Little bugs in the database

This is the place for general discussion and updates about the ZXDB Database. This forum is not specific to Spectrum Computing.
R-Tape
Site Admin

Re: Little bugs in the database

Post by R-Tape » Wed Nov 14, 2018 6:55 am

8BitAG wrote:
Mon Nov 12, 2018 6:18 pm
The games...

Lost in the Desert
https://spectrumcomputing.co.uk/index.p ... 96&id=9914

and

Crash
https://spectrumcomputing.co.uk/index.p ... 6&id=15920

are actually the *same* game.
Does that make 'Crash' and alias of LITD, or a re-release of it? (Or should Crash be removed altogether?)
0 x

8BitAG
Microbot

Post by 8BitAG » Wed Nov 14, 2018 7:48 am

Well, 'crash' is just the name of the program header when it loads. Perhaps the author originally was going to call it something like 'Crash in the Desert'.

The only publication I've found, so far, of the game has been The Guild compilation where it was definitely called 'Lost in the Desert'. Tony may have changed the name when he put the compilation together, I suppose. It's hard to work out where the game came from. Those early Guild compilations were a real mixture of republished games, Tony's new ports to Spectrum and, I'm going to guess, maybe public domain games on other platforms that he converted.

It's probably worth keeping 'Crash' as an alias for two reasons. One, if a game or reference game ever appears called 'Crash' or 'Crash in the Desert', it'll be easier for people to make the connection. And secondly, it'll stop people telling you you've got the game 'Crash' missing in your database when they stumble upon it elsewhere. :)
0 x

Juan F. Ramirez
Dynamite Dan

Post by Juan F. Ramirez » Sat Nov 17, 2018 3:29 pm

Just found that, in the game The Pyramid, the inlay called PyramidThe.jpg is actually a Paxman 're-release cassette inlay', not an original 'cassette inlay' as it is shown in the entry of the game.

The file PyramidThe_2.jpg should be the only inlay considered as 'cassette inlay' (original release).
0 x

druellan
Manic Miner

Post by druellan » Sat Nov 17, 2018 6:26 pm

Looking at the page about "The Edge" - https://spectrumcomputing.co.uk/index.p ... l_id=14422

Something is not wright here. Seems like is intended to be a link, but the site is trying to show a picture.

0 x
Un buen día me puse a probar juegos de ZX Spectrum a ciegas en Youtube, terminó siendo:
📺 Retroarqueología en Youtube

PeterJ
Site Admin

Post by PeterJ » Sat Nov 17, 2018 8:14 pm

druellan wrote:
Sat Nov 17, 2018 6:26 pm
Looking at the page about "The Edge" - https://spectrumcomputing.co.uk/index.p ... l_id=14422

Something is not wright here. Seems like is intended to be a link, but the site is trying to show a picture.

Thank you for reporting this. It seems be be an issue with all the publisher pages. I think it's probably a site issue rather than ZXDB, but we will check.
0 x

PeterJ
Site Admin

Post by PeterJ » Sat Nov 17, 2018 8:17 pm

Juan F. Ramirez wrote:
Sat Nov 17, 2018 3:29 pm
Just found that, in the game The Pyramid, the inlay called PyramidThe.jpg is actually a Paxman 're-release cassette inlay', not an original 'cassette inlay' as it is shown in the entry of the game.

The file PyramidThe_2.jpg should be the only inlay considered as 'cassette inlay' (original release).
Thank you. There is also PyramidThe(PaxmanPromotions).jpg listed. We will take a look.
0 x

Juan F. Ramirez
Dynamite Dan

Post by Juan F. Ramirez » Sat Nov 17, 2018 9:56 pm

Whenever I try to add a review in spectrum20.org from the SC database, a blank screen with the message 'Incomplete response received from application' appears, both in Chrome & Edge.

Anyone with the same problem?
0 x

PeterJ
Site Admin

Post by PeterJ » Sat Nov 17, 2018 10:11 pm

Is this an old, or more recent title @Juan F. Ramirez
0 x

Juan F. Ramirez
Dynamite Dan

Post by Juan F. Ramirez » Sat Nov 17, 2018 10:20 pm

PeterJ wrote:
Sat Nov 17, 2018 10:11 pm
Any game. I tried random games like Black Lamp, Sabre Wulf or the games I'm reviewing in the Microhobby thread. I think it's a general problem since today. Yesterday I could write some reviews.
0 x

R-Tape
Site Admin

Post by R-Tape » Sat Nov 17, 2018 10:45 pm

Juan F. Ramirez wrote:
Sat Nov 17, 2018 10:20 pm
PeterJ wrote:
Sat Nov 17, 2018 10:11 pm
Any game. I tried random games like Black Lamp, Sabre Wulf or the games I'm reviewing in the Microhobby thread. I think it's a general problem since today. Yesterday I could write some reviews.
Aye, I noticed the same thing earlier today, and wrongly attributed it to wonky internet. It's the same if you go directly to Spectrum 2.0, so it must be an issue for Phil to look into (and he can get up to date with ZXDB while he's at it :mrgreen: PHILLLLLL!!)
0 x