Type-in games: unofficial translations, plagiarism and derivatives

This is the place for general discussion and updates about the ZXDB Database. This forum is not specific to Spectrum Computing.

Moderator: druellan

druellan
Dynamite Dan

Type-in games: unofficial translations, plagiarism and derivatives

Post by druellan »

Following the brief discussion we had with [mention]PeterJ[/mention] I'm starting to check some type-in games that have a spanish translation. Most of them have permission from the original publisher, but there are cases of plagiarism and derivatives that perhaps worth to note on the DB at some point. So far I've found:

Benny Bunny Litterbugs - https://spectrumcomputing.co.uk/index.p ... 6&id=24323

There is another version of this game: Hormiguero Maldito - https://spectrumcomputing.co.uk/index.p ... 96&id=2352
This version was sent to the MicroHobby magazine by a reader, and seems not only to be translated to Spanish, but also it has some modifications to the code. So, it is a derivative, but also fails to acknowledge the original author.

Blokman - https://spectrumcomputing.co.uk/index.php?cat=96&id=582

This game has two derivatives already noted on the comments: "cf. Stampabout and TNT" signed by different authors, so, perhaps there is some plagiarism involved.
https://spectrumcomputing.co.uk/index.p ... id=0017067
https://spectrumcomputing.co.uk/index.p ... id=0027805

There are two Spanish translations already listed on the "main downloads" section (not sure the source).
Also, the MicroHobby magazine published another version by the name of "Pepe Dinamitero", that is in fact plagiarism (acknowledged by the magazine) and an unofficial translation. This version is NOT on the ZXDB but can be found here: https://proyectobasiczx.wordpress.com/?s=blokman

Bingo - https://spectrumcomputing.co.uk/index.p ... 6&id=16262
This game has another unofficial version published on the MicroHobby magazine that is NOT in the ZXDB.
(There is also missing information I'm going to complete :) )

Spectrum Shoot - https://spectrumcomputing.co.uk/index.p ... 6&id=17328
This game has a Spanish translation, that is perhaps official (I'm checking).

So, what I think can be done is:
  • Keep adding official translations to the original entry, adding the information about the publisher.
    Unofficial translations without any alteration, can be added to the original entry marked as "unofficial".
    Start marking the derivatives we can find on the comments as "Based on" or "Unofficial derivative of" or "Unofficial version of".
    Start marking plagiarism on the comments as "Counterfeit of" or "Original author".
And also, not sure if worth updating the DB with counterfeits that are currently not listed, like "Pepe Dinamitero".

What do you think? Thanks!
druellan
Dynamite Dan

Re: Type-in games: unofficial translations, plagiarism and derivatives

Post by druellan »

Found another interesting one:

The original game seems to be "4 en Raya", 1984 VideoSpectrum (Spain):
https://spectrumcomputing.co.uk/index.p ... 6&id=18260

There is another game called "Cuatro en Linea", 1985, Software Editores (Spain). Not exactly the same game, but very similar:
https://spectrumcomputing.co.uk/index.p ... 6&id=24789

And another one, "Drop Four", 1987, ZX Computing (UK)
Again, not the same game (this one has no UDGs), but very similar
https://spectrumcomputing.co.uk/index.p ... 6&id=25761
Juan F. Ramirez
Bugaboo

Post by Juan F. Ramirez »

Some days ago I made this post

https://spectrumcomputing.co.uk/forum ... 0#p18562

I came across a game published in Microhobby Cassette #1, almost equal to 'Haunted House', published in Sinclair User. It was, in turn, plagiarised from a program published in C+VG.
More details in the post and game entry.
Ralf
Rick Dangerous

Post by Ralf »

You are doing a good research here!
druellan
Dynamite Dan

Post by druellan »

Juan F. Ramirez wrote: Thu Feb 07, 2019 3:09 pm Some days ago I made this post

https://spectrumcomputing.co.uk/forum ... 0#p18562

I came across a game published in Microhobby Cassette #1, almost equal to 'Haunted House', published in Sinclair User. It was, in turn, plagiarised from a program published in C+VG.
More details in the post and game entry.
Oh, great! Yes, if you find another one, please post it here, so if we decide to do something about it on the DB, we can walk this thread.
druellan
Dynamite Dan

Post by druellan »

Ralf wrote: Thu Feb 07, 2019 3:17 pm You are doing a good research here!
Thanks! I hope we can build a good sample list to figure out if worth to do something to mark or better organize this kind of things.
Juan F. Ramirez
Bugaboo

druellan wrote: Thu Feb 07, 2019 5:37 pm
Oh, great! Yes, if you find another one, please post it here, so if we decide to do something about it on the DB, we can walk this thread.
The question about 'Cazafantasmas' is that isn't appear in the Microhobby Cassette #1 games list. It appears [MOD] Haunted House instead, I mean, the SU plagiarised game, as Cazafantasmas hasn't got it's own game entry, and I think it should as it's a slightly different version (including spanish translation) as you can check in the link I posted above.

The question is, as I said in the post, I don't know if the MH game was a plagiarised version of the SU game, the C+VG or if it was published by permission of either one mag or the other.

