Proposal: ZXDB marking in posts?

This is the place for general discussion and updates about the ZXDB Database. This forum is not specific to Spectrum Computing.

Moderator: druellan

Vampyre
Manic Miner

Re: Proposal: ZXDB marking in posts?

Post by Vampyre »

Don't know if I'm missing something here but wouldn't a ZXDB Trello board be an ideal solution? It's free, can limit access if you wish (or just make it publicly accessible to everyone) and it's simply a case of each change request gets its own card. Once the request is complete move it from a Request List into a Completed List.
ZX Spectrum Reviews REST API: http://zxspectrumreviews.co.uk/
hikoki
Manic Miner

Post by hikoki »

Another option could be to host a bug tracker like mantisbt.org
Dunno if mantis can be integrated into phpbb, otherwise updates could be managed in a separate site.

slightly off-topic, this simple tool is practical and free, you just need a google sheet and follow these steps
https://support.awesome-table.com/hc/en ... es-Cabinet
make a subfolder for every title and every time you add files, changes are reflected automatically
permissions to a number of people can be assigned so they access this folder
Einar Saukas
Bugaboo

Post by Einar Saukas »

Vampyre wrote: Mon Dec 03, 2018 10:18 amDon't know if I'm missing something here but wouldn't a ZXDB Trello board be an ideal solution? It's free, can limit access if you wish (or just make it publicly accessible to everyone) and it's simply a case of each change request gets its own card. Once the request is complete move it from a Request List into a Completed List.
Technically that's a good solution. However in practice, if we required users to create a new Trello account and figure out how to use it properly, before they can post a bug report, I bet many people would give up reporting anything.

I agree with R-Tape that there's nothing really wrong with the current system. We shouldn't try to fix something that's not broken. Therefore we should only try to improve it as long as it doesn't impact users.

Taking into account everyone's feedback, I'm now convinced the only reasonable option would be a new like/love button for ZXDB. If that's not viable, then let's just keep the current process...
4thRock
Manic Miner

Post by 4thRock »

For me the simple solution would be use human readable marking and edit posts.

For example:
[updated ]
[duplicate of post #xxx ]

Might even work with forum searches, and no code change required.

I see no problem with having a moderator that's only active in certain topics / sub-topics, and only adds those tags.