The Globe

This is the place to request ZXDB corrections (add missing data or fix incorrect information)

Moderators: druellan, pavero

R-Tape
Site Admin

Re: The Globe

Post by R-Tape »

Would the best solution be to remove the TZX, and separating the author IDs for the mysterious J. Wilson and Zenobi John?

There would be no need for a disclaimer then.
Einar Saukas
Bugaboo

Post by Einar Saukas »

I'm assigning this title to a separate author J. Wilson, but also adding a disclaimer. Otherwise people will frequently contact us to point out we are missing the Zenobi credit.

Instead of removing the other file, I'm marking it as "hacked (probably)". I don't think we should remove a file unless we can be 100% sure it's not authentic. Also if it's removed, I bet people will also contact us to provide "the original tape that we missed".
8BitAG
Dynamite Dan

Post by 8BitAG »

Yeah, unless all the other sites change their references that is certainly an issue.

We can be 100% sure it's not authentic but it is quite an interesting artefact in itself. Certainly a cautionary tale when it comes to the whole process of archiving. Luckily John is still around to set the record straight. :)

(If I had more spare time, I'd fix the bugs in the adventure so it could be completed.)
8-bit Text Adventure Gamer - games - research.
R-Tape
Site Admin

Post by R-Tape »

Aye, agreed. Just fulfilling my role by of giving a naff solution that Einar can replace with a better one :mrgreen:
8BitAG wrote: Tue Oct 23, 2018 6:46 pm (If I had more spare time, I'd fix the bugs in the adventure so it could be completed.)
Is it so flawed? I hacked it to look for clues regarding the author, and saw none, but it's clearly a full game with a congrats sequence.

As for the author: we can probably (but not definitely) rule out Jackie Wilson, who died in 1984, but not Jocky, who outlived the Speccy's commercial era to pass on in 2012.

It's a start.
8BitAG
Dynamite Dan

Post by 8BitAG »

R-Tape wrote: Tue Oct 23, 2018 8:45 pm Is it so flawed? I hacked it to look for clues regarding the author, and saw none, but it's clearly a full game with a congrats sequence.
Yeah, both John and I have been having a good look at it and we've found the issues that Terri mentions in the partial solution here...

http://solutionarchive.com/file/id%2C1311/

...namely there's no routine in place to create the small cylinder, you can't get to location 153 and you need to carry the sword to trigger a lot of the actions.
8BitAG
Dynamite Dan

Post by 8BitAG »

John has put up a blog post about the game...

http://www.zenobi.co.uk/2018/10/global-mystery.html
✓ Reviewed
PeterJ
Site Admin

Post by PeterJ »

All bug reports in this thread were already applied to ZXDB database, therefore I'm now locking this thread for convenience.