Anyway, I think Cazafantasmas should have its own entry (and be included in the MH Cassette #1 list).
djnzx48
Manic Miner

Post by djnzx48 »

I noticed a few of these a while ago but I didn't get round to posting them. Here's one compilation I found, 10 Juegos I, which features some derivative games:

Huevos Alienigenas, 1984 by Microparadise Software (Spain)

Egg Saviour, 1983 by Virgin Books (UK)

Conductor Nocturno, 1984 by Microparadise Software (Spain)

3D Driver, 1983 by Virgin Books (UK)

Carrera Mortal, 1984 by Microparadise Software (Spain)

Death Race, 1983 by Virgin Books (UK)
djnzx48
Manic Miner

Post by djnzx48 »

And more from the same publisher. 10 Juegos II:

Bombardero, 1984 by Microparadise Software (Spain)

City Bomber, 1982 by Sinclair Programs (UK)
druellan
Dynamite Dan

Post by druellan »

djnzx48 wrote: Fri Feb 08, 2019 9:17 am I noticed a few of these a while ago but I didn't get round to posting them.
Interesting! I'm now pretty suspicious about the rest of the games on that compilation, hehe.
Seems interesting that the games from the first compilation are from Virgin Books and the second from Sinclair Programs. Can be an indicative that perhaps some kind of agreement was behind, or perhaps Microparadise just bought the books :D
The inlays are sadly not too informative, and the small text illegible.
druellan
Dynamite Dan

Post by druellan »

Juan F. Ramirez wrote: Fri Feb 08, 2019 7:00 am The question is, as I said in the post, I don't know if the MH game was a plagiarised version of the SU game, the C+VG or if it was published by permission of either one mag or the other.
I can't remember if a booklet was included with this cassette or not. I want to know if this game was internal from the redaction or sent by a reader (that must be for sure plagiarism).
Juan F. Ramirez wrote: Fri Feb 08, 2019 7:00 am Anyway, I think Cazafantasmas should have its own entry (and be included in the MH Cassette #1 list).
Yes, first, because it is part of the compilation, but also I think that derivatives, and I include unofficial translations, must have their own entry and a comment linking them to the original source.
druellan
Dynamite Dan

Post by druellan »

Overall I think we can start adding comments to the games as needed, like "A spanish-translated version of..." or "A spanish-translated derivative of ..." in case the game has some major changes.
And for games we KNOW are officially or unofficially translated: "Unofficial Spanish translation of ...".
Juan F. Ramirez
Bugaboo

druellan wrote: Fri Feb 08, 2019 12:44 pm I can't remember if a booklet was included with this cassette or not. I want to know if this game was internal from the redaction or sent by a reader (that must be for sure plagiarism).
Yes, it came with a booklet (every issue did). Just check (if you don't know it) the great Microhobby Forever web. Go down by the left frame till 'varios'. Click on it and you'll see the scanned booklets of every issue, among other stuff.

In the editorial, the magazine encourage readers to send their own programs and win 15,000 pesetas. So I assume this first issue's programs weren't made by any reader, just by internal staff. Nothing about if the game was published in any other magazine before.
druellan
Dynamite Dan

Post by druellan »

Juan F. Ramirez wrote: Fri Feb 08, 2019 4:42 pm Yes, it came with a booklet (every issue did). Just check (if you don't know it) the great Microhobby Forever web. Go down by the left frame till 'varios'. Click on it and you'll see the scanned booklets of every issue, among other stuff.
OMG! Didn't noticed that! Excellent.
Juan F. Ramirez wrote: Fri Feb 08, 2019 4:42 pm So I assume this first issue's programs weren't made by any reader,
Yeah, that's also my thought, I'm checking the booklets right now and none of them seems to include information about the original author, so is not a reliable source of information anyway. Also, the editorial has no information about a UK license agreement.
djnzx48
Manic Miner

Post by djnzx48 »

druellan wrote: Fri Feb 08, 2019 12:04 pm
djnzx48 wrote: Fri Feb 08, 2019 9:17 am I noticed a few of these a while ago but I didn't get round to posting them.
Interesting! I'm now pretty suspicious about the rest of the games on that compilation, hehe.
Seems interesting that the games from the first compilation are from Virgin Books and the second from Sinclair Programs. Can be an indicative that perhaps some kind of agreement was behind, or perhaps Microparadise just bought the books :D
The inlays are sadly not too informative, and the small text illegible.
Well the first three games are all from the same book, Games for your ZX Spectrum. I have a feeling some of the other games are taken from somewhere else too, but I don't recognise any of them.
StooB
Dynamite Dan

Post by StooB »

druellan wrote: Fri Feb 08, 2019 12:44 pm
Juan F. Ramirez wrote: Fri Feb 08, 2019 7:00 am Anyway, I think Cazafantasmas should have its own entry (and be included in the MH Cassette #1 list).
Yes, first, because it is part of the compilation, but also I think that derivatives, and I include unofficial translations, must have their own entry and a comment linking them to the original source.
Is there really enough of a difference between these programs for them all to have separate entries? It seems to me that it would be better to just have the entry for the original C&VG type-in. The SU release should be Release #2 and the MH cassette as a "Compilation featuring this title", along with a comment about the legitimacy of the other versions. ZXDB is much more flexible for cases like this than WoS was.

Incidentally, the tap file claiming to be the Sinclair User version isn't the Sinclair User version. The "Please waite a moment" message at the start shows it's another version of the C&VG listing but with bad spelling.
druellan
Dynamite Dan

Post by druellan »

StooB wrote: Sat Feb 09, 2019 3:31 pm Is there really enough of a difference between these programs for them all to have separate entries?
Well, in this case perhaps no, because we don't have an author for the translated version and the title is close enough, but on other cases there are usually some kind of attribution and major changes on the title and perhaps other not-so-evident changes, so, I was aiming to simplify the process: think of unofficial translations as counterfeits or derivatives and add them as individual entries, but, I don't have a good insight on the ZXDB, so this is a completely open proposal ;)
zxbruno
Manic Miner

Post by zxbruno »

Astor software translated many games to Portuguese and released them with a Portuguese name.