukas » Fri Oct 19, 2018 8:32 pm

Juan F. Ramirez wrote:
Mon Oct 15, 2018 5:55 am
Another supposedly wrong loading screen:

Howard the Duck by Activision:

It's from the Hello! Games re-release.
Fixed! This will be in the next update.
1 x

Einar Saukas
Manic Miner

Post by Einar Saukas » Fri Oct 19, 2018 9:22 pm

Juan F. Ramirez wrote:
Thu Oct 11, 2018 5:34 am
Booty shows this loading screen:

It seems from a re-release version. It isn't the beautiful original screen.
It's from a compilation, not a re-release.

Right now, there's no way to differentiate screens from compilations, in either ZXDB or WoS. I will need more time to consider the best solution to this issue...
0 x

R-Tape
Site Admin

Post by R-Tape » Fri Oct 19, 2018 9:24 pm

Einar Saukas wrote:
Fri Oct 19, 2018 9:22 pm

Right now, there's no way to differentiate screens from compilations, in either ZXDB or WoS. I will need more time to consider the best solution to this issue...
If it's not easy to prioritise them, couldn't the compilation screen be removed entirely? The only loading screen worth seeing in Booty is the one with the ship.
1 x

Einar Saukas
Manic Miner

Post by Einar Saukas » Fri Oct 19, 2018 9:37 pm

Juan F. Ramirez wrote:
Tue Oct 16, 2018 8:11 am
The SC inlays are generally in better condition than the archive.org's ones (better scanned: colour, resolution, inclu...) so why keep all those archive.org inlays if there are better inlays in here in SC? I find it 'redundant'.
As you wrote, they are generally better. Not always better.

Someone would need to check them all, one by one, to see if there's any difference to justfy preserving both. Then compile a detailed list of all redundant files that should be removed.

Juan F. Ramirez wrote:
Tue Oct 16, 2018 8:11 am
Would it be too tedious to remove them from the database?
If someone provides me a list (or spreadsheet) of all redundant inlays, I can remove them easily.
0 x

Einar Saukas
Manic Miner

Post by Einar Saukas » Fri Oct 19, 2018 9:54 pm

pavero wrote:
Tue Oct 16, 2018 1:28 pm
Exactly. There is also my opinion.

I tried to communicate with Einar several times about this topic, but I never got any answer.
Sorry, that's my fault! I thought I answered it already, but it seems I didn't :(

pavero wrote:
Nevertheless, I wouldn't remove them from ZXDB, because these informations can be still useful for someone else. So I would add a new attribute e.g. Archive and all inlays with Archive=1 wouldn't display at SC.
Don't worry. Files originally imported from Martijn's WoS are NEVER deleted from ZXDB. Whenever one of these files is considered obsolete for any reason, the reference to this file is moved to a separate table called "extras", together with an explanation for the reason it was moved ("replaced by updated version", "redundant loading screen", "corrupted file", etc). This way, if anyone gets any backup from Martijn's WoS and doesn't see the file in ZXDB based sites, the person can look at "extras" to find out the reason this file is not available anymore.

pavero wrote:
I have the list of all inlays which should be hidden, becuase they were replaced by better version. So it would be very easy to realise it.
Please send me the list!
0 x

Einar Saukas
Manic Miner

Post by Einar Saukas » Fri Oct 19, 2018 9:56 pm

R-Tape wrote:
Fri Oct 19, 2018 9:24 pm
Einar Saukas wrote:
Fri Oct 19, 2018 9:22 pm

If it's not easy to prioritise them, couldn't the compilation screen be removed entirely? The only loading screen worth seeing in Booty is the one with the ship.
I don't like the idea of throwing away any content from the database, just to improve visuals. I'm sure we can figure out a better solution!
0 x

Einar Saukas
Manic Miner

Post by Einar Saukas » Fri Oct 19, 2018 10:03 pm

pavero wrote:
Thu Oct 18, 2018 5:39 pm
I don't believe there is any re-released version by Argus Press. There is only one original release from AnF+Argus Press and re-release by Bug-Byte.
Are you sure? The archive contains different tapes for A'n'F, Argus, and Bug-Byte releases...
0 x

Einar Saukas
Manic Miner

Post by Einar Saukas » Fri Oct 19, 2018 10:07 pm

Rorthron wrote:
Fri Oct 19, 2018 8:10 am
It might be worth trying to put together a separate table of publisher affiliations, though.
ZXDB already contains this information. If you vist the CORE page at SC page, then click on either Argus or Bug-Byte, you will see they are both owned by Grandslam.

Can anyone suggest a better way for SC to display this information?
0 x

StooB
Microbot

Post by StooB » Mon Oct 22, 2018 11:11 am

Einar Saukas wrote:
Fri Oct 19, 2018 10:03 pm
pavero wrote:
Thu Oct 18, 2018 5:39 pm
I don't believe there is any re-released version by Argus Press. There is only one original release from AnF+Argus Press and re-release by Bug-Byte.
Are you sure? The archive contains different tapes for A'n'F, Argus, and Bug-Byte releases...
According to tzxlist, CORE.tzx.zip is from "Spectrum Games Compilation" (https://spectrumcomputing.co.uk/index.p ... 6&id=14685).

CORE(ArgusPressSoftwareLtd).tzx.zip is the original version, however Argus are only doing the 'marketing' according to this review.

The final two A'n'F releases after CORE are Xeno and WIbstars which were also marketed by Argus but are shown as published by A 'n' F in ZXDB.

Finally, the Bug Byte re-release year should be 1987 according to the reviews.
0 x

Alessandro
Manic Miner

La Città Fantasma

Post by Alessandro » Wed Oct 24, 2018 5:25 pm

La Città Fantasma is not only wrongly spelt ("Fantasimo"), but being a hack translated and sold as an original game, as it was common in Italy back in the day with the infamous "tape magazines" (Load 'n' Run - which also included original software coded by readers, however this is not the case -, Program, Special Program, Special Playgames, Tutto Spectrum etc.), should not be hosted in the archive.
0 x