Info regarding media - e.g. tape/disk/ROM cartridge etc?

This is the place for general discussion and updates about the ZXDB Database. This forum is not specific to Spectrum Computing.

Moderator: druellan

richl
Dizzy

Info regarding media - e.g. tape/disk/ROM cartridge etc?

Post by richl »

Sorry if this is covered somewhere already but I did have a quick search and wasn't able to find a thread that seemed to answer my question.

I don't know if my query relates to ZXDB or whether it actually relates to the Spectrum Computing site but I assume that the site displays all the info that is stored in ZXDB... right?

Getting to the point: I noticed that on WOS, even titles that are denienced have at least some reference to the media that they were released on - e.g. cassette, disk etc. They also have the price for each version.

e.g. Ghouls 'n' Ghosts

http://www.worldofspectrum.org/infoseek ... id=0009352
Original price: £8.99 (£14.99 for disk version)

vs

https://spectrumcomputing.co.uk/index.p ... 96&id=9352
Original Price: £8.99

Maybe I'm doing something wrong but if I didn't also visit WOS then I'd be under the impression that the game was only released on tape, or at least I wouldn't know if there was a disk version without maybe having to do some checking of the original adverts etc.

Is the price information regarding disks (and other formats?) not stored in ZXDB? And does it store information about whether a title was available on different formats?

I've also had a look at a couple of other titles such as Jet Pac which were available on ROM cartridge as well as cassette. They seem to have just have SPOT comments that mention this.

Like I said, I don't know if this stuff is already covered in the database but if it isn't, is it something that should be? I find myself still using the out-of-date database over at WOS because it is handy for this kind of thing.
Einar Saukas
Bugaboo

Re: Info regarding media - e.g. tape/disk/ROM cartridge etc?

Post by Einar Saukas »

This information is stored in ZXDB. For instance, there's a separate field called "disk_price". But SC doesn't currently show this information.

I can work with the SC team to help them display this information.
richl
Dizzy

Post by richl »

Cheers, Einar! I thought it probably would be stored in ZXDB but it would great if Spectrum Computing could display it.

I occasionally come across stuff like games on disk that have no reference to +3 versions on WOS but since the info there hasn't been updated in years (yeah, I know... like a stuck record! ;-)) it's not always a reliable source and it'd be great if SC was showing the latest (and greatest!) info that's stored in ZXDB.
PeterJ
Site Admin

Post by PeterJ »

Einar Saukas wrote: Fri Oct 19, 2018 5:30 pm I can work with the SC team to help them display this information.
Thank you [mention]Einar Saukas[/mention] , I will contact you.

Peter
StooB
Dynamite Dan

Post by StooB »

Kind of related, would it be possible to indicate on covertape contents where titles are only demo versions?

For example, on https://spectrumcomputing.co.uk/index.p ... t Seven #8, there are demos of TMNT and G-LOC but you have to look at the tape inlay scan to see that they're not complete games.

SImilarly, on the TMNT and G-LOC pages , it says those titles are featured on compilations, but it doesn't say which one's are the demo versions.

It appears to be stored in ZXDB as a "D" in compilations.variationtype_id.